Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunedin here we come!

Dunedin here we come!

Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

VictoryV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dunedin here we come!

Hi - I am new to this forum and have never posted on one of these sites before so after a little help if poss! My husband has accepted a job in Dunedin and we are due to go out there as soon as we are able. We need to sell our house in order to do this so do not have a fixed date as yet. Im after some more info on places to live and schools etc. as dont have much idea. His job is based in Wakari and it looks as though there are some schools there which seem ok. I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old so will need info on primaries as well as intermediate schools. Also is Wakari a good place to live? We would like to live somewhere nice but it doesnt need to be in the most expensive part of town! Any information at all to help us decide would be most welcome

Thankyou so much

V
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:49 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dunedin here we come!

Hi & welcome to the site

Plenty from Dunedin on here so they will be able to give you a few good pointers.

Cant believe its almost a year ago that I first joined this site (never joined any forum before). Like you had a house to sell. Its quite a rollercoaster of emotions and you feel like you are in limbo permanently.

Good luck with all your plans and have loads of fun researching the property

www.trademe.co.nz

www.realestate.co.nz

Two of my favorite sites

Dewb
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:48 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

hi

sent you a pm

george and toni
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

dont think they can get them with less than 3 posts ???

Welcome
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & Welcome. Happy Posting.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pestman
hi

sent you a pm

george and toni
Send them an email via the Be email system George. They are sure to get that.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,been in Dunedin since 4th July 09 and love it. Being nosey but if job is in Wakari is OH a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse by any chance? I am a psych nurse but work at DPH. Our boys are 10 and 7 and have settled in really well. To be honest you can live the other side of Dunedin from Wakari and still be there in 10-15 minutes! If you want any more info then just PM or email me. I see George has already introduced himself,and he lives Wakari way so can tell you all about that area.

Phyl x
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:02 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

thanks for that have sent email now

george
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi all and thankyou so much for the fast responses! My OH is a speech and language therapist so will indeed be working at the hosp in Wakari. Supposed to be there late August so bit of a rush to be honest and dont think we'll have sold our house by then. Thanks for the info on schools etc. Its good to know we're not the only ones to have been through it!

V
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Hi - does anyone know which High School is served by the Wakari area? Trying to check out schools online but there are quite a few and I know Dunedin isnt huge but not sure if you still need to be in a certain catchment area to go to a particular school? My daughter will only have one year at intermediate before going onto high school so any advice please?

Thanks

V
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:29 pm

from Blamacewan intermediate most will go to either K.V.C. (Kaikouri Valley College, excuse spelling!) or Otago Girls.

My eldest started at Otago Girls (O.G.'s) but hated it as it was all girls and she found that it was a bit too 'girly' for her.Having said that dont rule it out as it does have a good reputation and is linked with Otago Boys (totaly different school up the road from it and again a popular school.

Its just that she was used to co ed.So she transfered to K.V.C. to join my other daughter there.

They both loved it. Whatever anyone says on here the school system is ok.The options are there to learn and just like the UK if the effort goes in the reward comes out.

Emma (now nearly 21) is in her final year at Uni so they must have done something right and Katie (nearly 18) is less academic but left with a good all round skill set.

Zones for schools are JUST starting to come in here but to be honest most you could get into from the UK as you are 'out of zone' a bit there but would be welcom as a new 'international' family so I would say on landing take a look all around and pick the one you like then go in and tell em you are moving to the area from UK and I would say they will let you in wherever you decide to live?

all the best

george