Driving Licence

Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Dolly Daydream
What is a scratch card test? How do you take it?
When you go in to take the theory test, instead of pencil and paper test you are given something that looks like a big lottery scratch ticket. You look at the question and then you scratch off the choice which you feel is correct. If a tick appears, you are correct. If a cross appears, you are wrong. There are 35 questions. You are allowed to miss three. Any more than that you have to re-sit the test.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helinuk
Well done congratulations to daughter No 1.

I read somewhere that even though our 18 yr old daughter has just passed her test in UK, because she hasn't held the licence for 2 yrs she's got to take the practical as well as the theory test in NZ. Can anyone confirm that.
Just read this from

www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Does everyone sit the practical test?
No. Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand's. The law recognises that drivers from these countries usually have adequate driving skills, and they may not have to sit the practical driving test.

You don't have to sit the practical test if:

you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
your licence is current (or has expired within the past 12 months), and
you've held that licence for more than two years.

So she can drive straight away but may have to sit a practical within a year - I think!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
She can drive on her UK license for up to 1 year then will just have to convert with the scratch card test. We tried to get our daughter to pass in UK, but after 3 failed attempts she has had to do it here.

By the way Etty is looking forward to meeting and showing your daughter around, when you arrive!
Hi Liz
Our daughter took hers 4 times! When I read the NZ website it said if the driver hasn't been driving for 2 yrs they have to take NZ practical and theory test and only someone who has had a NZ licence for 2 yrs can sit with them. - after all the money it cost her and us in uk I 'm hoping she can just take the theory test.

sorry to OP this is OT
Re daughter: She's looking forward to meeting Etty! I noticed you mentioned Etty has a childcare qualification is she working in childcare locally?Helen
Old Sep 18th 2007, 3:02 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Immense thanks to 'Andrew Cross' for the on-line theory test link
I passed that part no problems - 100%
BUT I failed the eyesight test and have to go to my GP tomorrow to take a further test - so it all hangs in the balance now
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Immense thanks to 'Andrew Cross' for the on-line theory test link
I passed that part no problems - 100%
BUT I failed the eyesight test and have to go to my GP tomorrow to take a further test - so it all hangs in the balance now
Well done Karen!
Hope the eye test goes ok. why a GP and not an optician?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:35 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Karen!
Hope the eye test goes ok. why a GP and not an optician?
Thanks Helen
I had the choice to go to an opthalmist or my GP - I thought my GP may be more lenient, I was going to see him anyway, so may as well just pay once for both things! Probably cheaper than the opthalmist anyway! My retina has been detached for about 20 years, I learned to drive like that and manage most things pretty well. Can't see (ha ha, no pun intended!) what the fuss is about.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:29 am
conquering the world!

Done and dusted I am now the proud owner of a temporary New Zealand driving licence. The full one will be in the post shortly
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
These are the questions. You can do the test online which is what I did and passed with flying colours...

http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/licence/learn.php

Good luck
seems that this link isn't working anymore....

Even going to the sight and clicking the link throws up an error:-

Can't open file: 'tl_traffic.MYI' (errno: 145)

Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:59 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Well done congratulations to daughter No 1.

I read somewhere that even though our 18 yr old daughter has just passed her test in UK, because she hasn't held the licence for 2 yrs she's got to take the practical as well as the theory test in NZ. Can anyone confirm that.
Hi ya,

I currently work for the AA doing driver licensing, motor reg etc (Danny 200 buck fine for no wof you know) Based in repco Upper Hutt.

Your daughter can convert her uk license but she would probably end up with a Restricted licence or a full licence with a supervisor condition (has to have a holder of full Kiwi licence with her when she is driving) if she converts now, which means to get full licence she would need to do a practical drive test. however she could wait until she has held the uk licence for two years then convert it for Full kiwi licence. At present there are no penalties with Land transport NZ for not converting your licence within one year of being in the country.

Police and insurance may take a different view though - I don't know how either would react to being on a uk licence here for more than a year.

I have heard nothing about doing a straight swap UK licence for Kiwi licence with no testing. Currently nobody can do this, not even from Oz.

One new rule that may get rolled out across all europe is that now anyone converting a German Drivers licence has to Surrender their German licence as part of the Kiwi licence application process.

Here endith war and peace, any other questions.......?

Adie
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Done and dusted I am now the proud owner of a temporary New Zealand driving licence. The full one will be in the post shortly
cool - but ho no there go all our insurance premiums......bugger
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:55 am
Banned

themeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by julesnye
seems that this link isn't working anymore....

Even going to the sight and clicking the link throws up an error:-

Can't open file: 'tl_traffic.MYI' (errno: 145)

try here for a similar thing.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...ions-cars.html
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themeggies
cheers themeggies, I'll give it a go
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
Hi ya,

I currently work for the AA doing driver licensing, motor reg etc (Danny 200 buck fine for no wof you know) Based in repco Upper Hutt.

Your daughter can convert her uk license but she would probably end up with a Restricted licence or a full licence with a supervisor condition (has to have a holder of full Kiwi licence with her when she is driving) if she converts now, which means to get full licence she would need to do a practical drive test. however she could wait until she has held the uk licence for two years then convert it for Full kiwi licence. At present there are no penalties with Land transport NZ for not converting your licence within one year of being in the country.

Police and insurance may take a different view though - I don't know how either would react to being on a uk licence here for more than a year.

I have heard nothing about doing a straight swap UK licence for Kiwi licence with no testing. Currently nobody can do this, not even from Oz.

One new rule that may get rolled out across all europe is that now anyone converting a German Drivers licence has to Surrender their German licence as part of the Kiwi licence application process.

Here endith war and peace, any other questions.......?

Adie
Thanks Adie