Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Down Loading British TV

Down Loading British TV

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Down Loading British TV

Originally Posted by turkeys
if I can ask a dumb question how do yo actually download the stuff to view??
I got a UK Nova account and downloaded BitTorrent 6.0.3 and downloaded a show to watch. Now...dumb question time....I click on the 'play' button near the top of the BitTorrent software and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:42 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the codecs you need?

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley

No, I never downloaded any codecs...I am pretty new at this stuff. Which one of these do I download...Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by clynnog
No, I never downloaded any codecs...I am pretty new at this stuff. Which one of these do I download...Thanks in advance.

Ok, do it the easy way, download this programe to
your desktop.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

close all other programs then double click on the
VLC exe to get it to load.
Go to your downloaded video, right click, then
from the open with, choose VLC .
VLC should play all video downloaded, including
Flash if you download from Youtube, google video
etc.
Read the help file.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Originally Posted by clynnog
I got a UK Nova account and downloaded BitTorrent 6.0.3 and downloaded a show to watch. Now...dumb question time....I click on the 'play' button near the top of the BitTorrent software and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
I just right click on the down load and click open folder containing and it opens the file, double click on it and it starts playing as mine would not play from the play button at the top
I think it is time to hook my PC up to my 52" LCD
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
I just right click on the down load and click open folder containing and it opens the file, double click on it and it starts playing as mine would not play from the play button at the top
I think it is time to hook my PC up to my 52" LCD
I just did that and it worked.....thanks a lot. No need to download anything more.

It did take a while to download a show that is just less than 10 minutes long...probably 10 minutes to download and I'm on cable internet...is that normal.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 2poor4this
For all things File sharing try HERE

I use newsgroups for all my downloads It's all explained in the site above.

To see some of the media to download try HERE

I'ts kept me up to date with allsorts and no subscription to sky as a bonus
Newsgroups sound good - but how on earth you you set one up? Do you downlaod a client and open router ports like you do with torrents?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
Newsgroups sound good - but how on earth you you set one up? Do you downlaod a client and open router ports like you do with torrents?
You need a news reader, I use Grabbit found HERE
Your internet provider will probably host some newsgroups, you'll need to find the settings, it will be somthing like NEWS.YOURISP.NET and your internet password.
Most ISP's dont host the eally good groups so you may want to pay for a premium server, this is usually a month by month thing with no contract, it depends what you want, you can find some premium server companies on the site I posted, HERE for instance.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 2poor4this
You need a news reader, I use Grabbit found HERE
Your internet provider will probably host some newsgroups, you'll need to find the settings, it will be somthing like NEWS.YOURISP.NET and your internet password.
Most ISP's dont host the eally good groups so you may want to pay for a premium server, this is usually a month by month thing with no contract, it depends what you want, you can find some premium server companies on the site I posted, HERE for instance.
Thanks - I have grabit now. I'm with Virgin Media so I'll try and find the settings for that. Not sure what my password would be though
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
Thanks - I have grabit now. I'm with Virgin Media so I'll try and find the settings for that. Not sure what my password would be though
Your password would probably be the same one you sign on to the internet with, the one you can't remember because it's saved in your internet settings or router and you never have to type it in anymore

in grabit enter the details in server properties, you should then be able to update the groups. The latest version of grabit allows you to search the groups or browse them, you might be better off browsing and seeing whats there if your using your ISP server, you can only do a few searches a day with the free version, all the stuff to download will be in the alt.binary groups
Good luck, it's easy when you know how
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

When I read this post I got all excited as I know that the new series of The Apprentice has just started in the UK and I NEED to watch, LOL

So I have downloaded the Torent thing (yes thats how technical I am, I call everything 'Things') and I have been on UK Nova and it took 45 minutes to download one episode. I got all excited and sat down to watch it....

I GOT SOUND AND NO BLOODY PICTURE:curse::curse::curse:

Gutted...can someone please tell me why it won't work??? My laptop plays DVD's and it quite a good one so I would have thought it should play. Do I need to download something else? I have tried everything stated about but can't get it work. Can someone give me a slow explanation.

Thank you
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

Hi i use rapidshare which is much faster than torrents and all the latest stuff is on :http://www.warez-bb.org/groupcp.php
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:48 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
When I read this post I got all excited as I know that the new series of The Apprentice has just started in the UK and I NEED to watch, LOL

So I have downloaded the Torent thing (yes thats how technical I am, I call everything 'Things') and I have been on UK Nova and it took 45 minutes to download one episode. I got all excited and sat down to watch it....

I GOT SOUND AND NO BLOODY PICTURE:curse::curse::curse:

Gutted...can someone please tell me why it won't work??? My laptop plays DVD's and it quite a good one so I would have thought it should play. Do I need to download something else? I have tried everything stated about but can't get it work. Can someone give me a slow explanation.

Thank you
You need codecs - see the links above. Codecs are compression and decompression thingies (see I'm a techie too).
The allow Media Player to be able to decode the file and play the contents properly.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Thank you Rob, I am useless I know...one more question, does it matter which one on that list that I download?

Thank you, I really appreciate it and I really want to watch the Apprentice!