Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunno if I dare ask!

Dunno if I dare ask!

Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dunno if I dare ask!

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Have been here 2yrs and prior to this only time I've experienced it was in Cambridge in a veggie store when a kid of about 5 was playing witha truck on the floor and he said to my OH 'Pakeha (whitey)' and carried on playing.
I'd like to stress this was not an everyday feeling here. I've heard it's that feeing in parts of Gisborne and up north.
Why on earth did you get offended by a 5 year old kid who was just stating the obvious? Pakeha is a generic term for everyone who is non-maori, and certainly not something to get offended by!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:26 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
Why on earth did you get offended by a 5 year old kid who was just stating the obvious? Pakeha is a generic term for everyone who is non-maori, and certainly not something to get offended by!
I wasn't offended. I was just saying what I'd experienced. It wasn't a threatening feeling.
In the UK, would you go into a corner shop run by Indians and see a child playing on the floor saying 'whitey'? No! Well there you are then. I grew up in a very rough area of London so am used to racial tension.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Perhaps the answers you are looking for, can be found in everybodies lack of response to your question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is maybe not a subject beople feel comfortable discussing in a public forum :scared:
I agree here - NZ is also very PC, and you will find it hard to drag coment out of folks openly around this discussion. I work with and am friends with many people from many different ethnic backgrounds. You must be aware that there are some feelings between kiwi pakeha and Maori, its is there, it does exist and when you live here you will notice it. Its like verything - good and bad in all, all races, all colours, all countries.

Last edited by sunshine_and_rain; Sep 18th 2006 at 2:42 am.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
I agree here - NZ is also very PC, and you will find it hard to drag coment out of folks openly around this discussion. I work with and am friends with many people from many different ethnic backgrounds. You must be aware that there are some feelings between kiwi pakeha and Maori, its is there, it does exist and when you live here you will notice it. Its like verything - good and bad in all, all races, all colours, all countries.
Very well wrote
Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catzohm
...centered around the lifestyle, attitudes and behaviour of said ethnic minorities, he also said that in his experience this seemed to be confined to areas of the north island and he hadn't come across it in the south. Can anyone confirm or deny (hopefully) this.
Yep - down south we hate the Jafas too.

But now being serious, there are prejudices in New Zealand, like anywhere that is multi-cultural and where people naturally tend to mix with their own. Occasionally there is outright racism, but fortunately not on the scale of UK, Oz or US.

In NZ I've always lived in the south, where Poneke Boy's Ngai Tahu cousins have always seemed comparatively integrated into the pakeha way of life, and where its been fairly harmonious on the whole. When I hear stories about certain pubs best avoided in the North Island (usually Lion Red), it seems like a different world really.