Double glazing!?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double glazing!?

We have bought a house with double hung sash windows (I think that is the technical description). We are seriously looking into getting them double glazed but after having a couple of conversations with companies I am a bit confused.

First company says can retrofit no problem but does say that old windows are old windows. Integrity of the windows is kept etc etc. Ball park figure is $15-20,000.

Second company does something completely different (although they can retrofit but do not recommend it) they put aluminium or fibreglass inside of the window. So the frame remains the same but the bit that you will slide up will be aluminium and the middle part of the window is aluminium. I have seen photos and you can tell. Same kind of ballpark figure.

The second guy was quite scathing of retrofit but this could just be his sale patter. He said retrofit in double hung windows won't work very well.

It is a lot of money to spend so we of course want to do the right thing and not waste money. Anyone have experience of fitting double glazing to timber frames? Is it really worth getting double glazing? I read a report done on the benefits and in Dunedin it apparently takes about 12 years to "pay off" the benefit is energy savings, but I am hoping we would see benefits in terms of being more comfortable especially during winter.

Any advice much appreciated!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Double glazing!?

Ooops sorry for the multiple threads! Not sure how I managed that.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 25th 2013 at 12:03 am. Reason: No worries. Sorted !
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:27 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Hi we used UPVC double glazing, a company based in Dunedin. Not sure if its one you have contacted. They are based on Strathallan Estate.

http://www.upvcwindows.co.nz/

We have cut our gas bill in half during winter months so it is a big saver to us. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Did you have entire window frame replaced though? I would prefer to keep the wooden frame. Will check them out though - thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:00 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Hi again, no we didn't have the whole window frame replaced. They left the surround in and replaced the inner framework/opener. You would never know they'd been, their work is so tidy. Hope that helps. I have attached a photo of one of our windows and hopefully you can see the original wood frame and then the inset UPVC golden oak window.

Double glazing!?-p1060899.jpg
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant, thanks. That is really helpful, I will give them a call and have a chat. Do you have any concerns about the lifespan of UPVC. Is that a frosted window - for bathroom I presume.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We paid the double glazing company, 'Warm Windows' $33,000 nz dollars to install replacement double glazed windows in all the windows in our house, this also included the front door, the back door and the three French doors.

Google, 'Warm Windows' they were excellent. Our wooden window frames needed to be replaced as did all the doors. You could ask Warm Windows about just replacing the glass.

I got a quote from our local glazing company which was the same money just for the glass ! It was individual panes of 'colonial' glass but I'm pleased with what we got from Warm Windows i.e. modern double glazing in the same, 'colonial' style but the cross pieces are on the inside of the double glazing, making cleaning the glass easier. Frosted privacy glass is installed where appropriate.

I got a quote for aluminium which was cheaper but aluminium will be cold in the winter. I didn't really understand what a 'thermal break' was however, I do understand double glazing !

It's UPVC, so, no painting - result. UPVC under the strong NZ sun ? Well, it's got a 15 year guarantee. Modern uPVC has moved on as well. Unfortunately double glazing, like central heating, is new fangled technology. So the typical, 'go with what you know' kiwi will just trot out the line regarding the NZ sun being to strong for uPVC.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 24th 2013 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

A cautionaty word.

A friend of mine very recently asked for a company to come around and quote for retro fit glazing and after extensive questioning find out the company did not make the double glazing units. The company bought them in from a different manufacturer and made a substantial profit on every window sold.
For one window, which required repairing, he was quoted $2000 to repair the frame, and then $5000 for the double glazing unit to be retrofit.

He then contacted a local joiner he had used in the past and asked for a quote.
The local joiner quoted $2500 all in for building a complete new window (this included the double glazing unit)

Also, if you are considering aluminium joinery beware that it 'sweats' as there is no termal break between the inside surface and outside surface. The joinery used here in NZ means that aluminium doors and windows will continue to have damp problems (crying windows) unless the supplier specifically states it has a thermal break installed inside the aluminium.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:59 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Brilliant, thanks. That is really helpful, I will give them a call and have a chat. Do you have any concerns about the lifespan of UPVC. Is that a frosted window - for bathroom I presume.

Thanks!
Hi yes it is a frosted window, its the toilet window. White has a longer guarantee than wood effect but in all honesty that didn't bother us, we just wanted a warm house with no drafty windows and doors. Simon at UPVC is very helpful and is a Brit. I have no concerns whatsoever, the brand is a German manufacturer and is UV strong for our climate. If you PM me you could come and have a look at ours if you wanted.

P.S We've also got gas central heating and love it to bits. Wouldn't be without it and its not that expensive to run but would cost around $18000 installed.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:00 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to 'flag up' that Warm Windows buy their 'profile' as the call it that's the uPVC from overseas then make the windows to the client specification. Is the glass for the double glazing made in NZ ? Dunno, I just know it works !

We've got heat pumps. We could have installed radiator central heating but our hot water system is not compatible with a hot water storage tank. There was no point reinventing the wheel so we got heat pumps. We've got a heating system that works, that will do me !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 24th 2013 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:02 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=cleverchap;10503869]A cautionaty word.

A friend of mine very recently asked for a company to come around and quote for retro fit glazing and after extensive questioning find out the company did not make the double glazing units. The company bought them in from a different manufacturer and made a substantial profit on every window sold.

The UPVC used by the company we used is brought in from Germany in lengths and then made into windows on site in Dunedin.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:04 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I would like to 'flag up' that Warm Windows buy their 'profile' as the call it that's the uPVC from overseas then make the windows to the client specification. Is the glass for the double glazing made in NZ ? Dunno, I just know it works !

We've got heat pumps. We could have installed radiator central heating but our hot water system is not compatible with a hot water storage tank. There was no point reinventing the wheel so we got heat pumps. We've got a heating system that works, that will do me !
The glass in ours was certainly made here in NZ. Like your's the profiles came from overseas and then made to client specification here.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thread, Thanks SLH.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:07 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

My mum had double-glazing put in to make me feel more at home here!! LOL bless her. She had the stuff with aluminium frames. As already commented, this 'sweats'. The glass is dry but the frames drip with water in winter and the curtains get mouldy really quick here in Auckland. I'm thinking pvc or wooden frames would be better.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmh
My mum had double-glazing put in to make me feel more at home here!! LOL bless her. She had the stuff with aluminium frames. As already commented, this 'sweats'. The glass is dry but the frames drip with water in winter and the curtains get mouldy really quick here in Auckland. I'm thinking pvc or wooden frames would be better.
Oh bless her indeed - what a nice mum. Seems the aluminium are not the way to go. Don't have quite enough in the pot to replace the entire wooden windows, so looks like uPVC might be the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.