Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving licence and cars - what to do?

Driving licence and cars - what to do?

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence and cars - what to do?

It is law to have the details on your driving licence up to date. You can be fined for an incorrect address on there.

Once you move out of the UK your licence becomes invalid because you must be resident in the UK to hold a valid UK licence
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
It is law to have the details on your driving licence up to date. You can be fined for an incorrect address on there.

Once you move out of the UK your licence becomes invalid because you must be resident in the UK to hold a valid UK licence
If that was the case everyone driving in NZ on their UK licence would be driving illegally as your licence must be valid to convert it to an NZ one!

Show me your source of information where it says you must tell the DVLA that you are leaving the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to see this note about informing the DVLA as wel

Because when we made me move, I was told I only had to change the address on the UK licence if I would still be driving in the UK. As this was not the case, and I wouldn't be returning for a year, there was no requirement to do this

Once it's near renewal date, you just let the licence expire and use your NZ licence. Well, that's what i'd be doing if we ever return for a trip to Blighty
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

There's no need to yell at me, and if you don't believe me, then ignore me.

I have been back to the UK several times and car insurances won't insure me because my UK licence is void (because I don't live there any more).
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I have been back to the UK several times and car insurances won't insure me because my UK licence is void (because I don't live there any more).
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:57 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I informed DVLA Swansea that I was emigrating to NZ. They said I could not register my NZ address in the UK but I needed to inform NZ driving licence peeps of my new abode and the fact I would be driving on a UK licence. DVLA said they would note my UK absence on record for expiry purposes or return to the UK.
Considering I will not be needing a UK licence again then I need not have bothered.
So everyone is right.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M

Nobody is yelling at you but... you said that people must tell the DVLA when they leave the UK .. They don't!

What has going back to the UK and car insurances got to do with telling the DVLA you have left the UK?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

Thanks all for your advice!

We contacted the DVLA on the phone and got a definitive answer once and for all. No, you don't inform them you're going overseas. However when you apply for the NZ license, the NZ licensing authority informs the DVLA on your behalf.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 10:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger mama
Thanks all for your advice!

We contacted the DVLA on the phone and got a definitive answer once and for all. No, you don't inform them you're going overseas. However when you apply for the NZ license, the NZ licensing authority informs the DVLA on your behalf.

thats nice of nz licencing. thank you for finding that out saves me a phone call/stamp
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:36 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
thats nice of nz licencing. thank you for finding that out saves me a phone call/stamp
Nice one, that's useful, thanks