Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:55 am
loui5a

loui5a will become famous soon enough
Default Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Hi all,

Hoping for some information........ here is some back ground.

My husband, daughter (11 next month) and I have permanent residency visas without jobs due to our education / employment history. Visas valid til mid July so OH booked one way ticket to Christchurch arriving on the 25th March with a view of job hunting prior and on arrival.

He has been in touch with various companies and yesterday had a very positive telephone interview with a very good company for a job based in Dunedin.

We want to be in the south island but had focused on Christchurch and possibly Nelson (saw jobs here too).

So the question is please can people provide us with some info on Dunedin and their experience. OH might get a job offer for this position this week so time is not on our side - having spent all of last year researching Christchurch.

Specific information needs:
Schools - our daughter will be going to secondary school this September in UK terms

Activities
Our daughter is keen to join guides and anything else going.
I would love to join a patchwork group / course. I have done to evening tec courses here so would like to do something along those lines.
OH loving fishing so keen to get fishing + anything else out doors.

Places to live.
Job is very near The Octagon, we plan to buy one car so one of us will need to use public transport. Going to rent for first while as our house here will also be rented out.

Any information would be most helpful.

So excited that it might all be falling into place but trying not to get too excited so if it does not work out it not a huge blow.

We hardly slept last night as our heads where buzzing.

Thanks in advance
Louisa
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:13 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Hi and hopefully welcome to Dunedin. We have been here 6 years and live in Vauxhall/Waverley just at the beginning of the peninsula. It is a great place to live and has great views. School wise there are a few around, we have intermediate here which your daughter will go to first unless she goes to one of the private girls schools like Columba College or St Hilda's in which case as long as there is a vacancy she would start and go through to aged 18. If however you chose an intermediate school she would go there for 2 years then go to high school. If you chose to live in Vauxhall/Waverley area then Tahuna Intermediate is the nearest and Bayfield High School is close too. There is a bus service from our area and to be honest the Octagon isnt that far to walk. If you PM me I will let you know more info. Louise
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Loui5a.

I am sure Weejie, Southerner and George will be along to supplement info already given by SLH and myself.

Don't panic though, Dunedin is tiny in terms of population and the city is easy to get around. The main centre is pretty compact. The suburbs are far reaching but due to lack of traffic all very commutable.

It sounds like your daughter will go to an intermediate school. Much easier transition IMHO rather than starting Secondary School at 11. I would advise you to organise somewhere to stay first and then spend a few days having a good look around. It really won't take you long to get a feel for the different areas. There are lots of different suburbs depending on what you want. St Clair is by the beach and quite expensive but worth it I think if you get a nice house, St Kilda and Musselburgh for cheaper options by the beach (obv not as close but easy reach). Waverley for fab views over the harbour but can get windy and is pretty hilly.
North East Valley, Opoho, Pine Hill can be flat or you can be up on a hill - here you have to be careful of sun or lack thereof! North East Valley is also full of students so keep that in mind.
On top of the city you have Roslyn, Belleknowes, Kenmure, Maori Hill, Helensburgh, Kaikorai. Depends on what type of house, lifestyle you want, what schools etc. You could look further out to Port Chalmers, Sawyers Bay etc where you can get beautiful views, but in Dunedin terms they are quite far out and bus services are limited. Other side of the harbour same problems.
If you only have one car you will want to be on a good bus route or nearby to one. There are regular buses but some more regular iyswim (although I haven't lived there for ages I don't imagine it has changed that much). Out South i.e St Clair has a very regular bus right into town every 15 mins I think.

I guess local groups will depend on where you live, but I am sure your daughter will have no problems finding a guides group to join. Not sure about patchwork groups but Dunedin is quite a crafty/arty city so there should be something for you. Fishing, well your husband will be in heaven. My brother is mad about fishing and he frequently goes fishing close to Dunedin and also heading towards Southland - lots of rivers to get to easily...I wish I could tell you where but I have to admit when he starts going on about fishing I tend to switch off

I really hope you like Dunedin, it's not everyone's cup of tea but it is a great little city with loads for kids to do whatever their interests are. It is also a really safe city, easy to get around and I think people are pretty friendly!

Wishing you luck that the job comes up trumps for you.

Have put a couple of links in to help you on your way.
http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Dunedin

Dannigirl
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ta da....think this is a sign that Dunedin is for you

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/events/ex...ago-exhibition

http://www.otagoquilters.org.nz/
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:28 pm
loui5a

Thanks so much for all the info and links

Going to look through them all now - feeling very positive. OH doing a second interview using Skype so want to read up on things and be in a position to say yes if we get an offer and feel it is right

Off to the links now - already impressed with the patchwork one!
Louisa
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Most Brits, ourselves included, fall in love with the Otago peninsula. You would of course have to travel to town either by car or by bus, or even lift share
You should have a look at Macandrew bay, although the school doesn't do intermediate.
Portobello school however does have the extra 2 intermediate years, and is a great place.
Message me if you need any more info

Last edited by kenpom; Jan 18th 2010 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 5:34 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

we to moved here six years ago and really LOVE Dunedin!

We have four daughters aged 20,17,11 and 10.

I run my own company (see link) and Toni Is a midwife who runs her own practice.

Firstly I know my 10 and 11 year old daughters would be more than happy to talk to your daughter and as it happens your daughter could spend a year with one then a year with the other at Balmacewan Intermidiate (should she go there!)

Do you have a skype account as we would be more than happy to link up for a chat on that at the weekend ,face to names and all that.

We live in Wakari which is close enough to town 5 mins by car and near to many schools, do a google map street view search on 43 craighall crescent for a look at our street which is typical on many in Dunedin (we the one with the big blue delica and a trailer both sold now!)

I would say one car would be fine but would add that you would really need two should the one be taken to work and parked up all day.sure you could use buses but for getting around a car is really important with all the hills we have here.

My wife has just finished going to a stichery club and has made all sorts,its very relaxed and caters for all levels.

Fishing! well where to start my good mate here Nigel (fooferfish) is a converted fly fisherman doing his best to get me to take it up (he has won and I will be going asap!) so he for sure can show your husband a few good spots and believe me there are LOADS of them!

PM us should you fancy a skype chat and we will give you our details ,phone numbers are on website.

All the best

George 43,Toni 40, Emma 20, Katie 17, Becky 11 and Lucy 10

Not forgetting Bosco the boxer dog, Chip the Kelpie dog, Cookie the three legged west highland terrier and the four guinnea pigs!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,we have been here for 6 months now and love it. We live in Andersons Bay( Heath St) and it takes 5 mins to get in to town. As SLH said the intermediate for here is Tahuna and Bayfield is the high school. Have a friend whose kids have been to both and had no complaints. My 2 boys (9 and 7) go to Grants Braes at present.

Two cars I think would be useful. As George says it is a bit hilly! They price of cars is really reasonable here,however I believe the bus system is ok too. Now the nosey bit!! What job does your husband do? Who is the interview with?

I believe there are girl guides here.My boys got to sea scouts and there are girls there too so could be an option. My husband is an avid angler and loves to go fishing. We recently got the boys rods and they go to the harbour for a few hours after dinner some nights. He also goes on his own to a place called Sullivans dam also southern reservoir and the Taieri river system.

I am a nurse at DPH,my husband is still looking for work. He is a H & S manager but has set up his own photography business here while looking for work. He has applied for well over a hundred jobs ,all different and not what he is trained for, but still has nothing. He is waiting to hear this week hopefully about a job he had an interview for mid December so

If you need any more info just PM me.

All the best

Phyl x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi there,we have been here for 6 months now and love it. We live in Andersons Bay( Heath St) and it takes 5 mins to get in to town. As SLH said the intermediate for here is Tahuna and Bayfield is the high school. Have a friend whose kids have been to both and had no complaints. My 2 boys (9 and 7) go to Grants Braes at present.

Two cars I think would be useful. As George says it is a bit hilly! They price of cars is really reasonable here,however I believe the bus system is ok too. Now the nosey bit!! What job does your husband do? Who is the interview with?

I believe there are girl guides here.My boys got to sea scouts and there are girls there too so could be an option. My husband is an avid angler and loves to go fishing. We recently got the boys rods and they go to the harbour for a few hours after dinner some nights. He also goes on his own to a place called Sullivans dam also southern reservoir and the Taieri river system.

I am a nurse at DPH,my husband is still looking for work. He is a H & S manager but has set up his own photography business here while looking for work. He has applied for well over a hundred jobs ,all different and not what he is trained for, but still has nothing. He is waiting to hear this week hopefully about a job he had an interview for mid December so

If you need any more info just PM me.

All the best

Phyl x
100 jobs god I better not tell my DH that. Hope the job comes through for your DH
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:12 pm
loui5a

Originally Posted by george toni
Hi

we to moved here six years ago and really LOVE Dunedin!

We have four daughters aged 20,17,11 and 10.

I run my own company (see link) and Toni Is a midwife who runs her own practice.

Firstly I know my 10 and 11 year old daughters would be more than happy to talk to your daughter and as it happens your daughter could spend a year with one then a year with the other at Balmacewan Intermidiate (should she go there!)

Do you have a skype account as we would be more than happy to link up for a chat on that at the weekend ,face to names and all that.

We live in Wakari which is close enough to town 5 mins by car and near to many schools, do a google map street view search on 43 craighall crescent for a look at our street which is typical on many in Dunedin (we the one with the big blue delica and a trailer both sold now!)

I would say one car would be fine but would add that you would really need two should the one be taken to work and parked up all day.sure you could use buses but for getting around a car is really important with all the hills we have here.

My wife has just finished going to a stichery club and has made all sorts,its very relaxed and caters for all levels.

Fishing! well where to start my good mate here Nigel (fooferfish) is a converted fly fisherman doing his best to get me to take it up (he has won and I will be going asap!) so he for sure can show your husband a few good spots and believe me there are LOADS of them!

PM us should you fancy a skype chat and we will give you our details ,phone numbers are on website.

All the best

George 43,Toni 40, Emma 20, Katie 17, Becky 11 and Lucy 10

Not forgetting Bosco the boxer dog, Chip the Kelpie dog, Cookie the three legged west highland terrier and the four guinnea pigs!
George - thanks so much for the info and kind offer of skype chat - we have just got this set up (previously using windows messenger).
Love the sound of the stitch club!
Louisa
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:26 pm
loui5a

Thank you all for your help - I would be lost without this forum and I think I will be using it even more once in NZ.

Good news - another interview for a different post in Nelson, another company rang and is going to send us some job details. Nothing and then lots together! Just hope something comes through.

Got my car sold today - train here we come for nine weeks (then get sole use of the car when OH goes!)

Bad news - flippen phone and internet are playing up - worst timing ever! Been in this house 7 years with same provider and then tonight when we are trying to set up skype, reply to people and receive calls from potential employers the stupid thing breaks. Log call - on their list - 3 days!

Work could not be more busy - major report to hand over on Monday and my head is going to explode with lists of things to do!

I now have a dedicated book (that does not leave the house) with all my lists in of everything - hoping to make some sense of it all.
Louisa
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:10 pm
loui5a

Just to update you.

Got the phone and internet working yesterday, then there was a problem with Skype - must have been global as the company phone and said their end was not working. Any then it did work!

OH thinks he could have done better, but you always think that.

Next phone call due Sunday night.

Will keep you post
Louisa
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loui5a
Just to update you.

Got the phone and internet working yesterday, then there was a problem with Skype - must have been global as the company phone and said their end was not working. Any then it did work!

OH thinks he could have done better, but you always think that.

Next phone call due Sunday night.

Will keep you post
Louisa
Hi Louisa,

We've just moved to Auckland but wanted to wish your OH good luck with that interview!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:32 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louisa,

Like my good mate George and family we have been in Dunners for nearly 5 years, although our main aim was to move out of town to the countrside and have achieved it now, if you are looking for a a place to stay for a few days, then we can put you up , we are also close to the airport, so if im not on shift could give you a lift to town, be careful where you rent in Dunners as there are some places that dont get sun for 3 months of the winter, and without double glazing and central heating, some places can be cold, avoid Ravensbourne area and Leigh valley, left hand side of harbour, and lower areas of Mornington, Moari hill is the bling zone of town and St Clair, well they think it is !! schools in Moari hill are well sort of,also Waverly Andy Bay school is rated well.

If your other half doesnt get that work and he fancies a change, the Prison Service where i work are still looking and expanding into all areas of teaching as well, i work there as a Prison Officer.

Dunedin is a great place to live and if you want warm weather then go to OZ lol the weather can change from 34 deg like last week and then down to 14 the next day lol we like the season changes, be prepared for using a wood fire and believe that is the best form of heat, although my mate George who is the best Heat pump installer in Dunners might have a different word on it lol
Keep some $$$ aside for heating, as although the sun shines in winter with clear blue skies, once it has gone behind the hill that the temp changes dramatically Dunners gets one or 2 days of snow a year and maybe we will get more now we live in the sticks, but we love the seasons, Dunedin has just about every thing you need, no traffic jams, less crime, no Aucklanders lol you can get across the city in a few mins without to much hassle, wildlife on your doorstep, deserted beaches, the mountains and lakes and skiing 3 hrs away, Central Otago where we head on cooler coastal days where temps can reach 40 deg, landcscapes to die for, native forests down the road, hunting , shooting and fishing on your doorstep, Otago rocks .

We now live about 20 mins from town near Mosgiel, a small township away from city ( village ) life lol we have one daughter age 12 and she will be going to another new school as we live away from where she wanted to go, the school bus stops outside the gate and brings them home, Kiwis dont commute and if anything is more than 10 mins away they dont like that lol, be prepared to drive to get any where, but once there , most things to do are free here, we have no theme parks or holiday parks, Kiwis just get up and go and have free fun.

Seriously though if you need a few days some where before you get dropped into a dodgy rental, then come and stay with us we have 4 huge bedrooms and plenty of space, if you need rental firms numbers please let me know as i used to work for all the rental companies in town and know all the managers and agents, also know a few car dealers and can help you look for one, anything over $5k will get you an awesome motor, lots of Japanese models and all good to drive, but if you have a place lined up, thats all good, there are many people on here and in Dunners who can help you out and thats what we are here for, we have all done the hard yards and have fallen in a few pits so can point you in the right directions, most places you go to buy stuff will do deals for cash, never take the first price on anything !!

Well hope i have not rattled on to much, but feel free to contact us will pm you our number

Nige, Karla and Martha
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

summerscotland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am new to this forum and I am kinda freaking out to be honest so ANY help would be sooo appreciated.
My Husband has been offered a job in Dunedin, we always wanted to move abroad, but I am not sure if Dunedin is right for us, we live just outside Glasgow and are used to city life, great restaurants, movies, bowling good social life do you think Dunedin would be too rural for us? We have 2 boys aged 12 and 7 I am a stay at home mum...I read on an imigration website for NZ that it was about 20yrs behind the UK that the shops were terrible and everyone makes their own clothes...we have to make a decision by Monday and they want us to move in 8 weeks, we have been chopping and changing our minds all the time and I guess I would just like some feedback from people who have gone through all this and know what its like to live there first hand.
Sorry for babbling, havent slept in a couple of days from the worry...thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.