Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The dreaded question!!

The dreaded question!!

Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:23 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dreaded question!!

We're way better off than we would have been in the UK but I still wouldn't advise Auckland to someone who is moving here with a salary expectation for $65K, a family of four to support, no real equity or likelihood of a decent second income. Also the OP's spouse is a nurse, they don't need to be in Auckland.

Here are some other DHBs on the North Island that would offer a coastal lifestyle for the OP to contact:

http://www.bopdhb.govt.nz/ (Bay of Plenty)
http://www.hawkesbaydhb.govt.nz/ (Hawkes Bay)
http://www.waikatodhb.govt.nz/index.aspx (Waikato DHB, including Coromandel)
http://www.tdhb.org.nz/ (Taranaki DHB)
http://www.nhl.co.nz/ (Northland DHB)

Of course there's Wellington (but I think $65K would be a stretch there too) and East Cape/Gisborne area and a few others besides too. Even if they're not showing job adverts it's well worth contacting them to see what's coming up or what hasn't yet been advertised. Also, don't be seduced by relo packages ... a few thousand here or there now shouldn't be the motivation for one area over another, imo.

Of course, perhaps the OP is set on Auckland for some reason? I wouldn't mind living in Auckland but I'm not convinced we would live anywhere decent in our circumstances.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 11:45 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aliwales
Oh and I'll be on$65k before tax!!!! And still better off in Nz! Isn't that something ?!?!?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can I just say that the OP has not returned to either of the threads . Maybe his username put him off.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Can I just say that the OP has not returned to either of the threads . Maybe his username put him off.
He has pm'd me though so is still around...
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

blueballsuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I'm still alive, been busy with work. Lots of questions asked but sure where exactly I reply. Going to see a financial advisor on Tuesday to see what they suggest as we have 2 houses in Scotland that we rent but no point selling as they won't sell, maybe that's the pesimist in me. People asking why Auckland and if it has to be Auckland and answer to that is preferably yes as my wife has been in contact with someone their who can hopefully keep her in same type of job in nursing that she does here and loves. The name blueballs reflects the mood and temperature of the country we live, well I tell myself that anyway as it's my email that I set up when I was only 18
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Blueballsuk, we have took the chance and will be arriving on the 11th of November, we are a family of 4/5 and the OH has a starting salary of $67K. we are renting the house out in the UK because after even dropping the asking price by 25K we still had no interest. Its cost us in the region of 8k (with the dog still to ship)to make the move so we wont be arriving with any great nest egg, but i am confident that i will get a Job to help out. We are of the opinion if we dont do it now we will regret it and after all we still have the house and can come back. good luck and go for it.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:00 am
Just Joined

blueballsuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skybluestu
Blueballsuk, we have took the chance and will be arriving on the 11th of November, we are a family of 4/5 and the OH has a starting salary of $67K. we are renting the house out in the UK because after even dropping the asking price by 25K we still had no interest. Its cost us in the region of 8k (with the dog still to ship)to make the move so we wont be arriving with any great nest egg, but i am confident that i will get a Job to help out. We are of the opinion if we dont do it now we will regret it and after all we still have the house and can come back. good luck and go for it.
Thanks for that, starting to get a bit more hopeful. Not sure if I'm replying to you in the right bit as new to this site. Hopefully after the first year I will be able to gain some sort of employment, I work in a homeless hostel at the moment and I'm well paid in that but looks like I might just have to do anything I can if we need extra pennies.