Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving in Nz is it safe? What to look out for?

Driving in Nz is it safe? What to look out for?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:37 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default Driving in Nz is it safe? What to look out for?

Hi all,
I am looking to hire a car when I visit Nz (First time yippee). I will be visiting Auckland and Wellington. Is it safe to drive there and what should i look out for? Any Tips ?

Thank You For Your Time.
Regards,
Imz
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:34 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Nz is it safe? What to look out for?

Look out for the incoming traffic that is turning right (your left that is, coming on your right hand side...) as you need to let them go first....

I still forget... And they dont like it!!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi all,
I am looking to hire a car when I visit Nz (First time yippee). I will be visiting Auckland and Wellington. Is it safe to drive there and what should i look out for? Any Tips ?

Thank You For Your Time.
Regards,
Imz
hi yes do what ever signs say , as they are hot on you slowing down at a stop sign when you should stop, also use indicators always when coming off roundabouts, my mate got fined $40 for not useing them, and more so when going though town keep to the speed limits there will be plenty of boy racers
who will be trying to get in your boot just ignore them happy driving
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for a couple of weeks now in Wellington and compared to the M25 it's a piece of cake. There are a couple of odd rules which were mentioned above. Our main problem is that the indicator/windscreen wipers are on opposite sides so we keep cleaning the windows rather than indicating.
There are more motorways in Auckland but nothing to be alarmed about, and plenty of hill starts around Wellington, which with so much less volume of traffic you should have no problems.

We've only had one delay on the motorway, again the difference with the UK is that there are usually no alternative routes round the problem.

The only other thing to be aware of is the time it takes to get to places. I remember the first time we came thinking 'State Highway 1' sounds like a motorway - several lanes and fast - but no in a lot of parts it's just a single lane carriageway. I think the AA do a time distance planner which is fairly accurate.

Enjoy, you'll have no problems
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:12 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Of course it's safe to drive in New Zealand !!

If you believe what you read in this and other forums, you'd think that the roads here are covered with homicidal maniacs driving cars straight out of Mad Max. Believe me, its just no like that.

In the main cities its busy, of course, but if youve ever driven in London, Manchester or Birmingham (or, god forbid, Paris) its a piece of cake.

Kiwis will tell you that the traffic in Auckland is awful, but after spending most of my working life commuting round the M25, its really not bad at all.

Outside the main cities the traffic is very light, so no problems.

Just learn up about the "left turn rule" and watch out for it on the road.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:57 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"Look out for the incoming traffic that is turning right (your left that is, coming on your right hand side...) as you need to let them go first...."

errr its a really weird rule, and as far as I know, its unique to NZ

the way I remember it is :

If you are turning LEFT, then you must give way to drivers ON YOUR RIGHT, WHO ARE TURNING RIGHT, unless they are prevented from doing so by traffic coming from behind you.

And its that last bit that is what causes the problems.

YOU have to decide if the driver turning right is going to turn or not. And if you get it wrong, its YOUR fault for not giving way !!

Its a stupid, illogical rule that only works because of the light traffic. Even the NZ AA are campaigning to get it changed.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

not sure now but it was the same in new south wales.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
"Look out for the incoming traffic that is turning right (your left that is, coming on your right hand side...) as you need to let them go first...."

errr its a really weird rule, and as far as I know, its unique to NZ

the way I remember it is :

If you are turning LEFT, then you must give way to drivers ON YOUR RIGHT, WHO ARE TURNING RIGHT, unless they are prevented from doing so by traffic coming from behind you.

And its that last bit that is what causes the problems.

YOU have to decide if the driver turning right is going to turn or not. And if you get it wrong, its YOUR fault for not giving way !!

Its a stupid, illogical rule that only works because of the light traffic. Even the NZ AA are campaigning to get it changed.
the left turn rule was designed to accommodate trams on the public roads, but as we have very few trams left it is a rule that we should have changed like they did in NSW
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:10 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Is it safe to drive in New Zealand?

Only as safe as you are a driver to avoid any incidents that can cause it to be unsafe! Same as anywhere else.

What to look for?

Other Motorists who are not as switched on as you, again as in anywhere.

Pretty much the road rules are the same as in the UK then one big differance is the Give way to the right rule which is if you are turning Left you give way to the oncoming car that is turning right across your path.
Just check your mirrors and react faster than the other driver that works well and never hesitate on that rule.

Other tip is maintain the speedlimit and if you get a anal rectum trying to push you to go faster let them pass where it is safe. Second point dont hold up traffic unless you are doing the speedlimit.

Yes I know a few people are about to say that does not happen in NZ well to you guys you have forgotten to use the common courtesy that we as Brits have or used to have then shame on you. You cant bring up driving standards if you follow the sheep.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
There are a couple of odd rules which were mentioned above. Our main problem is that the indicator/windscreen wipers are on opposite sides so we keep cleaning the windows rather than indicating.
Should have bought a European car then
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi all,

Thank You For Your Time.
Regards,
Imz
Look out for the drunken, speeding idiots overtaking when its dangerous, don't forget the tail gaters and those who think they own the road. You will experience little if any courtesy and every driver seems to be in a hurry, thus impatient thus another stat. waiting to happen.

Fatalities are 30% higher per capita than in the UK...approximately. You DO have to drive very defensively. Drink driving is socially acceptable like it was back in the 70s in the UK. 15 year olds can drive with out insurance any type/size/power car they like. Sorry to be so blunt but its one of the major negatives living here. No where is perfect. Oh and don't forget the beach is a road....50klms speed limit mind. So we lose the occasional sun bather to idiots on the sand. It is certainly not a reason to not drive just be aware. And DO stop at a stop sign..even if nothing's coming.

Factor in the rubbish state of the roads, the fact that there is virtually no median strip or protection from on coming tarffic and few bends with precipitous drops have barriers it makes NZ roads quite unsafe in contrast to UK ones. Fore warned is fore armed aye??

Last edited by Genesis; Oct 4th 2009 at 11:59 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:39 am
Enjoying retirement

Originally Posted by Genesis
Look out for the drunken, speeding idiots overtaking when its dangerous, don't forget the tail gaters and those who think they own the road. You will experience little if any courtesy and every driver seems to be in a hurry, thus impatient thus another stat. waiting to happen.

Fatalities are 30% higher per capita than in the UK...approximately. You DO have to drive very defensively. Drink driving is socially acceptable like it was back in the 70s in the UK. 15 year olds can drive with out insurance any type/size/power car they like. Sorry to be so blunt but its one of the major negatives living here. No where is perfect. Oh and don't forget the beach is a road....50klms speed limit mind. So we lose the occasional sun bather to idiots on the sand. It is certainly not a reason to not drive just be aware. And DO stop at a stop sign..even if nothing's coming.

Factor in the rubbish state of the roads, the fact that there is virtually no median strip or protection from on coming tarffic and few bends with precipitous drops have barriers it makes NZ roads quite unsafe in contrast to UK ones. Fore warned is fore armed aye??
I'm sorry, but with the greatest respect, I think you must be living in a different country to me.

I know you live in a "city" and I live in a rural town, but we're both on the same main road (SH3) and I can honestly say I've hardly experienced any of this sort of behaviour
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but with the greatest respect, I think you must be living in a different country to me.

I know you live in a "city" and I live in a rural town, but we're both on the same main road (SH3) and I can honestly say I've hardly experienced any of this sort of behaviour
I'm with Nakiman on this one more than Genesis...OP is planning on 7 days in Wellington...driving in Wellington is easy and polite on the whole (must be all the expats).
The NZ road death figures are scary but most happens after dark I think and is often drugs/drink related so if you are only driving around during the day you should be ok.
The speed limits in cities such as Wellington are so low (50km or less) that you are unlikely to come to any harm even if in a prang.
Avoid overtaking when out on SH1 single lane would be my best advice (wait for the excellent passing places instead) but I avoid overtaking in UK on single carriageways too. Of course you can't account for the idiot coming in the opposite direction on your side of the road but if you are not the one overtaking when it is unsafe, your risk is reduced.

Also BEWARE the level crossings without barriers....stop and look...sometimes not enough warning given.
We have done 2 driving holidays all over North and South island and found the roads emptyish and the manners pretty polite on the whole.

The give way to the right rule is ridiculous but in practice there are not that many places where it applies where I am at least. Never assume someone will give way to you under it, as they could be a newly arrived expat unaware of it. Genesis is right about the quality outside major towns though...and the drops to either side with no crash barrier are unbelievable in places. Avoid unsealed roads as very joggly and you have to go slowly to navigate in safety...Coramandel is the main place we encountered them.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 5th 2009 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I think Palmy not only generally has a crap reputation but is full of crappy drivers too. I speak only of the driving in a 100klm range which is where I do most of my driving. I am more than prepared to accept its a local thing. However the 15 year olds in their 5 litre monsters, the poor roads, drink drive attitude and the way higher fatality rate than the UK prevail all over NZ.

Last edited by Genesis; Oct 5th 2009 at 2:22 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:23 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you on that one, I feel safe driving here and i havent experienced any of that either, in fact I didnt drive in the UK, took it up again while I was here... and could apply to alot of countries you just cant anticipate for the idiots on the road in any country...and for the barriers well be careful when you drive then!

Last edited by love30stm; Oct 5th 2009 at 2:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.