Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dual NZ/UK Nationality - Which Passport When We Visit UK?

Dual NZ/UK Nationality - Which Passport When We Visit UK?

Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Wendy Bland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual NZ/UK Nationality - Which Passport When We Visit UK?

Hi All, my partner and I are UK citizens with NZ Returning Residency and we live in NZ. Our kids have dual NZ/UK Nationality. We are planning to go back to UK for a visit at Xmas and need to renew the kids' passports - an expensive business! Does anyone know, will we have to get UK and NZ passports for each of them to use for the trip, or will we just have to get either a UK or NZ passport? Hope someone can help. Cheers!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual NZ/UK Nationality

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to BE, I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

I've moved your thread into our NZ forum for you as I feel that's probably the best place for your questions as others will have had experience of what you are asking.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual NZ/UK Nationality - Which Passport When We Visit UK?

Originally Posted by Wendy Bland
Hi All, my partner and I are UK citizens with NZ Returning Residency and we live in NZ. Our kids have dual NZ/UK Nationality. We are planning to go back to UK for a visit at Xmas and need to renew the kids' passports - an expensive business! Does anyone know, will we have to get UK and NZ passports for each of them to use for the trip, or will we just have to get either a UK or NZ passport? Hope someone can help. Cheers!
If you are living in NZ just renew their NZ passports, they will be able to come through the Brit line with you at UK immigration. They will be given a visitor entry stamp. It would be an idea to do their Brit passports while your there as it is cheaper.
If you only do their Brit ones it will be a hassel to come back into the country. I did it with my son and forgot aboout him needing a residency stamp in the Brit passport. So much easier using an NZ one.
Kaz
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

I think NZ passports are much cheaper (from NZ). I am about to renew my kids NZ passports for $81 each. Hubby and I have Brit passports still even though I've been here 25 years and him 48 years.

We just always go through the shortest queue when travelling to and from UK/NZ.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:48 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

def NZ passports, otherwise when you leave the UK to come back here you'll have to buy return tickets back to the UK for your kids as they won't have any valid documentation to prove they have the right to be in nz! mad as it sounds, it happened to us, a costly business purchasing tickets as you're about to leave heathrow to return.... you can refund once back in nz .... at a cost !!