Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dreadful Dilemma.......

Dreadful Dilemma.......

Old May 23rd 2005, 3:29 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dreadful Dilemma.......

Ive just posted this on the Oz forum as well as we just had some news today which has really thrown us both in a spin....... so my question to yo all is, what the hell do I do now?

Hi ...remember me from last year? We had our dreams of a new life in Adelaide quashed by losing 5 crucial points due to my husband's age. So we regrouped, took some time out and in March applied to New Zealand and have had our Invitation to Apply already . Meds booked for June. Then our agents called us this morning to say did we know about the forthcoming changes to the SIR Visa re the 10 bonus points for SA. OMG...so now I am in a HUGE dilemma. We are all geared up for Christchurch now and really excited about NZ and now a spanner is thrown in the works....... What do we do? Rememebr how devestated we were not to get our SIR visa..Ive never been so crushed in my life...and just when we had moved on ...this happens!! Id love some advice, good or bad, just tell me, what do we do???

Lucy
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:42 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreadful Dilemma.......

Originally Posted by lucyb
Ive just posted this on the Oz forum as well as we just had some news today which has really thrown us both in a spin....... so my question to yo all is, what the hell do I do now?

Hi ...remember me from last year? We had our dreams of a new life in Adelaide quashed by losing 5 crucial points due to my husband's age. So we regrouped, took some time out and in March applied to New Zealand and have had our Invitation to Apply already . Meds booked for June. Then our agents called us this morning to say did we know about the forthcoming changes to the SIR Visa re the 10 bonus points for SA. OMG...so now I am in a HUGE dilemma. We are all geared up for Christchurch now and really excited about NZ and now a spanner is thrown in the works....... What do we do? Rememebr how devestated we were not to get our SIR visa..Ive never been so crushed in my life...and just when we had moved on ...this happens!! Id love some advice, good or bad, just tell me, what do we do???

Lucy,
I can only help if you clear something up for me. What's SIR? And how does it affect you now? And exactly how old is your husband. Funny, My OH grew up in Adelaide and he wanted to go back there for a long time but he never took out residence so we'd have to re-apply. He's 52 so no chance and I don't have any skills that they need.

80s chick

Lucy
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:43 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy
Hmm....tricky! I don't know what the SIR visa is for SA (South Australia presumably) but I guess somewhere deep inside you you'll know the answer. Whatever the answer is I'd suggest sleeping on it at the very least. Write a list of pros and cons for each country. Discuss with husband his dreams and motivations.

Flip a coin - this may sound glib but if it comes up Oz and your dissapointed then you know it should be NZ and vice versa!

It'll sort itself out don't worry.
Biddy

Worst case scenario- have lots of and then write your choice on a piece of paper and look at it in the morning and see how you feel about your choice
Old May 23rd 2005, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Lucy
Hi Lucy,
That is a huge dilemma.
Could you go through with the medicals and get your police clearances. Then wait until July the 1st to see what changes DIMIA make. You can use the police clearances/medicals for whichever you choose to go for.
That's the practical side of course, but that's probably not what you are asking? Do you mean how will you decide which of two fabulous places you could move to? You need to follow your heart here I think. The process to emigrate is an emotional rollercoaster. We know because we are in a very similar situation to yourself! I think the thing to remember here is that the whole process takes a long time. It's only 5 odd weeks to the next visa rule change for Australia. At least then you'll know if there is a choice to be made?Good luck,
Mark
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Lucy,
That is a huge dilemma.
Could you go through with the medicals and get your police clearances. Then wait until July the 1st to see what changes DIMIA make. You can use the police clearances/medicals for whichever you choose to go for.
That's the practical side of course, but that's probably not what you are asking? Do you mean how will you decide which of two fabulous places you could move to? You need to follow your heart here I think. The process to emigrate is an emotional rollercoaster. We know because we are in a very similar situation to yourself! I think the thing to remember here is that the whole process takes a long time. It's only 5 odd weeks to the next visa rule change for Australia. At least then you'll know if there is a choice to be made?Good luck,
Mark
Hi Lucy B,

You are faced with two deliightful choices here aren't you. If you had originally planned to go to Adelaide ( and I can't Blame you ) then it must have been your first choice and Christchurch has come to you 'on the rebound' in a sense. Since it is relatively easy to go from Oz to NZ, then you could feasibly change to ChCh later if you feel Adelaide is not for you.

For my part I think I would prefer NZ because there is far more to see in a far smaller area (besides I spent so many years in Adelaide and going back would seem like a retrograde step for me - I have to go somewhere new). If you do decide on Adelaide I am sure you will not regret it.

Think on it in your own time and do what your heart tells you.

Regards
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:47 pm
enilorac

Lucy
Follow your heart Lucy my love and the rest will fall into place...

Old May 24th 2005, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Lucy
Based on what I have seen in NZ, people are getting their PR Visas relatively quickly. What are the job prospects like in Aus vs NZ? And also, will you need to re-apply from scratch if you go for Aus, ie wiat 12 months to get PR, have to pay fees again, are your Skill Assessments still valid etc.

NZ is a good option, you should know that you will have to wait 5 years to get Citizenship, and that as a NZ PR you cant live and work in Australia. If you are happy with a choice of NZ, you should probably go with that. Less stress about jumping through aussie hoops again, and you seem to say you will be happy in NZ.

Im sure youre getting loads of conflicting advise, good luck in your decision. Just dont second guess it down the track, go with what you feel is right and stick by it.

But you will feel gutted if you lose out agian....NZ is probalby less of a risk...

And its nice here too....