British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Down Under Live Glasgow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/down-under-live-glasgow-787679/)

Synky Feb 17th 2013 12:25 pm

Down Under Live Glasgow

Currently in queue waiting to talk to some recruitment folk at Down Under Live Glasgow so I thought I would let you know what things are here if you were interested in going to one of these things.

Lots of stands for banks and removers. A pet travel one, free visa assessment by migration companies. A couple of companies that work with employers (not sure how much help they will be, we shall see). Lectures every half hour or so on money, moving, visas. They are quite helpful but I think are painting a bit of a rosy glow about the country. Though they are being brutally honest about the visa process.

A lot of queuing. And free pens. You are paying for the chance of a company to sell you stuff. Which is fine if you realise that. It cost £10 to get in if you buy online or £15 on the door. Kids are free but they are bored out of their minds so lad I didn't bring mine.

This expo is also for Canada and Oz so most people here for them.

I did think ScottishStacy might be here :)

scottishstacey Feb 17th 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Down Under Live Glasgow

Lol no I'm not there but been to my fair share! Might go to the working abroad.net one depending on the job list, it's in March.

Best of luck!

Dolph Feb 17th 2013 2:22 pm

I was there yesterday (Saturday), and felt that there just weren't enough advisers there. Unless you ticked every box straight away, they couldn't get you shifted quick enough to move on to the next person.

Not really an opportunity to try and discuss stuff or learn much. And yes, lots of free pens and bits of paper.

Was a bit miffed that they never mentioned that there would be a £6 car park fee too! Actually turned into quite an expensive visit for not much gain.

Synky Feb 17th 2013 2:48 pm

Yes I queued for an hour and got a 'sounds great you've done your homework we'll be in touch'.

Got an invite to a talk in April though for NZ emigration in April though which sounds more use so not a total waste. Glad only I paid to go, not DH as well!

Firestorm333 Feb 17th 2013 6:28 pm

i'll say what everybody else is probably thinking these so called advisors will just advise you to part with your hard earned money for advice which is freely available on this forum or on NZ immigration web site . IF you need advice post a question or look back thro previous posts . I only say this because it cost oh and myself £500 to learn this lesson . found my own job ,am just about to submit my own visa application , without any help from advisor . the only think they told me was ,you need to have a job offer.that was after i'd already paid .Still every dog has his day . So SAVE ur money if you have a question just ask , most people on here would only be to happy to help .....and no charge .....but all donations great fully received:thumbsup:

MrsFychan Feb 17th 2013 6:40 pm

we also went to an expo in London and got the banks, shippers, pet shipper stuff. then got an invite to see a consultant to discuss things. well that's what we thought, he wouldn't answer any of my questions re living day to day just wanted to see if we had enough points and low and behold we didn't but obviously for a fee he could try and sort something. He even told my husband that his degree could not be submitted on the application as it had no relevance to his career (wrong). he did get an invite to an IT expo which luckily I didn't attend as it was a complete waste of time. so 2 days and fares we won't get back.
We found the only people we needed to talk to were guys on here, guys in Immigration Office in London, now that was a train fare well spent and job agencies on NZ.

Synky Feb 17th 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm really just looking for some help getting a job with an accredited employer from these people. The visa forms don't look that bad so was planning on doing them myself.

BEVS Feb 17th 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Synky (Post 10551351)
Thanks for the advice. I'm really just looking for some help getting a job with an accredited employer from these people. The visa forms don't look that bad so was planning on doing them myself.

You can approach accredited employers yourself. It will be tedious work but just look through the listing.

Remind me. What do you do.

Tom1983 Feb 17th 2013 8:37 pm

Is this down under live expo a working in expedition?

If so, biggest waste of time ever. I spoke to someone from the Western Australia government and Victoria government when we went a few years back, both said I could get sponsorship from them, but then the working in immigration advisers say I couldn't because i'd fail the ACS test.

Noted that down and went back to WA and Vic about this. State sponsorship would have given me the opportunity as I had 4 years experience in the field. With job offer or state sponsorship, the skills test only requires 4 years experience - ACS confirmed this.

Stupidly I used working in to try and get the visa first. All hell came loose when the accreditation certificate expired. I couldn't come bla de blah. Left them after chucking 750 quid away and went with fragomen (who my company use). Would you like the skilled migrant or work to residence - you'll be accepted for both. Due to being required to get out there asap, went with the WTR visa. 2 months later - I was out

If offered a job, go with the visa company that the accreditation employers use if you want to go with one. Otherwise you're chucking your money away over silly things. I had to get 20 e-mails confirming my wife and I were in a stable relatinoship and were good for each other with working in. Fragomen laughed so much at that, didn't have any mention of that when applying for Sarah.

Synky Feb 18th 2013 6:30 am

Yes, approaching the companies directly is my plan B if I can't get someone to do it for me. Since I'm looking for a middle management type role I thought it would be best for them to squeeze their contacts first :)

Synky Feb 18th 2013 6:42 am

Also I'd like to add that the advice on here has been way better than any website or expo. Thanks, all!

Firestorm333 Feb 18th 2013 7:06 pm

whether your a middle manager or a bus driver , these advisors will do nothing for you until you pay and then any advice will be very limited . look on nz job sites register with them , ignore the visa bit at the end of all job adverts , just apply . just try and try again to get foot in door .... time is on ur side..... there are plenty of visa types . first hurdle to cross getin to talk to nz employer .. most do skype etc . keep ploddin . if you cast ur net wide enough you will succeed . without these con men who are only after your cash . they tell u want u want to here and rely on ur lack of knowledge of how the system works . everybody on here has gone thro it . and if i can keep someone from being ripped off i'll be well pleased . POST ur questions ....You@ll get the answers ........rant over ....GOOD LUCK;)

Sherlock Holmes Feb 18th 2013 11:19 pm

For what it's worth, each time this subject comes up in the Oz or Canada forums, the general consensus is that these things are a waste of time and money. :)