Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:24 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Yes, little, old, boring me again I'm afraid - really need to get out more!

I'm confused with regard to driving licence laws once we get to NZ?

Can we drive on our UK licence indefinately? At all? To live there rather than holiday do we need to change to a NZ licence? Is this straightforward paperwork or do we need to re-sit a test involving driving Japanese import, with 12" exhaust, souped up engine, low profile tyres and a mega sound system? Do we have to pretend to understand the thinking behind the giving way to someone turning right?! Most importantly - will I be able to bring my pink, fluffy dice?
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:46 pm
  #2  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Yes, little, old, boring me again I'm afraid - really need to get out more!

I'm confused with regard to driving licence laws once we get to NZ?

Can we drive on our UK licence indefinately? At all? To live there rather than holiday do we need to change to a NZ licence? Is this straightforward paperwork or do we need to re-sit a test involving driving Japanese import, with 12" exhaust, souped up engine, low profile tyres and a mega sound system? Do we have to pretend to understand the thinking behind the giving way to someone turning right?! Most importantly - will I be able to bring my pink, fluffy dice?

Hiya Fairy Lady!!

I read a thread a little while back re tests in NZ but cant find the web address at the mo; one of my girls has helped themselves to my notepad and its disappeared into the abyss that is a12 year olds bedroom!! If I can find it I'll post it over the weekend.

Remember that you have to do a multiple choice kinda test but from what I can gather no practical! (Phew! dont think I could take that stress)

I'm pretty sure if you googled it on NZ it'll be there

Sarah
P2L is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:01 pm
  #3  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Yes, little, old, boring me again I'm afraid - really need to get out more!

I'm confused with regard to driving licence laws once we get to NZ?

Can we drive on our UK licence indefinately? At all? To live there rather than holiday do we need to change to a NZ licence? Is this straightforward paperwork or do we need to re-sit a test involving driving Japanese import, with 12" exhaust, souped up engine, low profile tyres and a mega sound system? Do we have to pretend to understand the thinking behind the giving way to someone turning right?! Most importantly - will I be able to bring my pink, fluffy dice?

Found it!! web is www.roadcodetest.co.nz.

Sorry can't put link on cos I don't know how to yet!! I need my 2 year old to show me how!!

Also got dyslexic fingers tonight. trying to cut down on the wine in preparation for medicals!! Don't know why when we haven't booked them yet!!

Last edited by P2L; Oct 20th 2006 at 10:03 pm.
P2L is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:05 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Hello

You can drive on your UK license for 12 months without having to convert it to a NZ one. Its easy enough... I went to a local AA centre and you have to take some ID... and some money... cant remember exactly how much.(somewhere around $90) You only take a theory test and not a practical. Its multiple choice and very easy if you buy the Road Users Code for motorists and study the test questions in the back. I managed to get 100% right and it took me abut 3 minutes to complete... I was determined to beat OH as he got a question wrong. If you get caught for speeding during that 12 months and youre still on your UK license they cant give you the points, only the fine. HTH
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:09 pm
  #5  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hello

You can drive on your UK license for 12 months without having to convert it to a NZ one. Its easy enough... I went to a local AA centre and you have to take some ID... and some money... cant remember exactly how much.(somewhere around $90) You only take a theory test and not a practical. Its multiple choice and very easy if you buy the Road Users Code for motorists and study the test questions in the back. I managed to get 100% right and it took me abut 3 minutes to complete... I was determined to beat OH as he got a question wrong. If you get caught for speeding during that 12 months and youre still on your UK license they cant give you the points, only the fine. HTH

Hi Sarah B

Does the system work in a similar way to here re points and fines? Touch wood (head!) I've got a clean licence at the mo but I know that NZ police are quite useful with a laser from what we saw last year
P2L is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:21 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Just asked OH and he said yes its basically the same.

The speed limits seem a bit slow when you first drive here but IMO the standard of driving here (Auckland) can be pretty atrocious so you dont really want to be going too fast. The main thing that bugged me to start with was a general lack of courtesy... eg if youre waiting to back out of a parking space then dont assume anyone will give way to you to let you out coz they wont. I'm used to it now.
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:29 pm
  #7  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just asked OH and he said yes its basically the same.

The speed limits seem a bit slow when you first drive here but IMO the standard of driving here (Auckland) can be pretty atrocious so you dont really want to be going too fast. The main thing that bugged me to start with was a general lack of courtesy... eg if youre waiting to back out of a parking space then dont assume anyone will give way to you to let you out coz they wont. I'm used to it now.

We drove a 12 seater minibus between 4 of us last year on North Island and interesting! would be one word to describe it. I'm just grateful I didn't have to test my understanding of the right hand turn rule!!!
P2L is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:30 pm
  #8  
Thread Starter
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just asked OH and he said yes its basically the same.

The speed limits seem a bit slow when you first drive here but IMO the standard of driving here (Auckland) can be pretty atrocious so you dont really want to be going too fast. The main thing that bugged me to start with was a general lack of courtesy... eg if youre waiting to back out of a parking space then dont assume anyone will give way to you to let you out coz they wont. I'm used to it now.
More tests?! Oh dear Lord, am fairy, have wings, will travel? Will that cut any ice with the cops?! Right so keep UK licence for 12 months - what about it having a UK address on it? Am confused (Am bloody Loolah says Hubster!)

Have heard too that they are very strict on both drink/driving and speeding? Are you allowed any alcohol before you drive or is it none at all to get behind the wheel? I.e: Is there an "Over the limit?"

How's your bump Sarah? Friend of mines waters dramatically burst 2 months early this week with her first. She lost 6lbs of fluid! Ewwwwww.

Any names for the little Lady yet?
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:42 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
More tests?! Oh dear Lord, am fairy, have wings, will travel? Will that cut any ice with the cops?! Right so keep UK licence for 12 months - what about it having a UK address on it? Am confused (Am bloody Loolah says Hubster!)

Have heard too that they are very strict on both drink/driving and speeding? Are you allowed any alcohol before you drive or is it none at all to get behind the wheel? I.e: Is there an "Over the limit?"

How's your bump Sarah? Friend of mines waters dramatically burst 2 months early this week with her first. She lost 6lbs of fluid! Ewwwwww.

Any names for the little Lady yet?
Yes youre fine driving on your UK license for first year.... I took my test after about 10 months and worried about it so much beforehand but really it was easy. It doesnt matter about the address. The NZ license is green but just like the UK small pink one. You have to carry it with you whenever you drive anywhere.

Yes they are pretty strict here.... there are lots of very good adverts on TV too about drink driving and speeding... they ought to show a lot more... they are really good. I dont know what the limit is sorry as it wouldnt occur to me to ever have any alcohol at all and then get behind a steering wheel.

"Bump" is getting big and I'm at that feeling horrible and awkward stage already... and I still have 3 months left!! :scared: A couple of names floating around in my head but I can guarantee that my OH wouldnt like them... he doesnt like any I like!

Off to bake my homemade foccacia now... its been proving in my black car for the last hour...nice and hot in there!
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:49 pm
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Yes youre fine driving on your UK license for first year.... I took my test after about 10 months and worried about it so much beforehand but really it was easy. It doesnt matter about the address. The NZ license is green but just like the UK small pink one. You have to carry it with you whenever you drive anywhere.

Yes they are pretty strict here.... there are lots of very good adverts on TV too about drink driving and speeding... they ought to show a lot more... they are really good. I dont know what the limit is sorry as it wouldnt occur to me to ever have any alcohol at all and then get behind a steering wheel.

"Bump" is getting big and I'm at that feeling horrible and awkward stage already... and I still have 3 months left!! :scared: A couple of names floating around in my head but I can guarantee that my OH wouldnt like them... he doesnt like any I like!

Off to bake my homemade foccacia now... its been proving in my black car for the last hour...nice and hot in there!
Proving or sweating?! Come on share the names thus far? I've done my breeding, but still have loads of names for kids - hoping the dogs have puppies!!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:54 pm
  #11  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Proving or sweating?! Come on share the names thus far? I've done my breeding, but still have loads of names for kids - hoping the dogs have puppies!!

Gotta neighbour who had a little boy last week and called it Kemsley!! if you want unusual!!!

Apparantly would have been Trinity if it was a girl!
P2L is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:58 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Tauranga (for now)
Posts: 298
Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just asked OH and he said yes its basically the same.

The speed limits seem a bit slow when you first drive here but IMO the standard of driving here (Auckland) can be pretty atrocious so you dont really want to be going too fast. The main thing that bugged me to start with was a general lack of courtesy... eg if youre waiting to back out of a parking space then dont assume anyone will give way to you to let you out coz they wont. I'm used to it now.
The standard of driving is shocking in Tauranga too.
The worst thing generally is how close people drive to your rear bumper. Young and old do it here, just can't work out why!
We see all kinds of nutty manoevers every time we go out.
It amazes me how you can be driving along an arrow straight road and nothing has come the other way for ages. Some idiot will speed up from behind and attach themselves to you rear bumper. This goes on for some time until you either come to bend in the road, a small hump in the road so you can't see what's coming or another car coming the other way. Then and only then will they over take. I kid you not!!!
At this point I'll put my head down and await the flak!!!!
Markk is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:37 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Whangaparaoa, 30mins North of Auckland
Posts: 215
Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Markk
The standard of driving is shocking in Tauranga too.
The worst thing generally is how close people drive to your rear bumper. Young and old do it here, just can't work out why!
We see all kinds of nutty manoevers every time we go out.
It amazes me how you can be driving along an arrow straight road and nothing has come the other way for ages. Some idiot will speed up from behind and attach themselves to you rear bumper. This goes on for some time until you either come to bend in the road, a small hump in the road so you can't see what's coming or another car coming the other way. Then and only then will they over take. I kid you not!!!
At this point I'll put my head down and await the flak!!!!
No flak for telling the truth--No licence? No insurance?No warrant?Pissed as a parrot?Signed the Treaty of Waitangi? She'll be right,mate!
Tooanfrom is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:42 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Proving or sweating?! Come on share the names thus far? I've done my breeding, but still have loads of names for kids - hoping the dogs have puppies!!
Honestly, that black car I have is a fantastic proving oven. Bread and buns go in there and rise really well... even on colder days its still pretty good.

I think its almost as bad naming animals as it is kids. I will try not to change an animals name if I can help it but sometimes you just have no choice. My beautiful arabian horse was called Rambo!! I mean, he was so proud and elegant... what a horrible name. I asked the breeder why she called him Rambo and she said when he was born he had big knees.... eh??? I shortened his name to Beau which was mush better. I had a black and white cat called Primrose but I hated that and just shortened it to Prim which suited her as she was a right little snobby cat.... lol

We have really good names for our 2 cats now... they are called White Cat and Grey Cat... hmmmmmm
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:48 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
danny.f's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Porirua,NZ
Posts: 3,275
danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences for New Zealand?

I got home from our hols last year and had a speeding fine...80 mph...in a 4 tonne motorhome... no points though.
Cat called Dennis!
danny.f is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.