British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   driving licences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/driving-licences-595066/)

tturner1 Mar 2nd 2009 10:17 pm

driving licences

hi, i know that full uk driving licences can be changed to NZ licences, but my son has a UK provisional licence and wants to know if he can chage it to the learner licence.

Genesis Mar 2nd 2009 10:24 pm

Re: driving licences

Originally Posted by tturner1 (Post 7338932)
hi, i know that full uk driving licences can be changed to NZ licences, but my son has a UK provisional licence and wants to know if he can chage it to the learner licence.

You can drive at 15 in NZ..obviously with certain restriction (unless you have passed your test:eek:). I imagine he just goes to any AA centre (which is one of the agencies that assists Land and Transport with the issuing of licences). Once there he asks for the application form to apply for his NZ learner's licence. Easy peasy aye? Don't see any benefit in swapping one learners licence and doubt if you can do it. I had to pay $85 odd to change my UK full licence to an NZ one anyway..twice infact AND another $85 to change to motor bike licence aswell!!

Kiwiprincess Mar 2nd 2009 10:40 pm

I think the only reciprocal arrangements for non-provisional licences relate to Australian licence holders in NZ. Even then it may only work the other way (NZers to Australia).

If he does need to start again he should probably go to www.ltsa.govt.nz which is the Land Transport website - all the info on licences and driving in NZ is on that. He may also need to pick up a copy of the NZ Road Code.

Basically, the procedures are: he reads his road code then sits a theory test to get a learners permit.

After time and practice on a learners permit (and a few things to make it quicker) and he will have to sit a practical test to move to a restricted licence.

After time on the restricted licence and a few things to make it quicker he sits an 'exit' test to be allowed a full licence. Depending on the region he lives in and the testing officer concerned this can be very straightforward or a pain in the patoody.

harrogate girl Mar 2nd 2009 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by tturner1 (Post 7338932)

Did you know also that if you hold a full uk lincence you are now no longer required to do any test:thumbsup: just pay around $48.00 FILL in a from do the eye test have a photo taken by them :D take with you your full driver lincence with the phot of you on it, and a passport.
Lin

UKNZAUS Mar 3rd 2009 12:16 am

Originally Posted by harrogate girl (Post 7339116)
Did you know also that if you hold a full uk lincence you are now no longer required to do any test:thumbsup: just pay around $48.00 FILL in a from do the eye test have a photo taken by them :D take with you your full driver lincence with the phot of you on it, and a passport.
Lin

Unless you have been driving less than 2 years on a FULL UK driving licence. I was nearly caught out with this one, and went back after I had my 2 years driving experience. If you have a full driving licence but less than 2 years driving experience from the date of passing, then you have to sit a theory AND the practical again!

harrogate girl Mar 3rd 2009 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 7339255)
Unless you have been driving less than 2 years on a FULL UK driving licence. I was nearly caught out with this one, and went back after I had my 2 years driving experience. If you have a full driving licence but less than 2 years driving experience from the date of passing, then you have to sit a theory AND the practical again!

HI understand what you have said but this has only just been made available to uk holders and been driving for some time!!!! that no test is now required.
I was with a friend less then 4 weeks ago and we was informed that all she had to do was show her uk licence and it did not matter she had been her since 2004.:o:o
As for you having to do the theory and practical again was you under 25 at the time?as my girl friend also had to do this again but have to say that was a couple of years back.
Lin

NakiMan Mar 3rd 2009 1:57 am

"Unless you have been driving less than 2 years on a FULL UK driving licence. I was nearly caught out with this one, and went back after I had my 2 years driving experience. If you have a full driving licence but less than 2 years driving experience from the date of passing, then you have to sit a theory AND the practical again!"

Is that correct?

Take a look at http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

In particular :

"Do you have a current and valid* overseas driver licence or international driving permit?

*A current and valid overseas driver licence means that your licence allows you to legally drive in your own country. If you are disqualified from driving or your licence is currently suspended, expired or revoked, then you are not allowed to drive in New Zealand. "

and

Yes – I do have a current overseas driver licence or international driving permit

If you do have a current and valid overseas driver licence or international driving permit, you can drive using that for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. Note: if your overseas licence or permit isn't in English, you must carry an accurate translation. See Other information you need to know below for more information.

Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on your overseas licence or international driving permit.

What happens after one year?

If you wish to drive after one year, you must first gain a New Zealand driver licence. We recommend you apply early to make sure you have a new licence before the one year is up.

Forms to use to apply for an overseas licence conversion are available from the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) driver licensing agents.

Depending on the country you have come from, you may have to pass theory and/or a practical driving tests.

And

Theory test?

You do not have to sit the theory test if:

* you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
* your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
* you are converting a car or a motorcycle licence.

You do have to sit a theory test if:

* you have a licence from a country not listed above; or
* you are converting a heavy vehicle licence from any country.

No mention that I can see of any referece to how long you must have held your overseas license, just that it must be valid for the country of origin

UKNZAUS Mar 3rd 2009 3:21 am

Originally Posted by harrogate girl (Post 7339332)
HI understand what you have said but this has only just been made available to uk holders and been driving for some time!!!! that no test is now required.
I was with a friend less then 4 weeks ago and we was informed that all she had to do was show her uk licence and it did not matter she had been her since 2004.:o:o
As for you having to do the theory and practical again was you under 25 at the time?as my girl friend also had to do this again but have to say that was a couple of years back.
Lin

Yep - they gave me 2 choices last September, pay for theory test AND practical there and then or come back a month later when I had been driving for 2 years and transfer it straight over! I forgot all about it only went back last Thursday (26 Feb). Because I was already in the system they tried making me do a practical anyway... but I refused and made them call Land Transport whilst I was stood there! Oh and I'm nearly 30 so not even classed as a 'young driver' *damn* This was at the Orewa, Auckland, branch of the AA. I compromised, after arguing for over an hour, at a theory test and passed it but there was no way on earth I was going through another practical test.

UKNZAUS Mar 3rd 2009 3:24 am

Originally Posted by NakiMan (Post 7339464)
No mention that I can see of any referece to how long you must have held your overseas license, just that it must be valid for the country of origin

Which was why I stood arguing with them for more than an hour but they would not budge an inch! My hubby went and got his no problem whatsoever, just pad his $48 and had it through within days. The lady who dealt with hiw was a Pom and the lazy, tired Kiwi who dealt with mine was a right jobsworth :mad:

NakiMan Mar 3rd 2009 4:17 am

Amazing...

Think I might have tried going to another AA shop in another town.

Would be nice, definitivly, to know who's right and whos wrong though, or is this another example of the anti immigrant attitude that seems to pervade some Kiwi institutions.

tturner1 Mar 3rd 2009 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7338953)
You can drive at 15 in NZ..obviously with certain restriction (unless you have passed your test:eek:). I imagine he just goes to any AA centre (which is one of the agencies that assists Land and Transport with the issuing of licences). Once there he asks for the application form to apply for his NZ learner's licence. Easy peasy aye? Don't see any benefit in swapping one learners licence and doubt if you can do it. I had to pay $85 odd to change my UK full licence to an NZ one anyway..twice infact AND another $85 to change to motor bike licence aswell!!

Hi genesis, thanks for the info, my hubby isnt going to be too pleased when he's to pay for his motorbike licence as well as his car!!!!
My son says ta!

harrogate girl Mar 3rd 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 7339623)
Yep - they gave me 2 choices last September, pay for theory test AND practical there and then or come back a month later when I had been driving for 2 years and transfer it straight over! I forgot all about it only went back last Thursday (26 Feb). Because I was already in the system they tried making me do a practical anyway... but I refused and made them call Land Transport whilst I was stood there! Oh and I'm nearly 30 so not even classed as a 'young driver' *damn* This was at the Orewa, Auckland, branch of the AA. I compromised, after arguing for over an hour, at a theory test and passed it but there was no way on earth I was going through another practical test.

I Had one other girl friend that had to take her test again:curse::curse: she was 26 at the time but only been driving for 18months (and passed in London) when she arrived in NZ, Her partner WHO is from NZ was so mad he called to the AA office in Ch-Ch to tell them lots f. later!!! went back to work sat at the lights young girl with 3 others school friends run into him and he was pushed into the car in front she was just 16. my friend has not even had a parking ticket still getting back on the track its all to do with money :curse:
Lin