Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driver Licence Classes

Driver Licence Classes

Old Apr 19th 2022, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driver Licence Classes

I started looking this up but ended up confused.
Driver Licence and Vehicle Type
If I read this correctly on a car licence with restrictions (1R) you can drive a vehicle up to 4500 kg or a motorhome of up to 6000 kg as long as the on road weight is less than 4500 kg.
Unrestricted car licence (1) you can drive anything up to 6000 kg.

This looks a lot better than a UK licence where you have to pass additional tests to drive anything over 3500 kg, including a medical if you are over 70.

However it seems to say that you need a Category 2 licence to tow a trailer.
Is this right?
If so, how many people have a Category 2 licence?

In the UK you need to pass an additional test to tow more than a 750 kg unbraked trailer (or have grandfathered rights).

Has anyone converted a UK licence to a NZ licence?
If so, how did the categories map across?

I've never had to consider it before, but gave up my C1 category at 70 because my eyesight was barely adequate for the more stringent test for driving heavier vehicles.
Fine for cars.
UK driving licence categories
I am now wondering if my UK licence maps to 1 or 1R for cars (which would still allow me to drive up to 4500 kg) or if I am restricted to UK weights.
Significant mainly if we want to hire a larger motor home (or perhaps buy then sell on) next time we manage to spend a few months in NZ.
Last time we were over there were some very interesting truck conversions which didn't seem massively expensive.

The positive part of all this is that we are hoping to be able to visit next Xmas - Covid willing.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver Licence Classes

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
I started looking this up but ended up confused.
Driver Licence and Vehicle Type
If I read this correctly on a car licence with restrictions (1R) you can drive a vehicle up to 4500 kg or a motorhome of up to 6000 kg as long as the on road weight is less than 4500 kg.
Unrestricted car licence (1) you can drive anything up to 6000 kg.

This looks a lot better than a UK licence where you have to pass additional tests to drive anything over 3500 kg, including a medical if you are over 70.

However it seems to say that you need a Category 2 licence to tow a trailer.
Is this right?
If so, how many people have a Category 2 licence?

In the UK you need to pass an additional test to tow more than a 750 kg unbraked trailer (or have grandfathered rights).

Has anyone converted a UK licence to a NZ licence?
If so, how did the categories map across?

I've never had to consider it before, but gave up my C1 category at 70 because my eyesight was barely adequate for the more stringent test for driving heavier vehicles.
Fine for cars.
UK driving licence categories
I am now wondering if my UK licence maps to 1 or 1R for cars (which would still allow me to drive up to 4500 kg) or if I am restricted to UK weights.
Significant mainly if we want to hire a larger motor home (or perhaps buy then sell on) next time we manage to spend a few months in NZ.
Last time we were over there were some very interesting truck conversions which didn't seem massively expensive.

The positive part of all this is that we are hoping to be able to visit next Xmas - Covid willing.
The class 3 and 5 is for trailers. 2 and 4 is rigids
need to look up the weight limits for each.

I got my class 5 and bridge engineering shite aswell lol
Old Apr 19th 2022, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

So does the average person who wants to hire a trailer from Bunnings to shift some gravel need a Class 3 or 5?
If so, do most people have one?
Old Apr 19th 2022, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
So does the average person who wants to hire a trailer from Bunnings to shift some gravel need a Class 3 or 5?
If so, do most people have one?
no The small trailers is similar to the old UK licence were u didn't need to have a Class B+E u just drive it on a car licence under the weights.

Also in the UK they have stopped the B+E test now aswell.

no cause it will be under the weight limit.
The class 2 is similar to 7.5 ton uk
The class 3 is similar to a 7.5 ton with trailer. UK
Class 4 is for open rigid licence
Class 5 is open licence with trailer
You would need to look at the exact weights as I can't remba off the top of my head.