British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Downunder live (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/downunder-live-872117/)

andylong677 Feb 9th 2016 8:48 am

Downunder live

Hi,

The downunder live show is in Birmingham and London this month.

I was going to attend to get a feel of what's on offer there. Not looking to migrate for a few years yet but want to research as much as possible.

Anyone else been to these shows?

Thanks

escapedtonz Feb 9th 2016 9:46 am

Re: Downunder live

Originally Posted by andylong677 (Post 11861984)
Hi,

I was going to attend to get a feel of what's on offer there. Not looking to migrate for a few years yet but want to research as much as possible.

Thanks

Yeah we did a couple of those. Leeds and Manchester around 5/6 years ago. They're pretty much hard sell from the authorized immigration agents/consultants and pension transfer people etc. Usually there's a stand for Immigration and they put on a bit of a conference and a few videos and you can ask them questions. It's good for that if you want to ask them something directly. It's also good for getting contacts of removals companies and maybe new bank accounts and/or money transfer companies etc etc. The ones we attended were majority geared to Australia with only a tiny percentage for New Zealand and Canada. I'm glad we attended but in all honesty they weren't as good as we expected. We did sign up with an authorized immigration consultant at one show - a company called WokingIn who are based in Auckland. We knew our migration wouldn't be straightforward so employed them at the show to assist us with the skilled migrant category application and bagged a half pice deal, so for us it was worthwhile attending to get the deal.
I suppose the show answered a few questions for us. If you have kids, don't take them along so you can have a thorough look around. Talk to people. Ask questions. Have the free consultation. Just don't sign anything :eek:

mikelincs Feb 9th 2016 10:10 am

Hi,

Thanks

Never been but seen those sort of stands at holiday shows, all I can say is they are there to separate you from your money, and unless you have a complicated problem with migration do NOT sign up with anyone, but if you must, ensure they are MARA registered companies. Unregistered companies are only interested in parting you and your hard earned money. Immigration is expensive enough without paying extra to these companies.

MrsFychan Feb 9th 2016 5:49 pm

good for getting names of removal companies, pet carriers, bank accounts but google is free and you can do it without travelling whilst you sit at home with a cuppa. was a complete waste of time for us.

Justcol Feb 11th 2016 7:57 pm

Did one in Manchester 8 years ago, pretty much useless

Snap Shot Feb 12th 2016 4:26 am

We went to an expo which covered lots of destinations at Sandown Racecourse, Esher, Surrey. This was about 10 years ago before 'down under' became any sort of brand.

There was a presentation on New Zealand scheduled between the Canada and Australia presentations.

The rest, as others have said, was pretty much a trade fair for banks, recruiters, insurance companies, airlines, removal firms etc etc. With the people manning the stalls only to pleased to have scored a free, er, I mean, business trip to Britain.

The New Zealand presentation was pretty much pro-NZ bias i.e. Britain is the only country that puts it's school children in cages. That was a reference to the fences and lockable gates at most British schools. It basically carried on in that vain for 40 minutes.

However, a couple of things I learned from that presentation were:

1. Don't get rid of all your stuff thinking you will buy it all when you get to NZ. He knew of a couple who did that. Three years later, they were still getting over it.

2. New Zealand has really great coffee.

So, as others have said, pretty much useless.

Don't let that put you off going though !

No one presenting at the show is emigrating. Remember that. Similar scenario to an Estate Agent trying to sell you a house that they won't be living in or servicing the mortgage for.

Tom H Feb 12th 2016 5:57 am

Hi,

Thanks

If there's one thing about these, it's be wary of the migration agents there.

We started using a migration agent from one we went to, and told me I wouldn't get a skilled migrant visa despite scoring 210 points due to my degree.

Turned out to be a load of bettyswallocks. We wasted at least 3 months in our journey because of the lie they said. Had we gone with a company called fragomen or did it ourselves, we'd have been in our penultimate year now for the wait of the coolest passport. Oh and our eldest would be a legal kiwi. Plus we'd have saved ourselves around £500.00

Other than that, we set our bank account up there with ASB and the boss registered with the district health board there. They do have some positives.

MrsFychan Feb 12th 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11865237)
If there's one thing about these, it's be wary of the migration agents there.

We started using a migration agent from one we went to, and told me I wouldn't get a skilled migrant visa despite scoring 210 points due to my degree.

Turned out to be a load of bettyswallocks.

wonder if it was the same waste of space that told MrF he couldn't use his degree as it did not relate to his occupation. We called NZHouse and they confirmed he could just wouldn't get the same level of points for it.
needless to say we did not use an agent, just read everything and if we were stuck on anything came on here or called NZHouse and asked.

andylong677 Feb 12th 2016 8:31 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I will save my ticket money and stay at home.
Was not too keen on a journey to Sandown racecourse (which they refer to as London!) just to see the odd 1 or 2 things that are relevant. Found this site and its members very helpful, more than the show probably will be.
Might pop to one when I am closer to moving to get the bank accounts etc sorted out.

Thanks

Stephen Jones Feb 14th 2016 4:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks

These are better shows in my opinion as you have employers attending:

https://workingin-events.com/

Steve

andylong677 Feb 15th 2016 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 11867483)
These are better shows in my opinion as you have employers attending:

https://workingin-events.com/

Steve

Thanks Stephen. Might pop along to that one just to get a feel of the process of applying for a job. All seems very complicated thing to do all at once. Already had an employer saying that I would be shortlisted for an interview if I could get a visa, even though they are accredited and the visa relies on their job offer! Thats even with me not looking to go for a few years yet!

In addition, this one is actually in London, unlike the 'London' event with downunder live which isnt!!

Thanks

Tom H Feb 15th 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11865280)
wonder if it was the same waste of space that told MrF he couldn't use his degree as it did not relate to his occupation. We called NZHouse and they confirmed he could just wouldn't get the same level of points for it.
needless to say we did not use an agent, just read everything and if we were stuck on anything came on here or called NZHouse and asked.

Did you go to a company called working in? That's where the waste of space worked for us. I suppose our only saving grace for her time wasting was that my scheduled start date was the Monday before the earthquake in June.

andylong677 Feb 15th 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11867963)
Did you go to a company called working in? That's where the waste of space worked for us. I suppose our only saving grace for her time wasting was that my scheduled start date was the Monday before the earthquake in June.

Is that this company? Jobs in New Zealand | Immigration to New Zealand | Working In New Zealand

MrsFychan Feb 15th 2016 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11867963)

no, we went to an expo spoke to an immigration agent who we later found out gave us incorrect information, who set MrF up to go to a "work expo" in his particular field which was a waste of time as did not actually cover his occupation. All in all waste of time, money, effort but I suppose a good thing as it made us realise we could do the application ourselves through the help on here and by contacting the actual people that handle the applications directly.

BEVS Feb 15th 2016 8:10 pm

Can I just say, they are all the exact same thing . A group puts together a 'show' , 'expo' whatever you wish to call it. It is the same stands and services that ply their wares. Whichever country it is for, an Immy rep or two will be there. Immy agents will be there. Sometimes a country's state or area rep will be there
It is all the same stuff. It is all about selling you something.....anything.

Go for the day out. Collect the giveaways. Have passing chats with others there that are in the same head space you are . Keep your hands firmly in your pockets and away from signing anything. Don't give out your email or phone number to any stand & come away again.