Driving license

Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving license

Can I use my U.K. driving license for the 1st year I am in New Zealand?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving license

yes but its easy to get a NZ license now. just go to an AA shop and take an eye test and you can get it it done
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:03 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, in fact it 'renews' itself every time you leave NZ. So if yuo plan to travel or go on holiday every year you can keep it for years....

However as you may not have an address in the UK, technically your UK licence may no longer be legal, though to be honest the DVLA give conflicting advice on this.

There is also ancedotal evidence that car insurance is more expensive or has a higher excess with a UK licence, though again mine (State) isn't.

BTW it also costs about $50 to get a new Kiwi licence, yes you have to do an eye test, also you need to bring proof of address and photo ID (a passport) and the names must match EXACTLY to your drivers licence.

You get a paper temp licence on the spot and a photo card sent in the post takes about 10 days. They do not take your UK one off you BUT like I said it's probably not legal anyway (but at least if you do gome back to the Uk you just need to repalce the photocard).

A tip...unless you are settled in one home, DON'T have your address on the licence...that'll save you changing it everytime you move house, although you still have to inform them by phone when you move.

Last tip - DONT be tempted to use your UK licence in NZ once you have a Kiwi one (i.e. to aviod getting points on it) because there is a cross reference and you will get found out.

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Jun 30th 2010 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I thought you had to take a test again?
Now Im not sure where I have heard that, but I have been driving around like a pensioner in preparation....
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:19 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zoexr
I thought you had to take a test again?
Now Im not sure where I have heard that, but I have been driving around like a pensioner in preparation....
Nahhh no test again.. MattandJax are quite right.. pop down to the AA - $45, a mugshot and an eye test later alls good :-) -

The thing is if you've a UK licence you have to leave a gap between you and the car in front, indicate before you manoeuvre and generally be courteous on the road. Once the NZ one pops through the door - YOU CAN DO WHAT THE HELL YOU LIKE

Last edited by bga; Jul 1st 2010 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Driving license

Originally Posted by MattandJax
yes but its easy to get a NZ license now. just go to an AA shop and take an eye test and you can get it it done
Wow... thats good news! cos when we were in Oz a few yrs bk we would have to do a written test and eye test! phew .... the best news - given the awful ILETs we have to do for nurse reg!
xx
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 127luton
Wow... thats good news! cos when we were in Oz a few yrs bk we would have to do a written test and eye test! phew .... the best news - given the awful ILETs we have to do for nurse reg!
xx
yes its all quite a recent change! and thanks goodness! one less hurdle!
jax