driving licence

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Default driving licence

I have read sumthin on here regarding driving licences but now can't find it,

Me my hubby and two young kids have been living in Nelson since February, I don't know many expats out here so have no-one to ask but this site.

How long are our licences valid for? Thanks for any who reply
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:02 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: driving licence

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
I have read sumthin on here regarding driving licences but now can't find it,

Me my hubby and two young kids have been living in Nelson since February, I don't know many expats out here so have no-one to ask but this site.

How long are our licences valid for? Thanks for any who reply
Do you mean your UK drivers licenses?

If so, you can continue to use them for up to 12 months from your date of arrival.

Then, (or any time before that) you will need to apply for a NZ Drivers License. I think it costs about $45 and you do not need to take any tests or anything, just apply.

You will need to take your UK license and a couple of other forms of Identity, (like your passport or utility bills) to your local AA shop and they'll do it all for you.

Hope this helps

Last edited by NakiMan; Dec 31st 2008 at 2:06 am.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:18 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Julie as above you just go to the AA and pay your money. Had to do a theory test when I did mine not that it was hard but!!!!! Anyway get it done before your year is up and take proof of I.D. You do have to do a simple eye check so if you wear glasses take them too. A NZ licence is valid for 10 years not like UK ones where you hold it til your 70. Oh and a NZ one has your photo on it, I know UK ones do now but they didn't when we left.

Last edited by SLH; Dec 31st 2008 at 2:22 am.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Jue.

Go to the AA in Nelson and sort this out.

It's an eye test and a scratch card theory test. It costs $$ of course.

You have been here now for nearly a year. You need to do this before the year is up. Take some ID.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:06 am
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice

I think since September you don't have to do a test other than the eye test.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:11 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Heal
Hope this helps.
Thats correct. The requirement to pass a theory test was removed from 1st September 2008, So just a simple eye test, which is done at the AA shop
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future

Hi,
I got a speeding ticket with a large fine:curse: but as I only have a UK licence can they give me points?
I was going to apply for the NZ licence but maybe I should leave it for a while?
Also noticed no white lines where the speed cameras are!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:49 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

As far as I am aware they can still give you points, they just sit waiting until you get your NZ licence. You can also be fined if you wait longer than your year to get a licence.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Vile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the rough

Does the 12-month limit apply only to residents? If I come to NZ as a tourist, and I use my UK license, does that mean that if I come back again 12 months later (as a tourist or resident) I wouldn't be able to use my UK license again, and I'd have to apply for the NZ one right away?

Last edited by Vile; Jan 2nd 2009 at 3:14 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:35 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vile
Does the 12-month limit apply only to residents? If I come to NZ as a tourist, and I use my UK license, does that mean that if I come back again 12 months later (as a tourist or resident) I wouldn't be able to use my UK license again, and I'd have to apply for the NZ one right away?
Its 12 months everytime you enter the country.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:35 am
Enjoying retirement

Originally Posted by Vile
Each visit to NZ counts as a different 12 month period

See

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

"Each time you visit New Zealand, you can drive for a further 12-month period on your overseas license or international driving permit."
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:41 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Heal
Hope this helps.
Hi you are spot on, no test is now required just the eye test as from September you still need to prove you have a phot drivers uk lincence and you will still need a pass port.

Just to let you know that if you have lost your UK holders Lincence you can no longer get a replacment if you have been away from the uk for over a year (or under hand you could give a family address and phone number just post back to forms to the family member let them forward on to DVLA) by the way I did not advise you that
Lin
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:54 am
Enjoying retirement

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Just to let you know that if you have lost your UK holders Lincence you can no longer get a replacment if you have been away from the uk for over a year (or under hand you could give a family address and phone number just post back to forms to the family member let them forward on to DVLA) by the way I did not advise you that
Lin
You're right, and this also applies to renewals as well as replacements. To get a UK drivers license, the DVLA requires that you must have a permanent UK address.

The moral of the story... DON'T loose your UK drivers license, and if you have (like I did !) get a replacement before you come to NZ.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Vile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: driving licence

Thanks for the information, nelsonpom and NakiMan!

That's about what I expected, but best to make sure.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SLH
As far as I am aware they can still give you points, they just sit waiting until you get your NZ licence. You can also be fined if you wait longer than your year to get a licence.
ny husband was told that if you havnt got your nz licence yet they dont go on it just a fine , he was told to wait the 12 months out incase this happened, but me being miss organised has my temp licence already, dont intend to get any points