Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunedin....any tips for the tourist?

Dunedin....any tips for the tourist?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:57 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dunedin....any tips for the tourist?

I'll be spending a few days in Dunedin....

Any insider tips on the best bars to hit, places to go, albatrosses to watch?

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:19 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dunedin....any tips for the tourist?

Originally Posted by Avid

Thanks in advance...
not one i'm afraid, but have a good trip.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance...
A few nice places around the centre for a pint, good if you get a nice night! Oh and go and do a speights tour... I enjoyed that!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Go to the Art Gallery in the main octagon. The Italian restaurant nearby is good, as is the fish restaurant on the main street. We stayed on a motel on the main street which was very studenty. If your sleep is easily disturbed, I'm sure a local can give you a better tip on where to stay.

Have a nice break. Are you taking Mrs A? Is she better now?

Alison
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:40 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
Go to the Art Gallery in the main octagon. The Italian restaurant nearby is good, as is the fish restaurant on the main street. We stayed on a motel on the main street which was very studenty. If your sleep is easily disturbed, I'm sure a local can give you a better tip on where to stay.

Have a nice break. Are you taking Mrs A? Is she better now?

Alison
Already booked a place, thanks. The Art Gallery does look interesting...and I think I'll do a penguin tour...though I doubt anything can better Melbourne's 'Parade'

Yes, I'll be taking Mrs A..but no, she's not better yet. But thanks for asking.

Probably do the Speights tour as well....but, then again, I've done brewery tours before...so is it really worth it? i.e. Is there free beer??
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:48 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Strap on your skates and head down Baldwin Street. Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa!

If you crash, don't worry. ACC is awesome.

Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:02 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Probably do the Speights tour as well....but, then again, I've done brewery tours before...so is it really worth it? i.e. Is there free beer??
6 beers are lined up for tasting (each about 7 ounce If I recall correctly).

Some other suggestions:
a swim at the saltwater pool at St Clair
walk to Tunnel Beach
walk up Mt Cargill
the Museum, and view the University
Train trip up the Taieri Gorge
Farmers market at the railway station Saturday morning
city guided Heritage walk
Haggis, neeps and tatties from the Railway Station restaurant
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by happynz
Strap on your skates and head down Baldwin Street. Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa!

If you crash, don't worry. ACC is awesome.

Are you allowed to do ACC more than once?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite an intersting tour. With us they played a DVD of Speights ads and said while it was playing the bar was free - about 10-15 minutes I think. We managed several beers each.
I'm told the restaurant next door is excellent - it was fully booked so we didn't get to go.

We liked the penguin place, though from what I've heard from the Mrs it's not a patch on the Melbourne thing

The Cadburys tour is okay too - free chocolate!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:25 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Are you allowed to do ACC more than once?
As many times as necessary...

Mind the T-junction at the bottom.

Last edited by happynz; Nov 8th 2007 at 12:28 am.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:22 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

The disappointment was that those Crunchies were made of wood

Apparently students went down Baldwin St in a wheelie bin and were killed at the bottom. Take care Avid.

Alison