Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do's and Don'ts please...

Do's and Don'ts please...

Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do's and Don'ts please...

Originally Posted by crap coffee

honestly I'd like to say, please don't move to Welly if you are not already here. or been here long time like myself.
Seriously though Earthquake is not a joke. (It IS very stressful) and NOwhere is safe in NZ.
If I were you, I woudn't do move to NZ at all. I will go to Oz. Tassie Hobart is better. No earthquakes No drought safe clean and beautiful enough.
and yes, I wouldn't move to Auckland no matter what. I'd rather live (or die with earthquakes ) in Welly if I have to live in NZ.
CC, if i could have qualified to go to Oz then i would have looked at it. To be honest we loved NZ when we ws there so it's there for me. I also look at Wellington and it did look nice.
I will take a trip to Oz one day and go from there. Thanks for the advice but i was really looking for Do's and Don'ts

There have been so good'erns so keep em coming guys..
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:28 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

I would say DO move to Wellington!! I love it here (been here 10 months), and find that it's a really good place to live - small compact city but with a great vibe! And it's easy to get to other areas of NZ - ferries to SI, drive to NI, flights to most destinations within NZ.

I think most of my other general do's and don't's have been covered by other posters.

DO:
join the library - books are really expensive here
accept every invitation out / to dinner / for a barbie when you first get here...even if you don't feel like it go along
talk to your neighbours - we were used to ignoring the neighbours in the UK and our best mates here are our nextdoor neighbours on one side, and we have really good relationships with about 5 other sets of neighbours too.
get a car as soon as you can....we had to wait a few months before getting one and they were tough months - the car has given us so much freedom

DON'T
expect the quality of housing to be like the UK
compare everything to the UK
buy anything for full price at Briscoes
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all..
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:34 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

One I had been meaning to add
When supermarket shopping check the prices-it is usually not the case that buying a larger quantity is cheaper. For example it is cheaper for me to buy 2x 100g teabags as opposed to 1 x200g teabags of the same make and type Such a waste of packaging
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You know, a sun protection top. What did we call them in the UK ... a sunsuit top?
We didn't call them anything in the UK. No need for them with that weather
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
We didn't call them anything in the UK. No need for them with that weather
Very true- we only had the odd one occasionally yet here in spring we all buy new ones because the previous year's will have been wrecked by so much use- pool, beach, river etc!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Do's and Don'ts please...

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
[*]Get a dog because you're homesick/ missing people. This decision may come back to bite you (haha) as having a dog in NZ is not as easy (unless you have a LSB) as in the UK.
What's an LSB?
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:14 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
What's an LSB?
Lifestyle Block or, more aptly perhaps, Life Sentence Block