Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dunedin - schools, where to live - urgent help please!

Originally Posted by summerscotland
Hi I am new to this forum and I am kinda freaking out to be honest so ANY help would be sooo appreciated.
My Husband has been offered a job in Dunedin, we always wanted to move abroad, but I am not sure if Dunedin is right for us, we live just outside Glasgow and are used to city life, great restaurants, movies, bowling good social life do you think Dunedin would be too rural for us? We have 2 boys aged 12 and 7 I am a stay at home mum...I read on an imigration website for NZ that it was about 20yrs behind the UK that the shops were terrible and everyone makes their own clothes...we have to make a decision by Monday and they want us to move in 8 weeks, we have been chopping and changing our minds all the time and I guess I would just like some feedback from people who have gone through all this and know what its like to live there first hand.
Sorry for babbling, havent slept in a couple of days from the worry...thanks!
Dunedin is not "rural". Granted it is small but technically it is a city (120,000 people) but you can be in the countryside in about 10 minutes.
Dunedin is a University city - therefore there are lots of different influences within it. There are great restaurants, great food, shops, pubs/bars, museums, there is a bowling alley, art galleries, plenty of public amenities, even a cinema!!!! In some ways NZ is behind the UK, both in good and bad ways.

Not everyone has to make their own clothes - some people enjoy doing it though! Kiwi fashion is quite quirky, it's totally okay to be really into fashion or on the other hand people are really not bothered if you aren't. Just make sure you take a different coloured polar fleece for each day!

Seriously, if you have doubts don't do it. It sounds like you need time to do a bit more research, if your initial thoughts are that Dunedin is not for you then maybe you need to look at it a bit closer. Dunedin will probably feel very small to you after Glasgow. It is a great city (I grew up there and hope to return eventually) but it's definitely not for everyone.

Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:54 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Dunedin is far from being a small place. We have been here 7 years now in the same house, same jobs. We love it here it has all we need. The beauty of Dunedin is that its not that far from Central Otago, Queenstown etc. Weejie is from Glasgow and I'm sure will be along to add her bit. Schooling here is good. There are suburbs that you wouldn't live but you could easily find somewhere you'd like. Transport around the city is easy there are plenty of buses. Dunedin is hilly so be prepared. Have a look on these websites

http://www.dunedinnz.com/ http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/

With regards to being 20 years behind its not really that bad. Yes we are behind in that houses aren't double glazed and centrally heated but you can get these done like we have. Yes it costs but to me you can't put a price on being comfortable. Fashion is getting better, we have a fairly good shopping centre in Dunedin with some very new shops.

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/facilitie...hops-directory

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I meant small in comparison to Glasgow
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

summerscotland is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your promt replies, slept last night so less off the wall today, well thats refreshing to know that there is plenty to do there, I think that was really my main concern, my Husbands company emailed back today to say they could give him till December to move, so thats more positive. We are looking for rental properties first of all as we will be renting our properties out here initially, I have found a lovely family home in St Clair, which I read from previous posts is a nice area to live in and close to the beach, which my kids would love, but you said there are areas that arent so nice, could you tell me what areas to avoid? Also is there a main car dealership site for South Island, I know probably not an autotrader, but I went on a site and it gave me a choice of 3 cars.
Thanks again all!
Rhian
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure if your post was to me or not, am sure some expat Dunedinites will come and help you out too.

Just be aware I am born and bred in NZ so used to the "awful" living conditions. I grew up in Ravensbourne, but have lived all over the place.

St Clair is very nice, the top part (up by the golf course I think) does run into Corstorphine which I would avoid at all costs.

Parts of St Kilda are nice also, Musselburgh, Macandrew Bay, Andersons Bay, Waverley are all okay.

Mornington is close to the city, quite cheap. Roslyn, Highgate fine.

Maori Hill, Belleknowes - probably where the majority of rich/exclusive houses are.

Kaikorai, Helensburgh, Wakari - just normal/average suburbs, but there are some nice areas to live in.

North East Valley - dominated by students around the Botanical gardens, further up the valley and Opoho, Pine Hill are fine but houses can be very cold if they are not in a sunny position!

Dunedin is a very hilly city, therefore as tempting as it is to check out property on the internet I really would advise you to wait to rent until you get there. Get some short term accommodation and then go and look at rental properties. If you get a house in the wrong position in winter it would not be a pleasant experience.

These are just my opinions but I would steer clear of these places -
Caversham - most parts pretty scummy.
Calton Hill - same
Corstorphine - same, lots of state housing. Corstorphine is literally on top of St Clair, Corstophine up a big hill. St Clair on the flat close to the beach.
Ravensbourne right down to Port Chalmers - quite a drive for locals, nothing to expats. 15 min drive max to Port Chalmers but there can be local yocals iykwim.
Green Island - not somewhere I would live but it might suit some people.
Abbotsford and Fairfield always had bad reps, full of bogans (chavs)

Dunedin really is a small city, even though it feels quite spread out - the beauty (or not) is that even more "exclusive" suburbs are not totally separate from the other suburbs. It is so easy to get around, although public transport is not on the UK level bus services from what I remember are okay, not great but okay. One main bus goes from South Dunedin, right through town to North Dunedin.

No idea about car dealers but have a look at Turners and Trade Me. There are plenty of second hand car lots in Dunedin and you can usually pick up a good bargain at an auction.

Dannigirl
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,moved here to Dunners from Old Kilpatrick,between Clydebank and Dumbarton July 09 and haven't looked back.

We live in Andersons Bay in a rental since we arrived and love it. My kids now 10 and 7 have blossomed and have much more freedom than they ever had back in Scotland. Dunedin is smaller than Glasgow but then we wanted that. Never was keen on going in to Glasgow shopping and nights out were rare in town too. Here have been out a few times and feel so safe at night. I work at the hospital and think nothing of walking to my car at 2300 hrs after a shift.

The kids love the beach and there are loads within a 30 min drive of Dunedin. Not really missing any material things or foods from Scotland. Miss family and friends lots but using skype helps.

PM me if you want to know any more specifics or ask away on here. Not in as often now but will keep my eye open for anything on this thread.

Phyl X