British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dreamweaver In NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dreamweaver-nz-443832/)

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 9:56 am

Dreamweaver In NZ

Hi every one I am just starting a course in web design using the above mentioned software.
How much demand is there for this line of work and what would the wages be like.

Thanks in advance.

Paul:thumbsup:

Want2goNow Apr 25th 2007 9:36 pm

Re: Dreamweaver Web Design Software In NZ

Hi,

Does anybody know what I can expect to earn as a qualified web designer using the DREAMWEAVER software.:confused:

Jack The Lad Apr 25th 2007 10:01 pm

Re: Dreamweaver In NZ

Hey up again :)

I suspect, like anything, its going to be down to experience. You may have to take the first job that comes along, gain some experience and then look around to fulfill your dreams :)

What about going it alone. Is this an option?

simonmarkellis Apr 25th 2007 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4697410)

I suspect, like anything, its going to be down to experience. You may have to take the first job that comes along, gain some experience and then look around to fulfill your dreams :)

I think you need to sell yourself. By that i mean, find a website that's pretty crap and make it better then try and sell it back to the owner. But start small. You could end up the webmaster of a dozen site's if you ply your trade well enough.

Want2goNow Apr 25th 2007 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4697410)

Hi Jack The Lad,

Well flying solo would appeal be the best but it is a flight into the unknown.
In the UK I can charge (after finishing my course) around 750GBP per site with each site only taking a few days to finish......bang out 2-3 a week.:thumbup: .
So that is the going rate in the UK, If you could find out what it would be in the Wellington area I will buy you and OH lunch on arrival in NZ..:thumbsup:

Jack The Lad Apr 25th 2007 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4697455)
Hi Jack The Lad,

Well flying solo would appeal be the best but it is a flight into the unknown.
In the UK I can charge (after finishing my course) around 750GBP per site with each site only taking a few days to finish......bang out 2-3 a week.:thumbup: .

I know that after having our site built that maybe a little optomistic matey. We used THESE GUYS and if you click on their previous work you will see that they are pretty good.

If I were you I would work on a worst case scenario. A minimum until you get established.

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4697455)
So that is the going rate in the UK, If you could find out what it would be in the Wellington area I will buy you and OH lunch on arrival in NZ..:thumbsup:

Im not your man mate. Maybe someone else with exerience in this field can help.

Sorry to put a downer on things but I dont want the dream turning into something else. If you know where Im coming from :)

Spacecake799 Apr 26th 2007 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4676603)
Hi every one I am just starting a course in web design using the above mentioned software.
How much demand is there for this line of work and what would the wages be like.

Thanks in advance.

Paul:thumbsup:

Hi Paul,
I had a look at www.seek.co.nz for you, i put in web design as a key word, you'll see what jobs come up. I cant remember where you are in the whole immigration process but i would definately take the time to phone any of the jobs that look interesting and gage there response.
My OH found that really usefull. I can PM you with the names of the agencys he used if you like. What made you choose web design? You could always pick a course in something in IT thats more in demand. Let me know if i can help you further, although i dont know much about this area as my husband works in support.
Carole:D

trigod Apr 26th 2007 1:23 am

Hi,

I am a Graphic Designer and I have 3/4 years Dreamweaver experience but try not to sell it as one of my strongest skills due to the indepth nature of web design nowadays. What level course are you doing in Dreamweaver Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced? Are you going to be a web designer or a web developer (Two very different things) Are you going to be learning MYSql Database and secure site skills on this course?

I ask all these things because webdesigners are ten a penny at the moment and remember they can do work for any person/company anywhere in the world with a good connection, as I am for clients in the UK. The one thing that will stand a designer apart from anything is being able to do the full monty on a website and give a client ongoing support. What if you are asked to do something you dont have the skills to deal with? Do you say you cant do it? Blag it? Get someone else to help you? All valid things to think about.

In my opinion, you are going to have to get to grips with Dreamweaver extremely well, get experience and produce great work before a company will look at you unless you can get in to a junior position on peanuts and spend a couple of years developing your skills. Also can you use photoshop, Flash, etc etc, all things that enhance Dreamweaver sites?

Sorry it isnt exactly positive but unfortunately that is the reality of website design today.

Hope in some way this helps! ;)

southerner Apr 26th 2007 3:13 am

Try this guy who is a kiwi web designer now based in UK.

http://www.jackthelad.co.nz/

and he is not the same as our Jack.;) well, I don't think he is....:confused:

dreamfish Apr 26th 2007 8:35 am

i think u would do well to get to grips with java, .asp, .net - they are very popular in NZ - and you need to be intermediate to advanced... take a look at seek and see what jobs are being advertised to give you an idea.

best of luck!!

(hates dreamweaver, uses it reluctantly, still codes in notepad - how sad is that??!)

Want2goNow Apr 26th 2007 9:07 am

Well,

A big thank you to all your replies.
Big Karma to you all, now the serious side I decided on web design simply to boost my points score and also to find a way of letting the folks back home what we are/have been doing(a sort of personalized website).
However do you all think that web design would be a bad move and should I be going for a skill in IT?????????????????????????.
I am open to ideas on all aspects, at the end of the day I just want to live in NZ and getting this skill should help.
Of course I could get this skill but what says I have to work in that particular field I could do something completely diiferent.
Sorry if all the above sounds a bit confusing.

HELP HELP.:o

dreamfish Apr 26th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4699103)
Well,

A big thank you to all your replies.
Big Karma to you all, now the serious side I decided on web design simply to boost my points score and also to find a way of letting the folks back home what we are/have been doing(a sort of personalized website).
However do you all think that web design would be a bad move and should I be going for a skill in IT?????????????????????????.
I am open to ideas on all aspects, at the end of the day I just want to live in NZ and getting this skill should help.
Of course I could get this skill but what says I have to work in that particular field I could do something completely diiferent.
Sorry if all the above sounds a bit confusing.

HELP HELP.:o

the problem i see with a job in IT is that you need to be highly skilled to get a half decent wage.
i would go for some business analysis or project management type training (brush up on Gantt charts and Prince - all highly desirable and courses readily available in UK) - $75k plus
if you go over with it skills in networking, cabling, MS products - then you will end up in a standard support job with salaries btwn NZ$25 and 40K (nz dollars).
if you have any experience in SAP or other financial accounting products and you are able to support these (from an IT angle - design and implementation in a financial environment) you will also be very desirable and pick salaries of $60k to 90k plus.

hope thats been of some help!

soulflour Apr 26th 2007 10:51 am

Do you have a background in Design?

Sorry to be negative too, but web design isn't very well paid any more, now that there are so many peeps around that do it - and like a previous poster said those that do offer a full service and full support. Knowledge of Dreamweaver is really only the begining :(

Good luck with everything though!

SF

Want2goNow Apr 26th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by soulflour (Post 4699476)
Do you have a background in Design?

Sorry to be negative too, but web design isn't very well paid any more, now that there are so many peeps around that do it - and like a previous poster said those that do offer a full service and full support. Knowledge of Dreamweaver is really only the begining :(

Good luck with everything though!

SF

Hi soulflour,
No I do not have a background in design but just need the skill to get on the plane and then start looking whilst I am over there.

Cheers

Paul

Spacecake799 Apr 26th 2007 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4700117)
Hi soulflour,
No I do not have a background in design but just need the skill to get on the plane and then start looking whilst I am over there.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,
What do you do at the minute? I really think after speaking to OH and from what others have said you should'nt do that course. You definately should go for something more in demand and that does'nt require you to have so many elements to it. If your open to anything then why not do a course in plumbing as thats on the skills shortage. Good Luck
Carole:thumbsup: