Drinking laws

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Drinking laws

I've heard that Nz's drinking laws are draconian. Is this true?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drinking laws

Originally Posted by tottefan
Yes you are forced to play Tequila Speed Jenga every day of the year except on 4th of July when you are forced to play Jack Daniels Speed Jenga.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:49 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what YOU call draconian I guess. The legal drinking age is 18 Yep probably not the same as British Drinking age but it aint Britain either. What else would you consider draconian?? The fact that there are some 24 hour drinking places:scared:
Got to wonder how many people would find the drinking laws a consideration when planning on moving half way around the world
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

In most places there are bans on drinking alchol in public places. So, for example a lovely day at the beach and a BBQ - no wine I'm afraid or beer in most places - not all though. However, its not a problem as usually you are water skiing or boating etc and shouldn't be drinking alchol anyway. Pubs are just the same as at home - and clubs - although the clubbing scene is NOWHERE near what it is in Europe. In fact its positively awful. I am an ex-clubber from way back and have been out in a few places here now - all on North Island it has to be said, but just nothing to beat the Euro Dance Clubs - as yet! However - for most people who are totally not into that scene - no problems. There are nightclubs - and they are OK, just not the atmosphere or 'feel' that we have in Europe about them or the hyp and following. Went to a cool bar in K-Road in AKL, but still not like home. However I am getting way too old for all of that now so it doesn't bother me too much. Wine bars and pubs, as I said are all just the same - closing hours may even be abit later than home. Most resteraunts are BYO so makes it cheaper, so the only difference is drinkingin the street - which I HATE to see anyway so suits me just fine.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:40 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

It looks as though the drinking laws aren't much different from the UK, legal drinking age being 18 here too (or rather, age at which you can purchase alcohol legally). Opening hours don't seem terribly different either and I agree with Shellie on the drinking in public issue. I'm fed up of walking past the library around the corner and seeing the local drunks with their brown paper bags containing cans of Tennents Super and Special Brew. They're all harmless enough most of the time but I think that kids get a little intimidated and scared to go into the library.