Dream come true

Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:45 am
Just Joined

chelles is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Dream come true

Hello everyone

I'm Michelle and myself and my partner are looking to move to New Zealand in the very near future. We have two young children and a small dog to bring with us too.
I'd love to hear the pro's and concs of moving to New Zealand or any gems of information.

I have applied for two jobs, one in Tauranga and the other in Whakatane. Any thoughts on which might be a better place to live?

We want beaches, outdoor pursuits, big garden?, good schools (eventually)! Sound reasonable?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Chelles
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dream come true

Hey Michelle - welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with either area so can't help you there I'm afraid.

As for the pro's and cons of moving to New Zealand the best thing would probably be to browse the discussions and just spend some time seeing what other people are (and have been) talking about.

If you follow my own conversation threads in particular you'll get a reasonable understanding of the emotional roller-coaster that myself and my family have been on over the past (just over) 12 months since arriving here.

New Zealand is not perfect. It's far from it. The journey you're about to embark upon is going to be one of love, laughs, tears, stress, frustration, worry, fear, excitement, exhilaration, inspiration, isolation, individualism and, if you ride it out long enough, satisfaction and contentment.

At least... that's how I recently summed up the last 12 months of our lives!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:49 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream come true

Hi good luck with your plans!
We spent some time in both areas earlier this year, both areas have access to wonderful beaches, Whakatane is about a 45 - 60 min drive from Tauranga (passing some fantastic beaches along the way!) Tauranga is a city (although small by UK standards) While Whakatane is a small town, which is less busy & where you can shop for all everyday needs, but you would find more choice (for clothes & shoes) in some of the shopping malls around Tauranga.
We found property prices (rental & purchase) to be about the same in both areas......however,both have lower priced areas, but you probably wouldn't want to live in these, get to know local real estate agents for advice on places to avoid & have a look on Trademe.co.nz for prices.
Whakatane rivals Nelson for hours of sun.....we often found it hot & sunny there having left a cooler, not so sunny Tauranga.
Can't comment on schools but sure there will be others around to give you some info etc.
Personally....I preferred Whakatane area, we rented at Ohope Beach (5 min drive from Whakatane) but I guess it all depends on which job you get and what time of year you arrive ....both areas are holiday areas, so in season, rental properties near the beaches are more expensive and it can be harder to find long term lets.
HTH
B x