Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

DVS-V- HRV SYSTEMS

DVS-V- HRV SYSTEMS

Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVS-V- HRV SYSTEMS

Hi there,
any heating engineers/or householders with good advice on the pros and cons of DVS systems -v- HRV out there.

Really worried about condensation and the accompanying health problems.
Would ideally like double glazing but have been told not cost effective
I notice a lot of new builds have heat pumps? Are they heat exchangers.
They seem to be a selling point on the high spec houses and act as air coolers/conditioners in summer-??
I gather from searching sites that DVS use heat from loft and force warm air through house and then out through gaps in windows and doors ????????
What if windows and doors fit well? What about the wasted warm air going outside??
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVS-V- HRV SYSTEMS

We have a house with an air conditioner and a DVR system (Lossnay) which is a home ventilation system. To be honest after we had the DVR system installed we thought it was alot of money for nothing. So we turned it off one night to find that we were wrong. Our house always had crying windows in the morning and with the DVR system that has dissapeared totally, when we turned it off one night the crying windows returned! The air pump is a great heater or air cooler but we tend to just open the windows if it gets too hot and we also have a wood burner for those really cool evenings.

In our previous house which had none of these we thought we had a warm and relatively cheap house to keep warm. We have been really surprised that our new house is @60% cheaper to heat. Now this could be the house, but I do put some of this down to the type of heating we now have.

I am not an engineer just a house owner commenting on their own experiences. As for Lossnay as a company they appeared good - but this is purely just my opinion. Good luck and happy hunting
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:03 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They definitely work! My dad used to sell similar systems in the UK 20 years ago and they are excellent for getting rid of damp and condensation.

DVS and HRV are similar to each other. I think HRV has more features like auto summer venting and stuff.

We have a DVS G3. Oh, and don't bother with the heater part. Even the DVS salesman said it's a waste of money and only slightly warms the air. It's not meant to heat the house.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:35 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

They def work, although our is house is not damp and gets all day sun, when you put heating on ie fire ect and then that hits 3mm glazing and you get the dew point, bang water runs of 90% of windows in NZ, i looked at DVS HRV and after quotes of upto $3k i bought an identical system from DIY store, and fitted one myself for $1400, and after 1 week we had dry windows, i did fit a heater unit because we have a tiled roof and no building paper, which in winter is cold up there, and to blow freezing cold air into your home is mad, the kids did mess with the computer control on wall and we got a huge power bill one month so we turned it off in summer, it def works good.

Heat pumps are like air conditioners, one unit outside and one in, converts cold air into hot, but the use of refridgerants, latest gadget in NZ, and in some un insulated houses a waste of time as all you are doing is heating the atmosphere, they recon you put a $1 in and get $4 out in heat, but when in realy cold areas the machine struggles and uses more power, so not sure how 1in4out will work in realy cols areas.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
They def work, although our is house is not damp and gets all day sun, when you put heating on ie fire ect and then that hits 3mm glazing and you get the dew point, bang water runs of 90% of windows in NZ, i looked at DVS HRV and after quotes of upto $3k i bought an identical system from DIY store, and fitted one myself for $1400, and after 1 week we had dry windows, i did fit a heater unit because we have a tiled roof and no building paper, which in winter is cold up there, and to blow freezing cold air into your home is mad, the kids did mess with the computer control on wall and we got a huge power bill one month so we turned it off in summer, it def works good.

Heat pumps are like air conditioners, one unit outside and one in, converts cold air into hot, but the use of refridgerants, latest gadget in NZ, and in some un insulated houses a waste of time as all you are doing is heating the atmosphere, they recon you put a $1 in and get $4 out in heat, but when in realy cold areas the machine struggles and uses more power, so not sure how 1in4out will work in realy cols areas.
thanks a load.
will def look into that.
Really all we want is warm, damp proof housing without 'Jack Frost in winter, despite his beautiful paintings.

It's the 'black mould' that really frightens me!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:11 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

This is one job i looked at where no ventilation under floor was the case, tenants were walking on rotten floors, only help up by lino, i see a lot of places like this, where old villas are sat directly onto the earth, no piles.this job turned into a $4k job.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...iffeterrac.jpg

This is one job i looked at where no ventilation under floor was the case, tenants were walking on rotten floors, only help up by lino, i see a lot of places like this, where old villas are sat directly onto the earth, no piles.this job turned into a $4k job.
Oh My God!

In your opinion would a recent build (after2003) have sorted out the problems associated with damp/condensation/mould.
Do they still use aluminium frames for windows?

Are tile roofs better than iron?
Are bricks better than render or cedar wood lap board?
And is double glazing available more widely now? (Not PVC)

Has the geology of NZ anything to do with the constraints in the building trade?
There seem to be more and more 'brick' houses going up, yet Canada and and Scandinavia still build beautiful houses with cedar wood.

Do they have proper ranges with back boilers that heat water and send it round the radiators in the house and allow you to cook on it. { I know it has to be kept lit- but only in winter. No-one has CH on in summer- do they)
Thick floor length curtains do a great job reducing condensation at night, or even old fashioned wooden shutters- but can't have them closed through the day.

Problem is I've never been to NZ in winter/ haven't experienced a UK winter for 6 years. BUT am certainly experiencing it this year(-4 last night rarely above freezing all day) . Even with all mod cons and extra layers of clothing- I'm suffering. Hence my pathetic quest for advice and knowledge from you folk who are in the know.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:08 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

One thing you must get most of the year ona house is the SUN, apart from free heat, it keeps the hosue dry,most new builds here are built ona concrete slab, timber frames and iron roof well long run colour steel, people neglect the importants of good quality insulation in walls, i have been inside new builds in winter and because of where they were built they were bloody cold, even with double glazing.

There is an English guy here who is trying to bring uPVC to Dunedin and NZ it comes from OZ and has to be treated with lots of UV protection or the sun here will distroy it in a short space of time, they still use aluminium here, its not bad and does not get eaten by pollution like it used to in UK, mind you i have felt draughts coming through a new builds windows because the windows were so big and the catches/handles were so long the window bowed and let draught in !!.

There are a few houses that have radiators and Diesel fired central heating, but not many, coal hopper fed and other systems, if you have around $26k you could get one fitted, most people now have heat pumps and still alot of of wood burning fires, at leats with a free standing fire you can do 3 things with it, cook on it, heat your water and heat your home.

Out side cladding of houses is usually weather board or new age materials, made from cement mixtures/fibre there are brick skinned houses, but you wont see foundations going down and double brick going up ha ha, probably because of earth quakes, long run colour stell with building paper is very good and keeps heat in and less maintenance than tiles.

Even some houses after 03 are still crap built, they have only just said that all new builds must be fitted with double glazing.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

One thing you must get most of the year ona house is the SUN, apart from free heat, it keeps the hosue dry,most new builds here are built ona concrete slab, timber frames and iron roof well long run colour steel, people neglect the importants of good quality insulation in walls, i have been inside new builds in winter and because of where they were built they were bloody cold, even with double glazing.

There is an English guy here who is trying to bring uPVC to Dunedin and NZ it comes from OZ and has to be treated with lots of UV protection or the sun here will distroy it in a short space of time, they still use aluminium here, its not bad and does not get eaten by pollution like it used to in UK, mind you i have felt draughts coming through a new builds windows because the windows were so big and the catches/handles were so long the window bowed and let draught in !!.

There are a few houses that have radiators and Diesel fired central heating, but not many, coal hopper fed and other systems, if you have around $26k you could get one fitted, most people now have heat pumps and still alot of of wood burning fires, at leats with a free standing fire you can do 3 things with it, cook on it, heat your water and heat your home.

Out side cladding of houses is usually weather board or new age materials, made from cement mixtures/fibre there are brick skinned houses, but you wont see foundations going down and double brick going up ha ha, probably because of earth quakes, long run colour stell with building paper is very good and keeps heat in and less maintenance than tiles.

Even some houses after 03 are still crap built, they have only just said that all new builds must be fitted with double glazing.
A million thanks, Fooferfish,

I now feel we would much prefer the help and advice of someone like you, who speaks from experience and knowledge, when looking for a house, rather than an estate agent acting in the vendors interest.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:13 am
Dorset to Dunedin

At least you will be able to arm yourself with information about house builds, old villas look awesome and beautiful but can be very cold, high ceilings, so where does the heat go ? bricks are not like UK exterior ones, they are a lot thinner, ask about insulation in walls underfloor, and ceiling, try and get into the loft, look for samll wood worm holes called Borer, i dont think i have been in a house here which does not have some, or has been attacked by Borer.
North facing is best, Kiwis done build their houses to face the road like UK, there are lots of pitfalls to fall into, but if you are aware of a few then thats better than nothing ? if you are that serious about your next house, get a building report done.

Good luck
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
A million thanks, Fooferfish,

I now feel we would much prefer the help and advice of someone like you, who speaks from experience and knowledge, when looking for a house, rather than an estate agent acting in the vendors interest.
Thanks again.
Jennifer it really depends where you plan to live in NZ as the climate varies quite a lot.

I would keep away from an old house (unless you have the $'s to insulate and heat it).

I have never been a house owner outside of NZ so can't comment on estate agents elsewhere but believe me the the only interest they act on here is their own.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Jennifer it really depends where you plan to live in NZ as the climate varies quite a lot.

I would keep away from an old house (unless you have the $'s to insulate and heat it).

I have never been a house owner outside of NZ so can't comment on estate agents elsewhere but believe me the the only interest they act on here is their own.
We hope to settle somewhere around Richmond area. We've sussed the area a few times in the last two years -actually watched a new build going up- FAST.
Re- estate agents- guess that's the same the whole world over, it's just that we've been watching a NZ real estate programme here and some of the tricks they pull to get the last dollar out of the buyer are quite awe inspiring
What amazes me is that even when the buyer suspects a dodgy deal, they go ahead!

MOH definitely wants ,low maintainance, sound build, good insulation, good heating/airconditioning (ventilation), good sized section, private easy maintainance garden (he doesn't want me straining myself)
He says his days of DIY are long gone. I say I can't remember when they were here The shower valve I mended with a bicycle tyre valve is still functioning beautifully 30 years later. I was happy to do all the DIY in the house alongside the making clothes for me and the kids, curtains and bedding, the odd bit of joinery and plumbing, but even he realises that it has become more difficult in recent years to balance the tool box on my zimmer-frame and making two journeys, as he suggests, just takes so long
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

We hope to settle somewhere around Richmond area. We've sussed the area a few times in the last two years -actually watched a new build going up- FAST.
Re- estate agents- guess that's the same the whole world over, it's just that we've been watching a NZ real estate programme here and some of the tricks they pull to get the last dollar out of the buyer are quite awe inspiring
What amazes me is that even when the buyer suspects a dodgy deal, they go ahead!

MOH definitely wants ,low maintainance, sound build, good insulation, good heating/airconditioning (ventilation), good sized section, private easy maintainance garden (he doesn't want me straining myself)
He says his days of DIY are long gone. I say I can't remember when they were here The shower valve I mended with a bicycle tyre valve is still functioning beautifully 30 years later. I was happy to do all the DIY in the house alongside the making clothes for me and the kids, curtains and bedding, the odd bit of joinery and plumbing, but even he realises that it has become more difficult in recent years to balance the tool box on my zimmer-frame and making two journeys, as he suggests, just takes so long
love your sense of humour.

We decided to build in brick and tile when OH said that's the last ferking time I am painting a house. That was 15 years ago and he still doesn't need a zimmer frame.

If you fancy a gardening job when you get here I know where you can get one
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
love your sense of humour.

We decided to build in brick and tile when OH said that's the last ferking time I am painting a house. That was 15 years ago and he still doesn't need a zimmer frame.

If you fancy a gardening job when you get here I know where you can get one

Would that be on the skills shortage list?
Or just the list of jobs OH's try so hard to avoid?
If there's points in it- I'll do it!!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would that be on the skills shortage list?
Or just the list of jobs OH's try so hard to avoid?
If there's points in it- I'll do it!!

It's on my "time"shortage list and you would get plenty of points from me but I can't guarantee they would help your entry chances.

Best of luck. We need more folk like you to balance the nay sayers around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.