Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The dream has just slipped away

The dream has just slipped away

Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Unhappy The dream has just slipped away

We have just had a call from our immigration consultants at the last minute. We were assured our PR visa would be here by the end of the week, saying that my degree transcript is not enough! As I studied for year 1 at a college, not UWE, they want a transcript of that year, as we cannot provide it (it was 1995, pre records) the College have no transcript, we have to go down the NZI ???? route. This means for us a 4 month wait, something that is not feasible for us in our particular circumstances. We and agreed a let on our home, but the condition was that we be out by July 8th, my husband is a retiring police officer, he needs to give his notice by the 8th June, otherwise, we will have to wait a further 12 months for his next leave date (some issue with gloucestershire Pension scheme) not being awkard, my 3 yearalmost4year old is due to be in school in September and we are being pressured by school to accept the place as they have a waiting list! I run my own company which I have just agreed to incorporate into another, so as of August, I have no job here. As we were assured of our visas, we have applied for a mortgage, we will now have to cancel this as we need PR status. The consultants are asking for further payment to secure a working temporary visa, or a further visa for them to check that my degree is good enough, we simply cannot afford to keep chasing the dream. we could of course pay the extra £1K, but this would ddiminishfrom our moving funds. Sorry to ramble, but the tears are flowing as I type, at a really low ebb, afew days ago, I was ppostingwith excitement asking advise about where to live, and from all of the lovely feedback, we reviewed our finances and started looking at was what was possible! Now, the black clouds are closing in. Not sure If I need a hug or a slap of reality
Sorry again to ramble, but sometimes it helps to put things down in writing,........ please be gentle with the slaps
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:08 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dream has just slipped away

Sorry to hear that

I can't remember all your details, sorry. Do you have a job offer?
If you do, you can apply by yourselves-saves the immigration agents fees. We can help you through it
Have a good cry, get it out of your system then see if there's anything that can be done
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Thank you, feeling, well crap right now. I have a job offer, but it is complicated. The original offer came from a company that went into administration, but a lady from that firm offered me a job with her new comany. It appears that the immigration authority are not accepting this as they are a new company. They want information that I cannot give. The answer from the consultants is to go for a temporary work visa, this is just not feasible for us, we really need to buy a home and set down roots, not rent for 2/3 years, our children are young, we feel that we wnat some stability for them. Westpac have offered us a serious mortgage, but only if we have a PR visa. If we stay where we are, we can get by, my husband will stay working, and I will work in my professional capacity as a QS and supplement this with a pub job! The whole dream was to move to NZ, utilitse our property and others that we own to pay the UK mortgage, something that we have been upfront about with Westpac and provided all information for, buy a property in NZ within a budget, if we really liked it, in 2 years sell our main home, realising enough to pay our mortgage off, (based on todays figures, anything else is a bonus!) I can go part time, husband is still looking after kids without a job, but a pension, may be sounding slightly spoilt to some, but still dissapointed that the dream is slipping away. we are really going for our 2 kids, 4 and 7. We do not want to go unless we are secure, sorry if that sounds stupid, just the way it is
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:43 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

who's saying the degree transcript is not enough. NZ House Officer or immigration advisor?
If immigration advisor I would take that with a pinch of salt. An Immigration advised hubby that he could not count his degree because it was not in the field he was working in, utter tosh we found out when we discussed with the people at NZ House. We also had problems with hubbies birth certificate whilst going through the ITA they just accepted a solicitors signature to say that he was who he said he was
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:47 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

what about the company in Wellington, could you contact them and see if they still need someone? No not your first choice but would get you here with a visa
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

\The company in Wellington were just fishing, they are talking to my new company about my services throught them on a part time basis,.......
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Don't give up yet, like MrsF says ring the immigration phone number and speak to them, they will give you the correct advice. Also a temporary visa is a visa, it will get you here and most likely when jobs are secured longer term visas can be applied for
We are here on a WTR which is still only a temp visa in 2 yrs we can apply for residence
Re buying we are going to rent for a yr or so, want to make sure we like the area and kids are happy in school before committing to buying, lots of ex pats do it this way, and most kiwi's rent, you can still be stable whilst renting. We are going through all this now and my 7 & 10 yr old think it is a great adventure � ����
Don't understand the waiting for a yr to retire, my OH has just retired and once you get to 30yrs surely you just have to give 30 days notice. I would check with federation re that.

Good luck with everything
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
who's saying the degree transcript is not enough. NZ House Officer or immigration advisor?
If immigration advisor I would take that with a pinch of salt. An Immigration advised hubby that he could not count his degree because it was not in the field he was working in, utter tosh we found out when we discussed with the people at NZ House. We also had problems with hubbies birth certificate whilst going through the ITA they just accepted a solicitors signature to say that he was who he said he was
Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got told by NZ House in London that I wouldn't be able to claim those points because my degree wasn't in the field I was working in (I.T).

When did you come over? Things might have changed I suppose? I would have jumped on the Skilled Migrant application if that was the case, instead of the WTR visa.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:31 pm

our ITA was approved Feb 2012.

Husband, also IT, has a degree from a recognised university, think he only got half the points he would of got if it was in IT.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got told by NZ House in London that I wouldn't be able to claim those points because my degree wasn't in the field I was working in (I.T).

When did you come over? Things might have changed I suppose? I would have jumped on the Skilled Migrant application if that was the case, instead of the WTR visa.
"What if my qualification is not relevant to my job offer?

Where ANZSCO indicates that the requirements for an occupation can be met with relevant work experience and/or on the job training then, as long as you can meet this requirement, you may claim points for the qualification which is not relevant to your offer of skilled employment.

The qualification, however, would still need to be recognised as per our list of qualifications exempt from assessment.

Example: The occupation of Brick Layer in ANZSCO indicates that at least three years of relevant work experience may substitute for a formal qualification.

The bricklayer may also have a recognised bachelor degree in English Literature (not relevant to his offer of employment as a bricklayer).

As long as the bricklayer can show satisfactory evidence of three years of work experience, then he or she can claim for the recognised Bachelor Degree.

This answer was last updated on 17 April, 2013."

taken from http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1047

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jun 6th 2013 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Our immigration advisor has told us that we are not able to speak to the immigration case officer direct as they don't take calls from individuals. We are being told that the IQA route will take us alot longer. They have charged us thousands, and quite frankley, not acted in the best interest of our visa. We were told that if transcripts were unavailable, then a letter would surfice if issued by the certifying university. I provided transcript for 2 years of the course, but as the first year was undertaken at a different, though affiliated college, no transcript exists! Suddenly, at this late stage, the consultants are saying that this is not enough and the immigration officer does not accept the letter.
Regarding my husband's pension, it is, according to him I may add, because he does not have 30 years in???????
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:47 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your immigration "advisor" is lying to you, basically. There is nothing stopping you from calling them directly.

Do you have any supporting evidence that an application has been even lodged?

I would call immigration immediately and ascertain what the situation is.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:09 am

aww Sue, didn't realise you had actually employed an advisor

we had a few problems with some of our documents and our CO was very helpful in helping us out, had a few problems with first marriage and not having wedding certificate just the divorce papers and she was happy just to take that. Problem with Philips birth certificate and she always seemed to have a solution that we could manage to complete.

As Catchafire says I would check my NZ house and see if you have a lodgement and who is dealing with it and speak directly to them.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=qssue;Regarding my husband's pension, it is, according to him I may add, because he does not have 30 years in???????[/QUOTE]

I have just left Devon and Cornwall at 21yrs, gave 1 mths notice and my pension freezes until I am 60
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moonie2011
I have just left Devon and Cornwall at 21yrs, gave 1 mths notice and my pension freezes until I am 60
Ah, that must be it then, he is 55 and we don't want the pension to be frozen until he is 60.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.