Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do's and Don'ts please...

Do's and Don'ts please...

Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:20 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do's and Don'ts please...

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Do move to Auckland

Don't move to Wellington
Ha!

Do : Come

Don't : Go

Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Do move to Auckland

Don't move to Wellington
Don't become a Jafa
Do come support the Phoenix
Dó buy some noise cancelling headphones for the long haul flight, they cut that nasty noise out
Don't buy a Holden!
Do drink the stunningly good coffee
Don't forget to install Skype and make sure all the family and friends have in installed before you go
Do miss M&S, you are only human afterall
Don't worry, it is a lovely country to live in!
Do go shop in Briscoes, but Don't buy anything unless there is a sale on (which is 3 or 4 times in an average week!)
Don't expect everyone to come visit, it's a long way away
Do make sure you have time to explore this lovely wee country
Don't listen to any Aussies!
Do enjoy yourself
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Already been siad but don't buy a house until you can think in dollars without converting to £.
It took me about 2 years to start thinking in dollars and by that time we had spent a load of cash.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ones there guys! Really helpful.

The only one we can add is

Do: Give everything a chance.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Do

*be prepared to spend lots of time sitting at traffic lights. (boy they love um here!)
*use international phone cards to call home, bargain if your calling a landline.
*haggle when buying furniture. There are deals to be done
*Buy insect spray.
*Get to grips with trade me.....It's like a religion here
*Get the kids swiming lesson's
*Make use of the free BBQ's when planning days out.
*Allow more time for just about everything you do outside of your home....they love a natter here......if you have time its nice
*slap,slop,splash,and spray your sun lotion.....sun burn is the no fun!
*Buy a fan.
*Make friends with someone who owns a boat.
*VISIT QUEENSTOWN!

Don't

*Just shop at one supermarket, mix it up to save $'s.
*Expect Kiwi's to understand you just because you share the same language (and vice versa)
*Stick to just one beach, im sure you'll have a great selection so explore them
*Buy ice creams when your out.....It's simply to hot and it ends up down your arm......a small sacrafice....but wait till your home and have hokie pokie
*Attempt to ask for assistance in your local asian grocery store.....one word....pointless.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Some real good ones..
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:56 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookie2b
Do

*be prepared to spend lots of time sitting at traffic lights. (boy they love um here!).
.......only one set in Taupo, they make getting to nthe library easy!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Um trafiic lights never run the same sequence twice and where traffic is already congested on a busy road queing to get on the motorway umm lets add some more! (Northcote Road Auckland)
Most Auckland drivers now fall asleep while waiting for them to change so when they do it takes 5 mins to get the Holden started um! I think the Italians would get very irrate!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
.......only one set in Taupo, they make getting to nthe library easy!
Thats no fair!

Back in brum we had a fair few but we are trusted to make our own way across the junction when turning right.......rather than having to wait for a little arrow to come and go like a flash of lightning! Blink and you missed it!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Do move to Auckland

Don't move to Wellington
Couldn't agree more vital

Do buy sprays to kill the bloody cockroaches!!!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cookie2b
Thats no fair!

Back in brum we had a fair few but we are trusted to make our own way across the junction when turning right.......rather than having to wait for a little arrow to come and go like a flash of lightning! Blink and you missed it!
Must be different up North, around here the filters last for ages, IMO far to long.

I do agree there are a lot of traffic lights but around here they seem to be better at sensing where the traffic is flowing and adjust their cycles. Also the fact you can turn left at most set's of lights without waiting for green is brilliant
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MattandJax
Must be different up North, around here the filters last for ages, IMO far to long.

I do agree there are a lot of traffic lights but around here they seem to be better at sensing where the traffic is flowing and adjust their cycles. Also the fact you can turn left at most set's of lights without waiting for green is brilliant
The left turn at traffic lights is cool
Wouldn't mind being trusted to turn right though.....most ppl don't intentionally plough into oncoming traffic they wait for a gap instead you have to wait for them to go through the cycle.....AND i always arrive just as the arrw becomes red......I think there was this guy, his name was SOD and he made a few laws....I believe this to be one of them
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Couldn't agree more vital
I assume this is a Tui Ad, so the tagline must be, Yeah Right!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Don't move to Auckland

Do move to Wellywood

honestly I'd like to say, please don't move to Welly if you are not already here. or been here long time like myself.

Seriously though Earthquake is not a joke. (It IS very stressful) and NOwhere is safe in NZ.

If I were you, I woudn't do move to NZ at all. I will go to Oz. Tassie Hobart is better. No earthquakes No drought safe clean and beautiful enough.

and yes, I wouldn't move to Auckland no matter what. I'd rather live (or die with earthquakes ) in Welly if I have to live in NZ.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:01 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee

honestly I'd like to say, please don't move to Welly if you are not already here. or been here long time like myself.

Seriously though Earthquake is not a joke. (It IS very stressful) and NOwhere is safe in NZ.

If I were you, I woudn't do move to NZ at all. I will go to Oz. Tassie Hobart is better. No earthquakes No drought safe clean and beautiful enough.

and yes, I wouldn't move to Auckland no matter what. I'd rather live (or die with earthquakes ) in Welly if I have to live in NZ.
For goodness sake CC, with respect, WHY don't you just move yourself? I know several people who live in and enjoy Wellington- you just sound like a boring old moaner on here these days.

Plus, as usual, you're talking rubbish about Tasmania:

In Tasmania, a significant earthquake swarm (ranging up approx 6.9 Mw) was recorded in the late 1800s with the epicentre located east of Flinders Island near the edge of the continental shelf. These earthquakes caused damage to buildings at Launceston. From this evidence alone a large future earthquake must be regarded as possible, although the low seismicity and short duration baseline of instrumental monitoring makes it very difficult to determine likelihood.

There is a further line of evidence from the geological record that indicates large earthquakes have occurred in the past and are likely to occur again. The evidence lies principally in the Lake Edgar Fault, an active fault known to have moved multiple times during the Quaternary. Investigations have shown that the fault has moved at least three times between 60 000 and 17 000 years BP (before present) and with calculated magnitudes of 6.8-7.0 MW. The effect of an earthquake from this source on a population centre such as Hobart, 80 km away, has yet to be determined and is an open question. Ground rupture from this fault would impact on the Edgar Dam built over it and have other effects on the water storage lakes. Landslides will almost certainly occur. There are also other features in Tasmania that may be active faults and there could be unknown active faults offshore, all of which could possibly be reactivated.
From: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/pag..._schema=PORTAL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.