A Dxaunting

Old Sep 14th 2005, 8:05 am
Just Joined

bosshog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Daunting prospect

:scared:

My husband and I have decided to give it all by leaving Blightly and heading off to NZ. We won't have jobs to go to but we have no little ones to worry about just ourselves. We very much hope to start a new life - and I mean new life.

How easy would it be for us to get jobs I work in a bank in the training department (Learning and Development) and my husband is a Quantity Surveyor.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before where you have just upsticks and headed off for a place in the sun (without a job) but some money to make a start?

We plan to tour about and see where the work is and the best place to live.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bosshog; Sep 14th 2005 at 8:13 am.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 9:24 am
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Daunting prospect

Originally Posted by bosshog

My husband and I have decided to give it all by leaving Blightly and heading off to NZ. We won't have jobs to go to but we have no little ones to worry about just ourselves. We very much hope to start a new life - and I mean new life.

How easy would it be for us to get jobs I work in a bank in the training department (Learning and Development) and my husband is a Quantity Surveyor.

Has anyone done this kind of thing before where you have just upsticks and headed off for a place in the sun (without a job) but some money to make a start?

I'm doing it soon. I fly out to Wellington on the 24th of January next year to stay with a friend. I'll start looking for work straight away through an agency that I'm already in contact with. Once I have a job offer the agency will apply for a work visa for me and fingers crossed I will be allowed to stay. Then my other half will fly out to meet me, we will find a place to rent and she will start looking for work. Once we both have jobs, have been there for a while and providing we are happy then we will apply for permanent residency.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 9:47 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Daunting prospect

Originally Posted by bosshog

Hi, welcome to the forum. We're doing something similar to you. We're going over on visitors visas on 29th September, we've got through the EOI stage and will be submitting our ITA within a month of arriving. We've been told from several agencies that employment is likely, though it might not happen in the first couple of months. My husband's a property manager and whilst we've been looking for jobs we've seen loads for quantity surveyors, so I think you'd be fine. Check out the current jobs at www.seek.co.nz That will give you an idea of where the jobs are. It's definitely easier to get jobs once you're there, we've been trying for six months and no-one will touch us until we land. The only exception to this is if you're on the immediate shortages list - you can check this out at www.immigration.govt.nz

There's loads of other links in the Really Useful Threads - one of them leads to a site specially set up for this forum, but I can't remember the address off the top of my head*, but it's really useful.

Even if you're only thinking about it get your EOI in now, the points may go up in the near future and whilst they're at 100 it's worth getting it in as the whole process without a job offer could take six months anyway, and it only costs £130.

We're not taking much money, just enough to keep us going and then to put as a deposit on a house. The majority of people have told us we're very brave, but a few think we're being pretty stupid and naive to think we can start a new life with two teenagers. Don't let anyone convince you that you can't do it, if you want it enough it will happen.

Any queries - just shout. They're a great bunch on here and someone will always have the answer and support you're looking for.

Good luck!

Jan

* sorry Paul! (webmaster of the fantastic helpful website)
Old Sep 14th 2005, 9:54 am
Just Joined

adnil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Dxaunting

Aussie and NZ are both doing their annual recruitment drive just now
if you buy the Construction News, it gives times and places for interviews here in the UK. Getting a job from this end means certain companies help with visas and relocation
Old Sep 14th 2005, 10:06 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by adnil
Aussie and NZ are both doing their annual recruitment drive just now
if you buy the Construction News, it gives times and places for interviews here in the UK. Getting a job from this end means certain companies help with visas and relocation
Where do you get Construction News from? I've googled it but it hasn't come up as a publication.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 10:13 am
Just Joined

adnil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Where do you get Construction News from? I've googled it but it hasn't come up as a publication.
hubby has been getting the construction new for years from our local newsagent, you may have to order it. I will try and find the website for you
Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:39 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Is this it Jan?? http://www.cnplus.co.uk/events/?ChannelID=79