British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Doughnuts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/doughnuts-911777/)

bearskin Apr 17th 2018 6:13 am

Doughnuts

Made it down south to Krispy Kreme with the kids as a holiday treat (as well as visiting the mega-fun park that is Rainbows End - seriously it's smaller than Dreamworld's carpark...).

Good doughnuts. Not sure if they are better than Dunkin Donuts though?
And certainly not as good as an Asda Jam-filled sugar coated 5-for-$1 bag-full doughnut.

Bo-Jangles Apr 18th 2018 12:10 pm

Re: Doughnuts

It's madness, I know we have a bit of a doughnut drought in NZ but I heard people were queuing there for two hours or more at the krispy Cream Drive thru.

I'd be prepared to pay big money and queue for an hour for a bag of Asda or Sainsbobs Jam doughnuts. :lol:

NYer Apr 18th 2018 12:52 pm

Once Krispy Kreme was a small company in Atlanta. Since they went national, they've gone down hill. The only perfect donuts I know of are in Rockland, Maine at a bakery called Willow. They also sell them fresh at their local Hannaford's.

simonsi Apr 18th 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12483084)
Rainbows End - seriously it's smaller than Dreamworld's carpark...).

Bring another 20M residents to NZ and you'll get a bigger theme park. Know which I'd prefer....

Justcol Apr 18th 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12484177)
I heard people were queuing there for two hours or more at the krispy Cream Drive thru.

I'm more excited about visiting the Gregg's drive thru in Manchester

Pom_Chch Apr 18th 2018 10:15 pm

Mmmmm Tesco doughnuts. I'm not as posh as you lot with your Sainsbury's variety! Krispy Kream aint all that. I find them too sweet and sickly :sick:

Bo-Jangles Apr 19th 2018 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12484529)
I'm more excited about visiting the Gregg's drive thru in Manchester

Oh yes they have good doughnuts too; I remember last time I went to the UK being ridiculously excited to find that Greggs now have outlets in Motorway Services on the M25.

Not nearly early as exciting as finding M&S Food shop in the arrival Hall at Heathrow, though. :lol:

thistlehollyberry Apr 19th 2018 3:18 am

Krispy Creme equivalent to dunking your face in a bowl of sugar.

Justcol Apr 19th 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry (Post 12484762)

Who cares, they taste good

inkedneonurse Apr 19th 2018 3:24 pm

I sneer at your KK doughnuts...mammas are far superior

bearskin Apr 19th 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12484724)
Not nearly early as exciting as finding M&S Food shop in the arrival Hall at Heathrow, though. :lol:

That would be a Welcome Home. Love a trip to M&S Food.

NYer Apr 20th 2018 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry (Post 12484762)

Um...that's because donuts are sugary. If you don't like sugar, I advise against eating donuts...

BEVS Apr 20th 2018 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by NYer (Post 12485794)
Um...that's because donuts are sugary. If you don't like sugar, I advise against eating donuts...

There are degrees of sugary.

Rete Apr 20th 2018 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12483084)
Made it down south to Krispy Kreme with the kids as a holiday treat (as well as visiting the mega-fun park that is Rainbows End - seriously it's smaller than Dreamworld's carpark...).

Good doughnuts. Not sure if they are better than Dunkin Donuts though?
And certainly not as good as an Asda Jam-filled sugar coated 5-for-$1 bag-full doughnut.

While they are light substance wise, they are the greasy donuts I've ever eaten. In Mississippi (USA) that is our only choice. No Dunkin Donuts here and I would kill for a coffee and Bavarian Crème from DD.

Rete Apr 20th 2018 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by NYer (Post 12485794)

Not all donuts are sugary. Cake donuts aren't. It is what filling is inserted and what coating is on top. A sprinkling of powder sugar is not too sweet.

Use to work in a bakery and on Sundays I filled the donuts and did the powdered sugar dusting. Nothing overly sweet with them.

Fully sugar glazed donuts rob you of the taste of the donut itself. :thumbdown: Krispy Kreme :thumbdown: