Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driech Lanarkshire or NZ

Driech Lanarkshire or NZ

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driech Lanarkshire or NZ

being new to all this and having yet not been to NZ can I ask the question of all immigratants who are in NZ and arent happy with certain aspects of NZ life/culture/habits etc

What are you all doing to change / improve standards within new zealand other than contributing to the economy?

after all is that not part of the deal when NZ immigration grants visas is that they want immigrants to contribute and ulitmately make NZ a better and more successful country.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:34 pm
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

P.S. Did I forget to say, you can't beat New Zealand in the summer time. Loads of things to do, kids can have freedom without you worrying about them too much; fantastic fishing; beautiful beaches, barbecues and sporty stuff to scare the wits out of you if you're into that sort of thing. We have really loved travelling around NZ, great scenery and people are mostly laid back and very friendly. Choosing between dreich winter in Lanarkshire and summer in NZ, then of course it would have to be summer in NZ. Though right now on Kapiti the wet weather reminds me more of dreich Lanarkshire.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

The NZ education system hasn't done these people too much harm.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago005568.html
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about the weather on Kapiti - that thunderstorm yesterday lunchtime was something else...I've never heard thunder so loud with it echoing off the hills.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

I think the whole education thins is subjective, it would all depend what you want to get out of the education system, as we know the UK is wholly academic and pushed towards exam success, me personally I hated school and skipped it every chance I got, I hated sitting exams and still do to this day, IMO an exam is only a refection of a persons ability to remember stuff, whether or not they actually know what it means is up for debate.

I left school with nothing and I think for that I am doing pretty well for myself here.

Kiwi schools like to bring out what a person is good at and focus on that so not only the whole exam area.

But these are just my thoughts and I will likely get shot down in flames, but such is life
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I judge an education system by the end result and the reality is that Kiwi graduates are well respected and have no problem finding work anywhere in the world, in fact often in very senior positions.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:13 am
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey View Post
The NZ education system hasn't done these people too much harm.

http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago005568.html

The Universities are fine its the bit in the middle of the system that worries me. The High Schools / Colleges seem to be a bit hit and miss. We didn't want to have to move into a town suburb for the sake of a catchment area for one of the reputedly better ones, we could've stayed in the UK for that; or pay huge fees to go private & have the kids away all week boarding and us penny pinching. The other alternative was over two hours train travelling each day for them.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:45 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

what you say I reckon is no better or worse than a UK system as there to its very hit and miss.

the bit in the middle we have found to be really good compared to the bit in the middle we went through back in the UK.

I personaly think an education based mainly around facts and exam results leads to kids who have great brains but very little life skills for us its a mixture we want for ours and here they have found it.For others it will be all about the brains.

george
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

the education system sounds much like the uk
if you have loads of money you pay for a better school/education
if your kids go to bog standard school (mines go to one and bog is the right word) then with a bit of guidance from the parents, a bit of hard work from them and a bit of luck not mixing with wrong crowd they will be fine
j