Drying clothes

Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:33 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drying clothes

Do most people dry clothes outside on washing lines in NZ? I'm not used to that anymore... everyone in the US has a tumble dryer, it seems. We're booking a bach right now and hubby's all concerned about the lack of a tumble dryer, but I said people *probably* dry their clothes outside. Am I right?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:58 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drying clothes

Originally Posted by Maz
Do most people dry clothes outside on washing lines in NZ? I'm not used to that anymore... everyone in the US has a tumble dryer, it seems. We're booking a bach right now and hubby's all concerned about the lack of a tumble dryer, but I said people *probably* dry their clothes outside. Am I right?
You're right Man, that was the biggest adjustment I had to make. We used to laugh at my Dad because as soon as it would start to rain he'd be out dragging clothes off the line and then would go down the road to my sister's house and take hers in too - I'm turning into him The washing assumes an importance hard to believe until you experience it We do have a dryer but it EATS electricity, as they do everywhere.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:08 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
You're right Man, that was the biggest adjustment I had to make. We used to laugh at my Dad because as soon as it would start to rain he'd be out dragging clothes off the line and then would go down the road to my sister's house and take hers in too - I'm turning into him The washing assumes an importance hard to believe until you experience it We do have a dryer but it EATS electricity, as they do everywhere.
Super, thanks so much! I have almost-fond memories of dashing out when it starts raining in England. LOL! Yep ours eats electricity, too, I don't like using it, but when it's below freezing out, it's a bit of a necessity.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:11 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Super, thanks so much! I have almost-fond memories of dashing out when it starts raining in England. LOL! Yep ours eats electricity, too, I don't like using it, but when it's below freezing out, it's a bit of a necessity.
Well, in Auckland the freezing part doesn't really come into it - only the rain And yes, you can't really do without one. I bought mine on Trade Me - I think it cost me $125
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:12 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I think you're either a person who uses them or a person who doesn't.

We've had our Creda one for about 11 yrs - it came with the washer in a deal at Powerhouse.

I seldom used it in the UK (sometimes to get sporting gear dry due to lots of activity in that sport several times a week)

In Australia, I used it about twice - It'd been packed up in the garage for about 2 years and I had to unpack it to get hubby's work clothes dry.

In NZ, I haven't used it, but my mum did when she visited - we don't do the sport anymore and as the climate's the same as in the UK but in reverse.

It's just not an issue for me.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:18 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I miss radiators I used to have wet washing draped all over them on cold wet days and never owned a dryer until I came here. It's broken now but that's not such a bad thing cos as previously mentioned they eat electric :scared:
I just use an old fashioned airer in front of the woodburner now on cold days.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I use my drier to "finish" clothes off. I find due to the humidity, despite the sun beating down, the clothes still aren't 100% dry and so I pop them in for a short cycle.

Rob hates having a clothes horse full of clothes standing around, but with no radiators what am I suposed to do?

I had thought NZ would be so hot that I wouldn't need my tumble drier, so left it with my Mum !!! Big mistake, had to buy one almost immediately.

Really mis having no radiators

Cheers
Gill
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:48 pm
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Rob hates having a clothes horse full of clothes standing around, but with no radiators what am I suposed to do?

Cheers
Gill
I think Mike thinks that a little fairy can dry everything. He hates seeing the clothes horse (I keep it in a spare room with a small dehumidifier), the clothesline is hidden away at the back of the house in probably the worst place for it but he can't bear a clothesline in plain view and to top it all off he hated having clothes over the radiators (when we had them ). Now, try to work with that one! It's the only thing he's got a 'thing' about so I humour him most of the time
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our tumble dryer with us, but never used it here yet. When it's rainy, in Wellington people have lines up in their garages. Our garage has a big metal double door, it really throws off some heat.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:59 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Good tip ... if only I had a double garage
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I used to use the tumble drier because of sheer lazyness, when I stopped using it it saved us $30 a month on the electricity bill, (and there is only two of us doing 3 loads of washing a week). I used to have a phobia about hanging knickers on the line, think it stems from living in too close houses with neighbours just over the fence in the UK!!! But I have conquered it now!!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:56 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by jueinnz
I used to have a phobia about hanging knickers on the line, think it stems from living in too close houses with neighbours just over the fence in the UK!!! But I have conquered it now!!!
LOL yea I conquered that one over here too
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:56 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we dry most of ours outside too - I love the smell of clothes that have been dried in the wind. We are lucky with the weather as pretty much every day I can get them out - even during the winter. We do have an old fashioned pulley as well - in the kitchen area where the woodburner is and its handy as. We had one in glasgow as our only source of drying.
Also have a tumble dryer but have only used it about twice.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Since we moved house theres nowhere to put the tumble dryer... I keep saying I will probably need it connected up before next winter though. They are expensive to run here so Id try not to use it very often. In the spring, summer and autumn I hang the clothes outside.... we are lucky in that we have a clothes line on both sides of the house and both are under cover. In winter they just do not dry outside so Id hang them up in the sun room on clothes horses.