Reload this Page >

Don't like living in Nelson

Don't like living in Nelson

Old Mar 30th 2023, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

springbeeagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't like living in Nelson

Originally Posted by BEVS
Questiononneee - What would make a place less 'bland'. Nelson is a small city with a little bit of most things I suppose. Is it a small city life you think is bland and so a rural life seems more appealing?
Love nature & feeling of peace
BUT also want safety (bells ring)
Love quietude
BUT don't like lack of diversity or closed minded people
Love being away from ppl
BUT want access to good/ok school & medical

I am probably being unrealistic at this point though wondering if Whangarei could do it. Does the whole place have weather issues I wonder.
My DREAM is probably peaceful serenity near good.reasonable facilities and safe enough (crime etc)

My wish list is safe family community, peaceful lands with ability to grow own food, and good schools with access to reasonable medical + if I want to travel overseas, not too long to get to international airport.

Thanks for asking - that helps me seee my own thoughts on paper!
Old Mar 31st 2023, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springbeeagain
Love quietude
Love being away from ppl

I am probably being unrealistic at this point though wondering if Whangarei could do it. Does the whole place have weather issues I wonder.
My DREAM is probably peaceful serenity near good.reasonable facilities and safe enough (crime etc)

My wish list is safe family community, peaceful lands with ability to grow own food, and good schools with access to reasonable medical + if I want to travel overseas, not too long to get to international airport.

Sounds like there's only one thing for it
ROAD TRIP. . . . !!
Old Mar 31st 2023, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You can find all of this on the northern / north west regions of Auckland but affordability might be the showstopper. Places along the coast between Auckland and Whangarei are also pretty expensive, as they are the places where Aucklanders own their baches and holiday homes. That means they also tend to lack the community feel, with people not living and working in the area full time but are super busy over the summer holidays and long weekends.

If you have a spare couple of mill then it would be worth having a look at some of the rural places North West of Auckland: e.g. Kumeu Goldilocks There are school buses that take kids to schools on the North Shore.

This one might be a bit more affordable: Helensville

We have a similar dilemma, I would love to get out of Auckland into a small seaside town, but difficult to find somewhere that ticks many of the boxes on our wishlist. Hubby is nearing retirement, so would be looking for somewhere suitable for older folks that has medical facilities close to hand, a nice community feel, good public transport and / or some shops within walking distance from home, as well as being close enough to the airport. Not sure that such a place exists in NZ.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 31st 2023 at 8:29 am.
Old Mar 31st 2023, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Love quietude
Love being away from ppl

Whangarei does have a gang problem and some rough areas.
It is a major service town, though, with quite a lot of industry.

The hospital is one of those which ships difficult cases to North Auckland so questionable quality, allegedly.

We liked Onerahi which was much more like a UK seaside resort, and not over developed, but perhaps not having the larger lifestyle properties.
The hospital was one factor against the area.
Old Apr 1st 2023, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like central Otago would be perfect.
It's not all Queenstown prices.
Dunedin and Qtown airports are both within easy reach.
tons of space, lovely towns, lovely country, in fact, bloody spectacular country, vineyards lots of vineyards, great food, it's like being on holiday every day

I should be getting paid for this 😆

Old Apr 2nd 2023, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We have a similar dilemma, I would love to get out of Auckland into a small seaside town, but difficult to find somewhere that ticks many of the boxes on our wishlist. Hubby is nearing retirement, so would be looking for somewhere suitable for older folks that has medical facilities close to hand, a nice community feel, good public transport and / or some shops within walking distance from home, as well as being close enough to the airport. Not sure that such a place exists in NZ.
In and around Nelson area although it is a double hop to an international airport or a 5 hour drive.
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 12:43 am
`

L
Sounds like Tasman and Nelson would be a good fit.
Only issue is the hop to the international airports but that's more than doable.
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you have to be careful what you wish for.

Not that we get much opportunity to travel internationally, the thought of an extra leg of the journey or a five hour road trip would would mean we probably wouldn't ever travel again. We were once considering Napier as an alternative but the deciding factor was a big nope from me when our flight got cancelled and the only alternative on offer was a five hour bus journey.

Old Apr 2nd 2023, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Sounds like there's only one thing for it
ROAD TRIP. . . . !!
I AGREE! And it's a bummer though because we rushed the first one (we all got sick) and we were just like "OK LET"S JUST GO TO NELSON"

Re: Central Otago, yeah I hear you. Um.....I think maybe it's the alpine fault that I don't like - that said, I am now learning there are faults all over NZ!
Sometimes I look at the houses in CO and found there are no schools either so it gets hard to know where to look, so for now I'm leaning maybe NI, but who knows?! Look at where I am now - lol
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You can find all of this on the northern / north west regions of Auckland but affordability might be the showstopper. Places along the coast between Auckland and Whangarei are also pretty expensive, as they are the places where Aucklanders own their baches and holiday homes. That means they also tend to lack the community feel, with people not living and working in the area full time but are super busy over the summer holidays and long weekends.

If you have a spare couple of mill then it would be worth having a look at some of the rural places North West of Auckland: e.g. Kumeu Goldilocks There are school buses that take kids to schools on the North Shore.

This one might be a bit more affordable: Helensville

'
Yes your wishlist is mine too, and although Nelson has a local airport the thought of 2 well... I agree with BEVS it's not insurmountable, but for some reason....I dunno. Maybe going through a midlife

What are your thoughts on areas south of Auckland? I was looking at places IN South Auckland and they were good "value" but I guess it's because of gang issues?
Someone said 2 hours south of Auckand gets your peace and quiet and nice communities but then I'm far from the airport again.
This is when having a spare few million would help. The ~ 2M place you found for me (with thanks) is even out of my range unfortunately.

Thanks for what you share; so important and valuable to hear from someone on the ground. It took us....I'd say 9 months before we acclimatised/understood Nelson and Bays more - what areas etc. but I would wager that I'm a tad slow
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Whangarei does have a gang problem and some rough areas.
It is a major service town, though, with quite a lot of industry.

The hospital is one of those which ships difficult cases to North Auckland so questionable quality, allegedly.

We liked Onerahi which was much more like a UK seaside resort, and not over developed, but perhaps not having the larger lifestyle properties.
The hospital was one factor against the area.
Yeah I think of medical facilities too. Have heard Whangarei and gangs, but I am presuming maybe not the whole place....
Where we are (Nelson) it does have a hospital and we are lucky. That said, partner has a routine but serious test and it's taken over 6-8 weeks just to get in and we have to keep following up. But of course nowhere will be perfect. I still like the culture here overall (I think) and the beautiful green hills....
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Only issue is the hop to the international airports but that's more than doable.
I am aware!!!! But the heart is nudging to go someplace else. Partner thinks the hop to another airport is fine but for some reason I'd just prefer to be closer...maybe it won't happen, but I think we will do a road trip to settle the question, although it's a huge upheaval and pain in the ass.
Also our landlord is trying to increase our rent before he can, and the whole thing is just getting awkward and weird.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 4:12 am
`

Yeah I think of medical facilities too. Have heard Whangarei and gangs, but I am presuming maybe not the whole place....
Where we are (Nelson) it does have a hospital and we are lucky. That said, partner has a routine but serious test and it's taken over 6-8 weeks just to get in and we have to keep following up. But of course nowhere will be perfect. I still like the culture here overall (I think) and the beautiful green hills....
I can say that the Nelson DHB is considered one of the better ones for targets.

You should also maybe tiki tour more of the immediate area. Get out into the Mot valley - Riwaka - Hira etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

International flights.
We now always travel to the airport the previous day and stay at an hotel overnight because even 30 minutes away bad things can happen at short notice.
Just need one crash and you can't get to your flight.

So a feeder flight and an over night hotel should be fine.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can say that the Nelson DHB is considered one of the better ones for targets.

You should also maybe tiki tour more of the immediate area. Get out into the Mot valley - Riwaka - Hira etc.
I thought DHB's had gone now and become Te whatu ora under the great Maorification plan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.