Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The dreaded question!!

The dreaded question!!

Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future
Default Re: The dreaded question!!

Originally Posted by simonsi
Hey, he´s planning on that for a year then both working....and it depends what you want out of life. You still in Market Harborough? (I hail from Leicester)
Hi Simonsi - no doubt you are still up at a godly hour!

Yes, still in MH - moved here about 9 years ago having come back from Chatswood on the North Shore. Financially, it was the most sensible decision we have ever made.

Emigrating to NZ in 1998 set us back several years in finacial terms, although we have now recovered well. We absolutely loved living in NZ and perhaps once our net worth reaches £1m, we may return!!!

Question: How to do you make NZ$100,000?
Answer: Take £100,000 and emigrate to New Zealand!

Hope you and the family are enjoying life there. Best wishes.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:12 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The dreaded question!!

$65k after tax for 2 adults and two children? You'd struggle anywhere in NZ TBH. Could you live in a rural town and both pull about $65k? You wouldn't be rich but you could save a little and live the quiet life.

The IMF (2009) lists income per capita in New Zealand as being lower than Slovenia and Taiwan (but slightly higher than the Czech Republic). Please budget carefully, we don't wish expats living here who have to work all the time and not enjoy our beautiful country . Good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Could you live in a rural town and both pull about $65k? You wouldn't be rich but you could save a little and live the quiet life.
Wow! Mr Extravagant strikes!

Here is a ref to GDP data (and two other sources) Wiki IMF Per Capita Income your comparison of Slovenia and Czech Republic looks a little dated but NZ is 27th on the IMF list.

Now they aren't going to live on the average per capita income for NZ are they, so the proposed (and probably quite close figure for a nurse in Auckland) is approx US$50k according to XE.com so the proposed income is approx the average for No 6 on the list, Ireland. That looks better doesn't it???

Why have the OP use real world figures yet you quote pretty meaningless IMF averages??? Anyone living on twice the IMF average shouldn't have too band a time - try that in Luxembourg (No 1 on the list).

Last edited by simonsi; Oct 20th 2010 at 6:45 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:51 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not going to waste any time to debate this but to the original poster please research carefully as many costs as you can and budget carefully. Good luck and we hope you can join us soon .
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:49 am
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

A family of four in Auckland on 65K gross. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It would appear that N.Z. is too expensive even for Warner Brothers!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:59 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

For balance here's a family of four living on a nurse income in the region of what you are contemplating.

I would say, hand on heart, I'm so sorry but you you will really, really struggle in Auckland on that salary needing to pay rent or a mortgage. However, you could live a reasonable Kiwi life in other areas. A nurse doesn't have to go to Auckland. Rent anywhere half decent in NZ is going to be more than $300 and there are so many costs over and above those mentioned above.

What are you looking for in an area? Perhaps we can help suggest somewhere
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:25 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

some very unrealistic people on here. you need at least 100k to live well in NZ, if you dont you will just be another poor kiwi kicking around in a crap old car holidaying around bay of islands in a soggy tent for a week and shopping at pac n save!

I'd rather live in Leicester, and thats saying something!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:50 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
some very unrealistic people on here. you need at least 100k to live well in NZ, if you dont you will just be another poor kiwi kicking around in a crap old car holidaying around bay of islands in a soggy tent for a week and shopping at pac n save!

Wow so everybody who posts on here and can afford a computer and internet link and lives in NZ is on $100k......
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:39 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Wow so everybody who posts on here and can afford a computer and internet link and lives in NZ is on $100k......
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

That's OK then stay in Leicester.

Just out of curiosity have you lived in NZ? I don't but my family does and they are doing very well. They are doing a lot more there than they could ever have done in the UK. We have visited them 4 times up to now and they have made lots of friends from the UK who now live there & Kiwis both & bred and everyone appears to be very happy with their lot.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Oct 21st 2010 at 6:47 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I came from Leicester, as with all places (almost), its a mix of affluent, average and deprived but on the whole you are welcome to it.

I'l agree there are some unrealistic peeps here though, requiring $130k AFTER tax and only being able to live in a rural area - thats unrealistic.

Suggesting a nurse can just "decide" to move rural AND pull in $65k net AND have OH pull in the same on a whim - that's unrealistic.

...and the problem with Pac n' Save is??? You show off in Food Town or something???

Living on a budget means just that, if P&S is the cheapest option then that is it. If you are more concerned about appearances (in your own eyes it seems) then that will cause problems - and extra expense.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:52 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Aliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to all

Well having followed this thread I still think I'd rather live in a budget than on a budget in the uk! As long as there's enough money to put a roof over our heads and food in out tummys then hooray!!! as a nurse earning less here than I will in Nz I've reached the controversial decision that if I'm gonna work hard and still be broke I'd rather be broke in Nz!!! Money after all isn't everything.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Aliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to all

Oh and I'll be on$65k before tax!!!! And still better off in Nz! Isn't that something ?!?!?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:52 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Aliwales
Oh and I'll be on$65k before tax!!!! And still better off in Nz! Isn't that something ?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.