Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

dreaming of england

dreaming of england

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:42 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dreaming of england

I agree
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:47 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

its like i said, maybe they dont want to here problems, as it might disturb their heads in the sand 'i've got to make it work here because i gave it the big one when coming & i probably came for the wrong reasons anyway & cant go back tothe UK even if i wanted to' attitude,
they're positive, we're not so positive, no-ones right, no-ones wrong, but the 'negatives' tend to be able to listen to the 'positives' without starting going off on one.
Insecure is right, my partner calls it 'small island mentality', they're all insecure & chips on their shoulder because secretly they know they're at the back end of the world & ono-one really gives a toss if they're nuclear free or not, the LOTR phenomenon has gone & they've no history.

Originally Posted by sky
Have you noticed how it's the kiwis on here that always resort to name calling makes me laugh when most of the ones on this board don't even live in NZ anymore. They are just proving what a blinkered, insecure lot they truly are when they start with the insults.
Their way or no way lol!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:49 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by homesick harry
its like i said, maybe they dont want to here problems, as it might disturb their heads in the sand 'i've got to make it work here because i gave it the big one when coming & i probably came for the wrong reasons anyway & cant go back tothe UK even if i wanted to' attitude,
they're positive, we're not so positive, no-ones right, no-ones wrong, but the 'negatives' tend to be able to listen to the 'positives' without starting going off on one.
Insecure is right, my partner calls it 'small island mentality', they're all insecure & chips on their shoulder because secretly they know they're at the back end of the world & ono-one really gives a toss if they're nuclear free or not, the LOTR phenomenon has gone & they've no history.
weve got king kong and narnia coverage on continuous loop to look forward to now for the next 6 months.....

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:52 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

yeah, but lets not celebrate xmas too much, might be seen as garish, or spending money, or laughing out loud, or enjoying things.

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
weve got king kong and narnia coverage on continuous loop to look forward to now for the next 6 months.....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I so miss in depth balanced quality reporting and world news.
Can't afford the crappy sky tv here though so have to wait for the late night news for my fix.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:59 pm
Banned

its a shame you cant afford sky, the sky news has an hour about every 3 hours, that is live from the UK sky news, its ace, familiar faces, balanced reporting & they have BBC news too, where the reporter doesnt smirk after some catastrophe, & they can say the word 'championships' instead of champs, & they call the english team 'the england team', instead of we or us & where the reporters can look straight at the camera instead of being cross eyed (what is that), & they dont look like they're dressed in the 1980's from the warehouse. If we didn't have sky, i swear i'd turn kiwi (not really, but you get my point, no wonder they call themselves one eyed)

Originally Posted by sky
I so miss in depth balanced quality reporting and world news.
Can't afford the crappy sky tv here though so have to wait for the late night news for my fix.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: dreaming of england

What am I going to do?
Me and my family have spent the best part of 18 months trying to get into NZ and now we have succeeded and are ready to fly over (20/12)we are having second thoughts, thanks mainly to the posts in this thread.
Please please please can anyone tell me;

How are we gonna manage with a tin roof?

Get a life - some of you moaning buggers are giving us Northerners a bad name!
I have travelled all over Europe and the world and this "pride and live for today attitude" people talk about......Didnt see much of it in Poland,Turkey,Belgium,France (btw, I think they have finally run out of cars to burn).

Thanks for the balanced points of view folks.

Now, must start looking at getting a fridge! FFS!!!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:10 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
What am I going to do?
Me and my family have spent the best part of 18 months trying to get into NZ and now we have succeeded and are ready to fly over (20/12)we are having second thoughts, thanks mainly to the posts in this thread.

I have travelled all over Europe and the world and this "pride and live for today attitude" people talk about......Didnt see much of it in Poland,Turkey,Belgium,France (btw, I think they have finally run out of cars to burn).

Don't you think British expats have travelled then?
Good luck with the F/F FFS!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:12 pm
Banned

if you're having 2nd thoughts because of this forum, you must be strong willed.
other people's opinions should never influence you in life on anything this big. Only you can succeed here, i'll be honest though, if you can come here & not moan about anything, then maybe you'll have found the secret the people on this thread obviously haven't, some of the things on here are emphasised for comedy value, but i'll be honest, they're pretty true.
I hope you love it here, i've said on one thread maybe you havent read that some of the best times of my life have been in NZ, but as for a modern real life, its very hard.
You've travelled all over europe & the world, what.....on holiday, good luck with real life in NZ, i think this forum can prepare you, i understand you not wanting to hear bad news, but its here, & thousands are living it, read somethign saying 195000 people left the uk last year for NZ, 110000 returned within 1 year, 60% of people cant all be wrong.
This forum is balanced by the way, where would we be with the 'NZ is great brigade', wait until you get here, the houses etc might be something you can get over, but i defy anyone to think that the media is balanced & that kiwis are an informed broad minded people.
I genuinely hope you love it, let us know how you feel come March

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
What am I going to do?

Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: dreaming of england

Originally Posted by sky
Don't you think British expats have travelled then?
Good luck with the F/F FFS!
Of course they have!
My 6 years travelling the globe in the navy did however take me to some VERY far flung places where,unbelievably, people coped with worse things than no insulation and tin roofs!(I do appreciate the gist of the thread tho!)
I am so excited....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
I agree that there is a real chip on the shoulder of some kiwis and it just makes them come across as very ignorant... this is one of the reasons we are moving back to the uk next year - i have an 8 week old son and the thought of him growing up with a kiwi accent, walking around barefoot, thinking Speights is the best beer in the world and generally doing the old "my house is huge compared to yours" thing that antipodeans do when then visit the UK fills me with terror...
Yep, best you take your son back to the Uk where he can grow up with a nice Nottingham, Brummy or Geordie or whatever accent, and he will have to wear shoes to avoid the dog shit and broken glass.
And what the first things we were asked in the Uk was where we lived, what school we sent our kids too and what we did for a living. may of well of just asked us how much we earned. My house is bigger than yours is alive and well in the UK too!
Not surprised you and the depressive Harry have no mates with that attitude towards your host country.
KAZ
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:17 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well the lot of you, whining, moaning people are P*****g me off.
Bugger off back to England with the lot of you, 3rd world country, babies dying. It's bullshit!
KAZ
oh get OVER it.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:18 pm
livewire

On second thoughts - keep posting Kazhen, we Brits like a good laugh

Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

i've got mates thanks, why dont all kiwis bring there kids back here & give them asthma from all the damp houses, or meningitis from the fact that you all live in each others pockets.
Why is it if NZ is so great that they're all leaving in droves, why is that.
As for people asking where you lived, Seatoun in Wellington has houses with rusty tin roofs priced at $500k +, if thats not because people are pretentious & want to say they live in a certain place i dont know what is.
Why dont you return here Kaz, you're a died in the wool kiwi, why are you overseas if NZ is so great ???
& as for accents, anyone over here right now, have they seen that ANZ advert for the 5 cent coins, where the little girl goes 'all the tiiiiiimmmmmmmme', lovely accent that, sounds like she's got something stuck up her nose.
The kids over here cant string together a coherent sentence.
All this BS about NZ lifestyle is superficial & skin deep, see past it & see the real world here.

Yep, best you take your son back to the Uk where he can grow up with a nice Nottingham, Brummy or Geordie or whatever accent, and he will have to wear shoes to avoid the dog shit and broken glass.
And what the first things we were asked in the Uk was where we lived, what school we sent our kids too and what we did for a living. may of well of just asked us how much we earned. My house is bigger than yours is alive and well in the UK too!
Not surprised you and the depressive Harry have no mates with that attitude towards your host country.
KAZ
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:24 pm
Banned

the first thing we were asked by everyone here is
'how long you here for' you know why, because even kiwis cant imagine people staying here forever.

KAZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.