Dunedin

Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:13 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dunedin

I was wondering if Dunedin was still running advertising within NZ trying to attract people to live there?

It must be the only place in the country that promoted internal migration, I recall seeing faded advertising hoardings in Auckland trying to sell the place and wondered if they still felt the need to do this?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:35 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dunedin

I recon Southerner might know the answer to this one!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Kaz n Joolz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, there's still the odd (literally) ad on the Telly encouraging people to move to Dunedin but as the ad's so bad l don't think many take it too seriously which is great for those of us living here as it's still a secret part of NZ which not many kiwi's think about moving to.....an untapped jewel which would be totally ruined if too many people found out how fantastic it is down here so shhhhhhh...............................!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:06 am

We never made it that far south but I would've liked to have visited, just to see what makes the place so attractive other than its university.

A friend's son has just gone off to study there and I reckon he's going to have a great time as the place seems to have a good rep. I wonder if mine will be tempted to do the same when he's older, although Bond Uni here on the GC looks pretty darned good (wouldn't mind studying there myself) either would beat a UK red-brick any day.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've not seen any ads for Dunedin, there again I don't really watch many broadcast telly channels...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:21 am

No?

They used to be all over the place -advertising boards on the motorway, one at AKL airport and even ads in the cinemas.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kaz n Joolz View Post
Yeah, there's still the odd (literally) ad on the Telly encouraging people to move to Dunedin but as the ad's so bad l don't think many take it too seriously which is great for those of us living here as it's still a secret part of NZ which not many kiwi's think about moving to.....an untapped jewel which would be totally ruined if too many people found out how fantastic it is down here so shhhhhhh...............................!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen
We feel we need to escape from the city mentality and bussle of Auckland and find somewhere we can call home. Somewhere where we can afford to buy a house and raise our boys in safety. Dunedin has always appealed to us and was our origional choice of destination before we moved over. Now, after 8 months in NZ were looking to the South Island. Is Dunedin for us ?? Thoughts please.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:55 am

Hi Spudgun and welcome, it's a long way to go and you'd have to get used to the snow in winter but I can see why you'd want to move from Waitakere. Anywhere else take your fancy?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Spudgun,

Dunedin is where we're based and probably the No1 thing going for the place is that its very good for families. We find that all activities are within a 10min drive (incl sports centres, pools, beaches, parks and gardens, museums, all the ballet/judo/art classes/gyms/music that you could want).

Yes - bring your sledge - we normally get one decent snowfall a year, which makes driving on the hills lots of fun, the kids love when a "snow day" means they have a day off school.

Whether its advertising or something else, there's always plenty of people coming here from the North Island, or further afield.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:11 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty View Post
I recon Southerner might know the answer to this one!

For some strange reason they never did put those billboards up here in Dunedin, so I can't say I've noticed whether they are still advertising or not.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by southerner View Post
Hi Spudgun,

Dunedin is where we're based and probably the No1 thing going for the place is that its very good for families. We find that all activities are within a 10min drive (incl sports centres, pools, beaches, parks and gardens, museums, all the ballet/judo/art classes/gyms/music that you could want).

Yes - bring your sledge - we normally get one decent snowfall a year, which makes driving on the hills lots of fun, the kids love when a "snow day" means they have a day off school.

Whether its advertising or something else, there's always plenty of people coming here from the North Island, or further afield.
Sounds like the GC, except for the snow! Kids here get "cyclone days"
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Spudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really niceSpudgun is just really nice

Originally Posted by southerner View Post
Hi Spudgun,

Thanks for your info Southerner and Nerine. We've been looking south for a few months now. Looked at Christchurch and Timaru, but just have one of those feelings about Dunedin. Probably the same feeling that made us leave Scotland in the first place. Like the thought of a snow day, perhaps not the cyclone day though. What areas of Dunedin are worth looking at property wise? Or should we look outside the city ?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

JoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the roughJoanneD is a jewel in the rough

Hi Spudgun, there have been a few recent threads on places to live in Dunedin so might be worth having a flick through. We live out at Macandrew Bay on the Peninsula which is about 10-15 minutes from the city centre, however there are great places down at the beach like St Claire, and places like Andersons Bay, Maori Hill/Rosyln are also pretty nice. It really depends on what you are looking for
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks JoanneD, Will take a look.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:22 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

When we visited I was quite taken with the place. Great sea-scapes, not far to fantastic views, penguins, albatross', seals and all that kind of stuff. The town (city?) has a great feel and the architecture was really noticable, in the way that most of ChCh architecture just isn't. We'll be heading down there later this year to visit friends and are really looking forward to it.

Can't say that we've seen the Dunedin ads, but we have seen some of the 'Go Dairy' ones. Though all the folk on them look really happy and content, they must have had a week off before they shot the film as from what I've seen and heard about dairy I can't think of anything worse than 16 hr days, hard graft and the constant whiff of moo-cows. No ta, I'd rather just eat them thanks!