Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Drought! It's official

Drought! It's official

Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drought! It's official

The area north of Auckland has officially become a drought. Hard times for farmers:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10868115

I heard on the news the other day that farmers are selling off livestock to see them through. This means cheap meat prices for the consumer in the short term, but price hikes in the longer term. Might be worth stocking up the freezer if you can.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought! It's official

Originally Posted by jmh

................................... This means cheap meat prices for the consumer in the short term, ............................... .
Don't hold your breath on that one!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Don't hold your breath on that one!
Meat does seem to be cheaper in my local supermarket. Lamb chops about half the price they were at the beginning of the season. Of course you'll get better deals at a butcher shop.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

You just can't beat the Mad Butchers meat!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
The area north of Auckland has officially become a drought. Hard times for farmers:
That'll be Northland then!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:22 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
That'll be Northland then!
The reason I put it like that was in the report I read they said 'north of the Harbour Bridge'. Confused me a bit that did.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:49 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It's spreading - even farmers in the south end of the North Island are now requesting drought status. Looking out of the window I'd agree - that grass is dry as a bone.

I was chainsawing the bottom of some strainer posts yesterday, ready to go in the ground tomorrow - had to make sure I didn't start a fire by the action of a hot blade cutting through very dry and tough posts....

The water level in my stream has been reduced, due to low river levels. Fortunately I'm still getting enough for the horses, cattle beasts and sheep. Our personal water storage is down to about 50%, but I deliberately over-designed the water storage when we designed this place, being of the opinion that you can live without just about anything BUT water. (We're rural, so have to collect and store rain water for our personal use. It's great for lathering up with very little soap / shampoo!!!) People say "You've got a big house..." and I say "Not really. See, we figured out how much water we needed per year, then divided that by the average annual rainfall for this area, and that gave us how much roof we needed to harvest the rainwater. Once we knew how much roof we needed, it was just a case of building some walls under it!"

And they look at me, all big-eyed, and say "Really?!"
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:06 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Whole of the North Island been declared a drought zone now.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10871403

We had a sprinkler ban in place yesterday in Marlborough. Must be getting serious.

Wondering what the state of the hydro lakes are, no one has talk about that yet.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

"Lake Taupo provides the primary storage for the Waikato Hydro System. The lake is operated within a range of only 1.4m – equivalent to just 1% of it’s total volume."

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...W-HMMj5DnGYqmw
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Wondering what the state of the hydro lakes are, no one has talk about that yet.
That crossed my mind too.

I was visiting here in July 2001 when the lakes got so low that the country came close to being unable to generate any more electricity. I remember the New Zealanders were all asked to turn off their beer fridges which I thought was adorable.

On that basis it might be a couple more months before people start to think about it unless they have learned a bit from that episode and done something about it in the intervening period.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Whole of the North Island been declared a drought zone now.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10871403

We had a sprinkler ban in place yesterday in Marlborough. Must be getting serious.

Very bad. It was on the news this week. They are talking of potential 'electricity shortages' due to the very low levels. My, my don't we all take it all for granted?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:30 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

My grass looks dead
Attached Thumbnails Drought!  It's official-image.jpg  
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Very bad. It was on the news this week. They are talking of potential 'electricity shortages' due to the very low levels. My, my don't we all take it all for granted?
It's rained in Auckland all day pretty much but has now stopped...
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:30 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

What a difference a week makes - two days of steady rain and my water tanks are full again, the paddocks have had a good soaking, and the amount of water in the stream has doubled. Phew! Back to normal for me!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:36 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to dry and sunny again after the two day downpour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.