British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dos and Dont's of Renting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dos-donts-renting-473703/)

julesnye Aug 13th 2007 11:12 am

Dos and Dont's of Renting

I know this has been covered in a number of threads, but thought it would be handy to draw a definitive list.

Can anyone help:confused:

lardyl Aug 13th 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Dos and Dont's of Renting

< all snipped>

oh yeah, this may be true or not but I have heard it from two unconnected sources:
If there are trainers tied by laces hanging over the nearby power/phone lines then this may indicate a drug house......??? :unsure: ???

cypherpunk Aug 13th 2007 12:20 pm

I think this Tenant's Checklist (PDF) covers most of it.

Know your rights and obligations by reading the Tenancy Services website and read up on current market rents here and here.

Significant differences from renting in the UK:
  • You're not allowed to change the locks (unless the landlord agrees). If you do it without permission the landlord can change them back and charge you for doing so.
  • No council tax and the landlord pays the rates. You will usually still have to pay for water etc. in areas that charge for water, check your tenancy agreement.
  • Fairly easy to access tenancy tribunal for dispute arbitration.

In the current climate I'd suggest getting a fixed-term tenancy for at least 6 months. If the property market does go south there will be a lot of landlords selling up and it's absolutely par for the course for them to get tenants in and serve them notice a few weeks later, just to fill a short gap before they sell. For non-fixed-term tenancies notice from the landlord can be as short as 42 days. Fixed-term tenancies can still allow for rental rate increases if it's in the agreement so read it carefully.

cypherpunk Aug 13th 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5183230)
oh yeah, this may be true or not but I have beard it from two unconnected sources:
If there are trainers tied by laces hanging over the nearby power/phone lines then this may indicate a drug house......??? :unsure: ???

Nah, urban legend mate. ;)

julesnye Aug 14th 2007 3:09 pm

many thanks for all this:thumbsup:

lardyl Aug 15th 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by cypherpunk (Post 5183244)
... In the current climate I'd suggest getting a fixed-term tenancy for at least 6 months. If the property market does go south there will be a lot of landlords selling up and it's absolutely par for the course for them to get tenants in and serve them notice a few weeks later, just to fill a short gap before they sell. For non-fixed-term tenancies notice from the landlord can be as short as 42 days. Fixed-term tenancies can still allow for rental rate increases if it's in the agreement so read it carefully.

that's useful information, thanks. MrsL was the source for the trainers thing, she's never right! LL

karonious Aug 15th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5191250)
that's useful information, thanks. MrsL was the source for the trainers thing, she's never right! LL

I was also told the same thing by two of my colleagues :unsure:

lardyl Aug 15th 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5191338)
I was also told the same thing by two of my colleagues :unsure:

wot her infamy has spread to the Waikato - amazing!!

karonious Aug 15th 2007 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5191515)
wot her infamy has spread to the Waikato - amazing!!

:rolleyes:

minky Aug 15th 2007 9:20 pm

If you get your rental from England check with the school you want your children to go to that the house is in the school zone.