Dunedin anyone?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Dunedin anyone?

Hi guys,

Looking at Dunedin as part of our ongoing research. We would like to move to somewhere that is not isolated, travelling distance of the Uni and centre. One thing that is worrying us is social life so would be interested in any comments on the following:

What are the best areas to live?
Is there a decent social life around Dunedin?
What is the employment scene like?
Is the whether that cold as some have said?

BEVS here, if you read this I’d still be interested in your comments from our last post on the intro section.

Cheers everyone, look forward to hearing from you.

Dave
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dunedin anyone?

hi guys,

Guess Dunedin is not that popular, oh well, beck to google,

Have fun.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Dave, dont be put off by the lack of replies, i have a driend how lives in Dunedin, he loves it there. Its a little colder than most places but a beautiful place. It was shown on wanted down under recently. He has two girls,18&21 and a boy of 14, all are really enjoying themselves there. They have been In dunedin for about a year and ahalf and have said they won't move from there.
Sorry i cant tell you more. I do know that at NZ house in london you can pick up a Dunedin presentation with dvd. The best way to find out about it i spose is to go there. We will be visiting them in March, so i could let you know in April.

Gary.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

We moved to Dunedin in August 2006. It is a great compact city with easy access to the Uni and access to the sea if you are into water sports etc. It is also within 3-31/2 hours from Central Otago which is great for water sports, skiing etc.. In terms of places to live, St Clair, Andersons Bay have easy access to the beach, they are on bus routes into town and have nurseries, schools etc nearby. There are also good areas at Maori Hill, Roslyn which are further away from the sea but provide great views, and then there is the Penninsula (Macandrew Bay, Portabello etc) which are a bit further out but great for kids. Social life.. well its not Manchester.. but given that it has a big University it does have a range of bars, clubs and restaurants depending on what you want. The place is very laid back so you really do have to make the effort to get out and meet people. If you are single/young couple with no ties then it is probably easier for getting out and about and meeting people. If you work full time and have two kids (like me) then its a bit more of a challenge :-) What type of employment are you looking for?? There are work opportunities out there for various fields

Weather wise!! probably similiar to what you are used to really!! It does get cold and it does snow, so if you are looking for somewhere really warm this is not the place, but dont write it off on that alone.

If you want anymore information I am happy to help were I can :-)
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Guys,

We have 2 boys 15 &12, oldest will be looking at uni so thats why we thought of dunedin. Would be really interested to see how you get on in March Gary so drop us a line when you get back.

Joanned, thanks we have looked at house in most of those areas and liked the look of them. Suppose it's a case of whats available when we come over for a reccie in july. Work wise, thats the tricky one, will be looking at the WR visa. I have 21 yrs in financial service, basically sales but recently started my own Property maintenance business (Renovating property has been a hobby since I could walk). Thinking of using an agency as It could be a bit tricky for us. Are there any areas to stay clear of?

Cheers Dave & Jue.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

just sent you a PM
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

ty, just replied>
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

keep the info rolloing guys, the more info the more we like the sound.

Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You may wish to send a PM to Southerner. He is a Kiwi that returned from the UK to live in Dunedin 4 years ago.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bevs here

did you get pm?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, Dunedin, Edinburgh of the Southern Hemisphere, statue of Robert Burns, the steepest street in the world, a McDonalds with an internet McCafe, 65% of street names taken from Edinburgh, rain on Princes Street which made me feel right at home, nice botanic gardens, the only castle in all of NZ, and just about far enough away from Invercargill to be safe, oh and lots of students who are no longer allowed to burn their sofas...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

hope your right Irnbru as we love Edinburgh, but is the weather as bad??
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
hope your right Irnbru as we love Edinburgh, but is the weather as bad??
Oh, sorry, I didnt actually mean it was physically like Edinburgh, thats more Wellington!!

To quickly explain, Dunedin is the Gaelic name for Edinburgh, thats what I meant, and Dunedin here (NZ) was mainly settled by Scots, and it pinches half the street names from home too, there the similarities end I'm affraid, apart from the fact it has a University with a good reputation...oh and it rains
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:23 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Hi we settled in Dunedin in 2003. We love it here. The weather is not as bad as it's made out, yes it does get cold in winter but it is bearable. You must bear in mind though that houses in NZ are not as insulated as UK houses, central heating is only just becoming available and this is on LPG. Dunedin is a good place for people who like water sports as we have great beaches. There are good schools here and of course the university. Please IM me if you want more details. Hope you enjoy your trip here in July but remember it is our winter so bring jumpers.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SLH
Hi we settled in Dunedin in 2003. We love it here. The weather is not as bad as it's made out, yes it does get cold in winter but it is bearable. You must bear in mind though that houses in NZ are not as insulated as UK houses, central heating is only just becoming available and this is on LPG. Dunedin is a good place for people who like water sports as we have great beaches. There are good schools here and of course the university. Please IM me if you want more details. Hope you enjoy your trip here in July but remember it is our winter so bring jumpers.
Thanks for the info,

One of the reasons for coming over in july is to see what it's like in winter. We could get a false attitude if we came in the middle of summer

Hopefully all will go well and we'll IM if we need anything.

Thanks

Dave & jue