Reload this Page >

Dunedin - good, bad, ugly?

Dunedin - good, bad, ugly?

Old Jan 4th 2023, 9:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dunedin - good, bad, ugly?

Mate ! Give it a flippin' rest.

This is not what has been said. Further, you are not boots on ground either here in NZ nor SE/W UK.

Please stop.

*sigh*

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 4th 2023 at 9:23 am.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Mate ! Give it a flippin' rest.

This is not what has been said. Further, you are not boots on ground either here in NZ nor SE/W UK.

Please stop.

*sigh*
Wow, didn't expect you to be so miserable. Goodbye then. You are not even boots on ground in UK.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 4th 2023 at 10:39 am.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Was born in Dunedin, went to Otago University, left and can never go back. Too cold, most houses are old and poorly insulated - typical for NZ. Friday nights and weekends city centre full of drunk and rowdy students. I was once one of them. I have visited a few times over the years and always glad to see the back of it.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:22 pm
`

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You are not even boots on ground in UK.
50 years UK/SW coast + visits. I know my coast. It's in my soul and heart. Nearly 20 years NZ SI + travels. I know the climate.

Old Jan 4th 2023, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

50 years UK/SW coast + visits. I know my coast. It's in my soul and heart. Nearly 20 years NZ SI + travels. I know the climate.
No doubt, but no need to start getting personal and say that people can't contribute if they aren't on the ground right now. I know Dunedin well, spent enough time there and collect and share weather data with people globally. I only agreed with you and quoted what the OP said, but maybe you had a bad day. Hope the OP finds what they are looking for.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 10:10 pm
`

No doubt, but no need to start getting personal and say that people can't contribute if they aren't on the ground right now. I know Dunedin well, spent enough time there and collect and share weather data with people globally. I only agreed with you and quoted what the OP said, but maybe you had a bad day. Hope the OP finds what they are looking for.
Nope It was exasperation. No more and no less.

Q - Is Dunedin known for being as windy as Welly ?
A - No .

Q - Lowdown on assorted areas currently with a view to settling somewhere now not yester-year.
A - Per current local experience and knowledge.

As Justcol wrote - no need to jump down rabbit holes for the say so. Just lets stick to the here and now right here and now as the right here and now is very much relevant in this.

Old Jan 4th 2023, 10:17 pm
`

Originally Posted by LegalEagleTX
Was born in Dunedin, went to Otago University, left and can never go back. Too cold, most houses are old and poorly insulated - typical for NZ. Friday nights and weekends city centre full of drunk and rowdy students. I was once one of them. I have visited a few times over the years and always glad to see the back of it.
I asked Justcol about Dunners a while back . He wrote similar ref the city itself. Indeed it is known as a uni party town in a way that Welly and Auck escapes. Perhaps the settee burning thing or campus too close to the cbd.

We are possibly considering a move further south , hence the interest .

Old Jan 5th 2023, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I asked Justcol about Dunners a while back . He wrote similar ref the city itself. Indeed it is known as a uni party town in a way that Welly and Auck escapes. Perhaps the settee burning thing or campus too close to the cbd.

We are possibly considering a move further south , hence the interest .
Slightly off topic Bevs, but if you do eventually move south, I'll buy you a coffee (or tea) if you'll have me 😁
Old Jan 5th 2023, 3:32 am
`

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Slightly off topic Bevs, but if you do eventually move south, I'll buy you a coffee (or tea) if you'll have me 😁
Tea would be lovely. I would try not to dribble.

Yes. We have been considering this on and off for a fair old while now , since the pandemic and a few other probs kinda scuppered a UK return which was set for Sept 2020. ( Although I might yet find a way) .

This area is not the area we arrived to back in 2004. It is expanding and fast . It will be one huge conurbation soon filled with Auckland and Welly city people all wanting to bring that to what was a semi-rural district. We are horribly experiencing this first hand, right now , 2 metres from our boundary.

MrBEVS thinks a move south , rather than within this area, would work. He is not keen on a move to NI. Of course he is also considering my abiding interest in all things feathery , especially albatross , plus coastal shores with actually wildlife still there.

It wasn't so much Dunedin itself, it is the wider area. We don't use Nelson now. Not keen on Richmond. Do use Motueka. So , a bit like Mr LittleGreyCat, it is trying to find a balance . We've thought about Xch and surrounds but really don't know anything about places that way.

Old Jan 14th 2023, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

A while since I've visited the forum.
Dunedin is nice, but doesn't inspire us.
So not top of the list.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bermondsey George is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Dunedin (well Mosgiel actually) since January 2007 until 18 months ago when I moved to Christchurch.
Strange thing is that when I was there, most of the time I quite enjoyed it but I did not realise how bad it was until I left.
Dunedin tends to be the poor relations in NZ when it comes to Government investment. The hospital fiasco is testament to that. The stadium (which I did not want) I was forced to pay for through my rates.
When the sun is out Dunedin can be a good place. The Octagon is not a bad afternoon out when sunny but after 10pm don't even think about it. There are scarfies aplenty who arrive between 9 and 10pm completely bladdered having drunk cheap supermarket alcohol all day. Fights and assaults are a regular occurrence. There was even a murder in the old craft bar toilet a few years ago.
The scenery in and around Dunedin can be quite spectacular in the sunshine especially up near the castle (not really a castle but you try and tell a Dunner's resident that and they get very defensive).
The Duke of Wellington is the only thing I miss about Dunedin to be honest and I have not returned to Dunners (even for a visit) since moving to Christchurch.
On a positive note, at least Dunedin is far better than anything that is south of Mosgiel so to answer your question Dunedin can be all three - Good, bad and ugly.

Last edited by Bermondsey George; Jan 16th 2023 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

You are right BEVS and all in all it won't be much of a difference to Felixstowe in terms of weather (as LittleGreyCat mentioned, quite similar) and Suffolk is also too dry.
At the end of the day you just need to be realistic and the bigger problem seems to be this:
The climate would not be a major problem but the target is to move somewhere where most things are better than our home in Felixstowe, or at least provide the equivalent facilities.
If you don't really want to give up your home and are trying to find the exact same home on the same street with the same facilities/same people, it will never work.
Overall Dunedin probably has everything they have now, it's just different and further away from other major cities.
Well, that is a gross misrepresentation.

We live in a brick built 2 storey 1930s semi-detached.
Full central heating and very well insulated.
Not a lot of those around are there?

2 minutes from regular bus service.
3 minutes from regular (nationwide) train service.
4 minutes away from major dual carriageway road with dual carriageway/motorway.links nationwide.
We can drive to Scotland without leaving dual carriageway. Try that on SH1.

The list could be endless.
Why would we want to exactly duplicate what we have?
What would be the point of moving?

The aim is to have an equivalent level of attractiveness or more.
Plus benefits of living in NZ over living in the UK.
Again, why move if you end up worse off?

Changes in NZ over the last 6 or 7 years seem to have negated a lot of the previous benefits, sadly.
House prices are the real killer.