Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving time to other areas

Driving time to other areas

Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving time to other areas

Originally Posted by skybluestu
Hi Scousebird,

If you cant get a job or a job that suits then be prepared to travel, I find driving here is a breeze i just drove back from Auckland to Napier last night. It only took 5 hours and got flashed by a speed camera once ! 8kph to fast - bugger....! But i dont mind driving and was used to commuting around the M42 every day in the UK.

The roads are generally good but very unforgiving you only need to let your concentration laspe once and you have a good chance of going off into a dich, ravine or hitting 44 ton truck coming the other way. I think you would also soon get fed up with travelling an hour each way having to concentrate on driving over a windy hilly road over the Kaimai ranges with no chance to use the cruise control.

Me and sharon (Luckybird) had the same decision with work in Napier. Sharons job was the reason we came to Napier and i was always told to get a GOOD Job in my field i needed to be Auckland or Wellington. Ive had various jobs in the Bay in the seven months since arriving, from driving the class 5 trucks to selling cars for Toyota. As we love Hawkes Bay and we dont want to move away i decided for my own sanity i needed to look elsewhere. I have now got myself a great job with the head office in Wellington but still can live in Napier.

Wellington is too far to travel every day as it takes four hours plus one way. But the Kiwis are very hospitable people and always looking to make some money (in fact its the only way some people can afford to rent a house) and they will happily rent you a room. I rent a room in Eastbourne in Wellington and only use it when i am in town as its far cheaper than 2-3 nights in a Hotel or Motel room.
Good luck with the Job search and where ever you decide to settle.
You must be a slow driver, I can do Welly to Napier in around 3 hours and used to do it regularly (still not something you would want to do every day twice a day though lol).

You gotta go round behind Levin. I think the turn off is right after the gorge.

OP, as everyone else is saying, Tauranga and surrounding areas are your best bets and you shouldnt have too much trouble getting work there. I wouldn't want to commute to any other town from there personally.

I just hate commuting either way LOL. When we moved to Welly from Hawkes Bay we lived in Kapiti and the one hour train ride each way into Welly was a killer for me LOL.

Last edited by bananalana; Jul 31st 2011 at 5:29 am.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Yes I speak with her thanks shes been great. Well at least there are options and although we might not want to do it we might not have much choice if jobs are limited. Thanks.
I would hope so, so fingers crossed then. I keep checking the jobs and hopefully one will come up. Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've got your answer.

No its not really viable to live in Tauranga and travel for work.
The roads are bad at best and commuting isn't like being on a motorway.
Apart from the time factor the cost of fuel will soon begin to tell.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong but I don't remember going over the the Kaimai ranges when we went to Rotorua from Papamoa?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I could be wrong but I don't remember going over the the Kaimai ranges when we went to Rotorua from Papamoa?
No I'm sure you wouldn't have used the Tauranga Direct Road (which is the route through the Kaimai's). For your journey the most logical route would have been straight along the State Highway through Te Puke, Paengaroa and down to Rotorua. It's a much easier drive than the Tauranga Direct Road, and serves that Papamoa side of Tauranga well. Not so useful if you want to travel from central Tauranga to Rotorua though.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

I suppose petrol, wear and tear to your car is another factor to consider but all points are useful. Thanks people. X
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tomsk
No I'm sure you wouldn't have used the Tauranga Direct Road (which is the route through the Kaimai's). For your journey the most logical route would have been straight along the State Highway through Te Puke, Paengaroa and down to Rotorua. It's a much easier drive than the Tauranga Direct Road, and serves that Papamoa side of Tauranga well. Not so useful if you want to travel from central Tauranga to Rotorua though.
And should get even easier as they've started on building a by pass to Te Puke, think it'll go from the Papamoa turn off to Paengaroa.

John.