British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Drinking Club! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/drinking-club-796153/)

Charismatic May 6th 2013 7:52 am

Drinking Club!

Like book club but without the intellectual pretense. Simple.

My point was McClelland's Islay Single Malt Whisky (Which is actually 5 year old Bowmore hiding under another label ;)) is on sale for $37.99 at The Mill. Not as refined as Tempest but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it to take the edge off the nippy weather :thumbsup:.

What are you enjoying? What bargains have you found recently?

MrsFychan May 6th 2013 10:21 am

Re: Drinking Club!

won't be able to contribute much to this thread as my taste are a little dull to say the least. give me a nice glass of fruity slightly sparkly white wine and I'm happy

Charismatic May 7th 2013 5:13 am

Asti spumante or Lindauer? :D

Actually I need to be a bit boring as well soon and find a nice port for winter. UK port is different though, I've never found something comparable here.

MrsFychan May 7th 2013 6:36 am

no idea I usually ask hubby what I like. my favourite at the moment is a Moscato and the picture is a kangaroo. thats as far as my knowledge of it goes

Charismatic May 7th 2013 7:47 am

Do you not yearn for something else? Everyone has favorites but I always feel a trip to the bottle shop is wasted if I don't return with some research. It's for science after all.

CarolineSwan Aug 29th 2013 1:28 am

MMMm a nice glass of chilled Stonleigh Sav Blanc, LOVE this wine. Though i only buy it on special, and yes I may stock up LOL.

Charismatic Aug 29th 2013 1:44 am

Mmm...I like wine. Well actually I'm not a great fan of wine but I like the direction it takes things.

Tom1983 Aug 29th 2013 3:41 am

Usually top up on the New World of Countdown offers. Generally buy Montana, Jacobs Creek, Wolf Blass or Hardys when on offer. $7.99 for a bottle of Wolf Blass cabaret sauvignon is a bargain!

Prices of whisky horrify me! I have been tempted to purchase from the whisky galore website recommended but the mouth can wait till November when family are bringing over 2 bottles of ardmore whisky that they purchased for a tenner. Aaah we can wait, I doubt i'll ever see Glenfiddich 16 year old on sale for anything under $60

I really have got into Speights since being here but nothing is better than taking advantage of Fresh Choices beer offers. $24.99 for 12 pure steinlager or $24.99 for 15 pure steinlager - hmmmm whoever thought of that, thank you for giving me 3 free bottles :)

Oh I also bought this caprihana brazilian drink for around $40 a few months back. It was ok but very sweet. The cocktail you make from it allows you to have a monthly sugar rush within one sip

marblep Sep 7th 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10693882)
Like book club but without the intellectual pretense. Simple.

My point was McClelland's Islay Single Malt Whisky (Which is actually 5 year old Bowmore hiding under another label ;)) is on sale for $37.99 at The Mill. Not as refined as Tempest but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it to take the edge off the nippy weather :thumbsup:.

What are you enjoying? What bargains have you found recently?

May I ressurect the Drinking Club Charismatic? Cheap Sauv for me. Husband has discovered a nice port. He keeps hiding it from me. No idea why ;)

MrsFychan Sep 7th 2013 10:08 am

a friend of ours had bought some fejoa vodka for us to try but bought round Jameson Whiskey instead which although nice was a bit disappointing as was looking forward to trying the vodka

mikelincs Sep 7th 2013 10:25 am

My favourite shop, when I lived there, was 'The Whisky Shop' in Lincoln (UK), it did sell some other drinks, mainly spirits, but had a stock of, maybe 200 diffferent whiskys, they were mainly single malts as well. The had on shelf stack of single malts, bottom shelf were priced £25 to 30 a bottle, and the higher shelf you looked at the higher the price, top shelf was usually in the region of £300- 400 a bottle, some of these were 120 proof as well. Always had to have a look in when passing, and sometimes bought a bottle, think my most expensive was £50.

Charismatic Oct 10th 2013 7:30 am

I've been giving whisky a rest and venturing out into other spirits. I had thought I lost my taste for rum after a particularly unfortunate encounter with a bottle of Coruba but recent experience has taught me that a fling with an exotic rum can be very rewarding. Whisky is still my prefered thinking/talking/listening drink though.

So recommend me a rum that will knock my socks off. Something bold, difficult to handle and full bodied.

marblep Oct 13th 2013 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10938221)
I've been giving whisky a rest and venturing out into other spirits. I had thought I lost my taste for rum after a particularly unfortunate encounter with a bottle of Coruba but recent experience has taught me that a fling with an exotic rum can be very rewarding. Whisky is still my prefered thinking/talking/listening drink though.

So recommend me a rum that will knock my socks off. Something bold, difficult to handle and full bodied.

Not my drink of choice,so I'll ask around. My husband is partial to a kicking rum - will get back to you.

j19fmm Oct 14th 2013 5:18 am

King Shag from New World....