In Dunners

Old Jan 21st 2017, 1:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default In Dunners

first thing to do is the Brewery tour, tea sorted, then in the morning Cadbury World so breakfast sorted - living the dream
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: In Dunners

Enjoy yourselves. It's a lovely area.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

A quick jog up Baldwin Street will get rid of those Cadbury goodies then a nice drive round the Otago Peninsula. How long are you in Dunners for?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:03 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

only here for 2 days, done Baldwin Street and Brewery tour, $60.00 family of 4, this afternoon, got Cadbury World, Railway Station, Butterfly house and Otago musuem on the list for tomorrow.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 22nd 2017 at 5:58 am.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:24 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

We loved tunnel beach, although I would be equally as happy to sit on my arse at Cadbury world
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:57 am

Well Cadbury World - $55 for a family of 4 was a bit of a disappointment, unless you really like marshmallow covered chocolate, as that was the main theme of the freebies being handed out. The shop had some items cheaper but majority you could get cheaper in supermarkets and it was heaving. Kids said they enjoyed the brewery tour more.

Larnach Castle was a wash out, $72.00 for a family of 4 with kids that really aren't into that sort of thing is a bit steep. We didn't go in as was pouring with rain today and we could hardly see 10 foot in front of us driving over. Thought we would just stop in and have a cuppa and snack to get told we would have to pay the garden tour fee of $38.00 just to drive to the cafe.

Otago Museum - free apart from special exhibits which include the butterfly part -$25.00 for a family of four , was good and the butterfly bit was kinda cool. Was not that impressed with the rather large dead Koi at the bottom of the pond bit but hey things die, which brings me to the pile of dead butterflies by the door as you left just to echo that. But as an interactive museum it is a good one to take the kids to.

Dunedin train station - beautiful building inside and out.

I can imagine how beautiful Dunedin is on a normal and warm day but with the weather the way it is we have been unable to just wander around and being a Sunday after doing all the above most of the shops are shut.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 11:31 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I've honestly never been that enthralled by Dunners myself. People rave about it but I just think it's a bit meh. OK to explore for maybe a day, but that's about it. Moeraki Boulders were cool though and the Otago Railtrail
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I can imagine how beautiful Dunedin is on a normal and warm day but with the weather the way it is we have been unable to just wander around and being a Sunday........ most of the shops are shut.
We visited Dunedin November 2015. I remember it as 27 on the 27th. It was 27 degrees centigrade on 27th November at 7pm - because Dan Corbett on the t.v. weather said so.

We ate lovely steak and chips at one of the pavement tables of a pub overlooking the Octagon in central Dunedin. Afterwards we just sat on a public bench enjoying the street scene at 11pm as the weather was as warm as an evening in Greece in the early Summer.

(As for the sea temperature - we're not that brave !)

We had a couple of lovely days but bad weather had been forecast for our last day there. That's when we planned to do the Cadbury World tour and the Speights Brewery Tour. I agree, the brewery tour was more interesting.

At Cadbury World they really do drop a ton of chocolate down a chute as people stand inside the tower and watch it fall. However the rest of the tour was ok, just not as interesting as I had hoped. I agree regarding the free chocolate they hand out too.

I remember the first evening we were there in Dunedin. We drove and drove and came to a high viewpoint overlooking the bay. Lovely clear view of the sea and the stars were out in a perfectly clear sky. Marvellous.

St Clair beach has lovely golden sand. Nice change to the black sand beaches on the coast of the Manawatu.

We had gone to the Dunedin peninsular in a previous holiday some years ago. The castle as they call it looks like a stately home.

The Dunedin Early Settlers Museum is good. We missed the old jail museum as we weren't there on one of the days it opens. Dunedin train station is prominent to say the least. Trains haven't stopped there in years, apparently.

We drove to Bluff on one day. Stopping off for snacks on the way.

Good view from Bluff to Stewart Island. The old fashioned bakery did good ole kiwi pie and chips. Lovely crisp chips IIRC.

A look round the seafaring museum then back in the car for the return trip to Dunedin.

Dunedin, as a town, looked nice. It seemed bigger, certainly busier than Whanganui. Which surprised me.

However, as BarnsleyMatt remarked when he lived in Dunedin, 'the scenery repeats every few seconds, like a Scooby Doo chase scene.' I agree. I'd say similar for the rolling pastures of the Manawatu as well.

Glad you had such a good time.