British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Dorset sheep shearer beats kwis at their own game. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dorset-sheep-shearer-beats-kwis-their-own-game-924234/)

BEVS Apr 16th 2019 10:58 pm

Dorset sheep shearer beats kwis at their own game.

OK. So how can I resist. Dorset is my home turf. You show 'em Henry. :thumbup:

Sheep-shearing Dorset farmer wins New Zealand contest

JaneRiley Apr 17th 2019 2:58 am

Re: Dorset sheep shearer beats kwis at their own game.

I couldn't get link to open but probably due to duff phone. I wanted to point out that it is NOT their own game! People have been shearing sheep elsewhere for donkeys years. Just as Cadburys is not kiwi either. I had to Google Bournville and Cadburys history to prove that to someone very recently, we nearly came to blows over creme eggs..

spouse of scouse Apr 17th 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by JaneRiley (Post 12672061)
I couldn't get link to open but probably due to duff phone. I wanted to point out that it is NOT their own game! People have been shearing sheep elsewhere for donkeys years. Just as Cadburys is not kiwi either. I had to Google Bournville and Cadburys history to prove that to someone very recently, we nearly came to blows over creme eggs..

I think 'at their own game' meant that the competition was the New Zealand Shearing Championships, held in New Zealand.

JaneRiley Apr 17th 2019 4:07 am

Yes, I realise that - I was just being flippant and, as I thought mistakenly, a bit amusing. So much gets lost in the ether when you write online doesn't it?! No facial expressions or tone of voice to help out.

spouse of scouse Apr 17th 2019 4:13 am

Originally Posted by JaneRiley (Post 12672068)
Yes, I realise that - I was just being flippant and, as I thought mistakenly, a bit amusing. So much gets lost in the ether when you write online doesn't it?! No facial expressions or tone of voice to help out.

Hey, I wasn't cross or anything, just offering an explanation. I'm the last one to want the Kiwis to claim shearing for their own, as the practice is obviously Australian ;) :lol:
I laughed at your creme eggs example, although I am a bit cross about creme eggs today because our local supermarket has run out of them and I wanted to get the Brit husband some for Easter.

JaneRiley Apr 17th 2019 4:25 am

Ka pai, I rest my case, haha. I need to get to New World pronto or I'll be eggless too.

spouse of scouse Apr 17th 2019 4:32 am

Originally Posted by JaneRiley (Post 12672073)
Ka pai, I rest my case, haha. I need to get to New World pronto or I'll be eggless too.

Good luck, hope there's some left :thumbsup:

BEVS Apr 17th 2019 6:25 am

Yup. By own game I meant their own competition on their own turf. :p

Obviously sheep shearing has been going on for centuries. Heck. I 'm from the South of England. I know about this and of the old practices well throughout the South West. How could I not. Shearing was a big event even in the middle ages.

Anyway. It was supposed to be light-hearted fun & not a need to poke to anyone from anywhere, in any way & certainly not to put down or be glib or dismissive of sheep shearing skills . Just fun. That's it.
That's coz the bloke is from my own home county & my home turf , winning in a place which is not my home turf but is where I now live & where sheep shearing comps happen. I didn't think it would need explaining in some way as most folk know I'm Bmth born and bred & live in semi rural NZ

I don't really get the chocolate thing in this. There again that's a Brum thing. More husband's area even though he is a YamYam.

carcajou Apr 17th 2019 7:40 am

Thank you BEVS, I am sure the vast majority of posters and readers knew and appreciated your point and post of this.

As big as shearing is in Australia, it is nowhere near as big as its heyday in the 1960s and 1970s. About 70 million or so in Australia today against 160 million+ (!) then.

A lot of Maori shearers come here to work, there are very large communities of them in the sheep-farming areas of country WA.