Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving time to other areas

Driving time to other areas

Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Default Driving time to other areas

If we where to base ourselves in Tauranga what other areas are realistic to travel to for work? I'm just aware that we may not find jobs where we want to live but it we were prepared to travel which surrounding places are easy to access? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: Driving time to other areas

I would think that the large majority of people who live in Tauranga work there or one of the adjoining suburbs or towns (e.g.Bethlehem, Mt Manganui).
Te Puke is about 20mins east if you fancy a job picking kiwi fruit, but the next nearest large town to Tauranga is Rotorua, probably nearly an hour's drive.
John.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:00 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, probably just Tauranga and it's immediate surrounding small towns - don't, for instance, think you can commute to Rotorua for instance.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Johnht thinks Rotorua is an hours drive from Tauranga is that unrealistic? Just trying to keep all options open.

Tried fruit picking in a really weird place in Oz - never again so oppressive and they worked you to the bone! I hope to continue in my profession.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousebird
If we where to base ourselves in Tauranga what other areas are realistic to travel to for work? I'm just aware that we may not find jobs where we want to live but it we were prepared to travel which surrounding places are easy to access? Thanks in advance.
This is why everyone lives in Auckland or Wellington
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:17 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Johnht thinks Rotorua is an hours drive from Tauranga is that unrealistic? Just trying to keep all options open.

Tried fruit picking in a really weird place in Oz - never again so oppressive and they worked you to the bone! I hope to continue in my profession.
Try it first - it isn't a straight "A" road to Rotorua - from memory it's a windy hilly road over the Kaimai ranges - a pretty drive yes but a very long one road in one road out commute... I'm sure a local will quote specifics but bear in mind the roads are very different out here..
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't want to commute from Tauranga to Rotorua on a daily basis, but I do know people who do it . It would be around an hours' travelling time & a distance of probably about 75kms

Depending on what side of Tauranga you are there's the Tauranga direct road which is a bit narrow & winding that brings you in to the west side of Rotorua,(Hamurana, Kahoroa, Ngongataha, Western Heights, Kawaha Point & in to the city centre) or if you travel from the Mount or Papamoa you use the slightly more user friendly, state highway (can't remember the number for the life of me I'm sorry) which brings you in to the east side of Rotorua (Okere Falls, Titikere, Owhata, Lynmore & in to the city centre). Which route you'd choose would really depend on your start & end point I'd suggest. Roads, in the main, simply aren't as good here as they are in the UK, and there aren't as many choices of routes....but then there's considerably less road users to contend with
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Driving time to other areas

Hi Scousebird,

If you cant get a job or a job that suits then be prepared to travel, I find driving here is a breeze i just drove back from Auckland to Napier last night. It only took 5 hours and got flashed by a speed camera once ! 8kph to fast - bugger....! But i dont mind driving and was used to commuting around the M42 every day in the UK.

The roads are generally good but very unforgiving you only need to let your concentration laspe once and you have a good chance of going off into a dich, ravine or hitting 44 ton truck coming the other way. I think you would also soon get fed up with travelling an hour each way having to concentrate on driving over a windy hilly road over the Kaimai ranges with no chance to use the cruise control.

Me and sharon (Luckybird) had the same decision with work in Napier. Sharons job was the reason we came to Napier and i was always told to get a GOOD Job in my field i needed to be Auckland or Wellington. Ive had various jobs in the Bay in the seven months since arriving, from driving the class 5 trucks to selling cars for Toyota. As we love Hawkes Bay and we dont want to move away i decided for my own sanity i needed to look elsewhere. I have now got myself a great job with the head office in Wellington but still can live in Napier.

Wellington is too far to travel every day as it takes four hours plus one way. But the Kiwis are very hospitable people and always looking to make some money (in fact its the only way some people can afford to rent a house) and they will happily rent you a room. I rent a room in Eastbourne in Wellington and only use it when i am in town as its far cheaper than 2-3 nights in a Hotel or Motel room.
Good luck with the Job search and where ever you decide to settle.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the information. I do remember the one road in and one road out routes but without being able to put journeys into context its hard to plan whether its realistic or not. I have always lived at least 20 or 30 miles away from where I work but I was hoping not to have to do this in NZ. Are there any other towns nearby were there could also be employment opportunities? Just throwing that net further afield?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:39 am

what kind of work are you looking for?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS
what kind of work are you looking for?
Dare I say social work (child protect) and graphic design work for OH
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:16 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Dare I say social work (child protect) and graphic design work for OH
Have you PM'd bolton1? She lives in Tauranga and is a social worker? And she's lovely.

My ex has been commuting from Papamoa to Rotorua for a year, 45 minute drive. But I hear he's now moving there. Personally I couldn't do it.

Cambridge is about an hour, Hamilton is about an hour and 20 minutes.

It's not the best place to commute from, but plenty of people do.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Have you PM'd bolton1? She lives in Tauranga and is a social worker? And she's lovely.

My ex has been commuting from Papamoa to Rotorua for a year, 45 minute drive. But I hear he's now moving there. Personally I couldn't do it.

Cambridge is about an hour, Hamilton is about an hour and 20 minutes.

It's not the best place to commute from, but plenty of people do.
Yes I speak with her thanks shes been great. Well at least there are options and although we might not want to do it we might not have much choice if jobs are limited. Thanks.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:32 pm

I know you have to take whatever you can, but I would have thought with those skills you both should be able to find work in Tauranga itself.... or is it the social makeup that means that Rotorua has a work pull for you?
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:48 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Tauranga is one of the fastest growing cities in NZ, 2nd after Auckland I think. Population about 100,000. There should be jobs there in your field. Most of the towns in the immediate vicinity are small (ie 4000 or less population), like Te Puke or Waihi, except Mt Maunganui, which many people count as part of Tauranga anyway. Otherwise it's at least an hours drive to Rotorua and Hamilton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.