British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Don't like living in Nelson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/dont-like-living-nelson-947562/)

springbeeagain Mar 28th 2023 4:09 am

Don't like living in Nelson

hi guys, we moved to NZ last year and moved straight to Nelson. I find it a bit bit bland and then slowly realised what we would prefer. I've been staring at TradeMe and Realestate.co.nz for ages and it's just really hard to find a place straight on the internet. We didn't do extensive travels of NZ before landing so my knowledge of places is still poor.
This is what we want - maybe it resonates with anyone re knowing where might be good, so we have a smaller base to search?
1. Preferably not in a major earthquake fault zone so thinking North Island??
2. Prefer budget under 1.2 or so
3. Lifestyle i.e we want 5000 sqm to grow vegetables and fruits and live more rurally and a decent family home for the kids
4. Good schooling and maybe with some diversity as well? Nelson seems to lack diversity - at least from what I've seen haha
5. Somewhere tranquil and safe
Is this just a really unrealistic list?
I don't know why I feel bored in Nelson. I think I want to be closer to a major airport so I can leave OR maybe it's because I miss more facilities or maybe I will never be happy anywhere?!

Thoughts or rumbles?. Thanks so much.

BEVS Mar 28th 2023 5:52 am

Re: Don't like living in Nelson

Originally Posted by springbeeagain (Post 13182604)
hi guys, we moved to NZ last year and moved straight to Nelson. I find it a bit bit bland and then slowly realised what we would prefer. I've been staring at TradeMe and Realestate.co.nz for ages and it's just really hard to find a place straight on the internet. We didn't do extensive travels of NZ before landing so my knowledge of places is still poor.
This is what we want - maybe it resonates with anyone re knowing where might be good, so we have a smaller base to search?
3. Lifestyle i.e we want 5000 sqm to grow vegetables and fruits and live more rurally and a decent family home for the kids
4. Good schooling and maybe with some diversity as well? Nelson seems to lack diversity - at least from what I've seen haha
I don't know why I feel bored in Nelson. I think I want to be closer to a major airport so I can leave OR maybe it's because I miss more facilities or maybe I will never be happy anywhere?!

I think it may be best to merge this thread with your other thread. Gives people a better handle.

You need to be thinking about more than just earthquakes these days . How about floods and slips? Climate change and weather. In any case , please do not think that the North Island isn't prone to a major quake. It certainly is.

No idea what you mean by diversity at the moment. What exactly do you mean? Range of nationalities?

If you want a rural acre with house then what is your budget? My thought would be a move south BUT you do mention a more major airport. That leaves just Welly, Auckland and Xch surrounds within xxx amount of drive hours.

Nelson and Tasman is fine enough but , yes, it is pretty much NZ. Not sure what extra you want from NZ to have it be less 'boring'. I know what that would be for me however that will not be the same for you.

Justcol Mar 28th 2023 8:02 am

Realistically, on the south island, there's only a quake threat from chch upwards, but if lack of quakes is high on your list then nowhere on the north island will suit. Lack taupo is the remnants of a super volcano and there is a still a lot of activity all around it. Just how safe do you want to be?

I dont think Nelson is your problem.

Moses2013 Mar 28th 2023 8:10 am

Sorry to hear, I do remember your post and you were more or less looking for a safe environment. If you've lived in Vancouver before and are trying to replicate that, you only have the 3 mentioned cities BEVS mentioned. It will be very hard to find the balance and those who want to live in a rural area usually like bland:unsure:, maybe the suburbs would be your thing. Of course in Wellington you have the wind, in Christchurch your worry will be earthquakes and Auckland maybe floods. I'm not allowed to say too much as I'm in Europe, but I suppose it is what it is when you're on an island (same for me, but mainland not that far).

BEVS Mar 28th 2023 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13182626)
Realistically, on the south island, there's only a quake threat from chch upwards.

That is what was said about Cch though. It waz the quake safe city. Bottom line. Reality. SI is all quake prone too. It is NZ.

BEVS Mar 28th 2023 8:18 am

I dont think Nelson is your problem.
I do not see a problem . It is a realisation perhaps. NZ is its own self all over. Same.

LittleGreyCat Mar 28th 2023 1:05 pm

Having recently finished an extended tour of NZ looking at housing, I think that you are late to the game.
The traditional NZ lifestyle block close to a big city and schools for under $1.2m isn't something that we saw.
In 2016 you would have been fine.
Up to lockdown you would have had a chance.
Now you would probably have to wait for the predicted (but not certain) house price crash before that kind of property was available at that kind of price.
Then again you may be relying on the equity from Nelson which may also be reduced.

Tranquil and safe?
Probably not Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch then.

At the moment I think that if your main requirement is your 5,000 sq m then you have to look well away from major cities because the wealth flows outwards, so any lifestyle block in commuting distance of a city will be a target for workers from the city.

As others have said, earthquakes are not the only problem you may face.
The Coromandel peninsular is lovely in parts but the risk of being cut off by slips is large.
The Bay of Plenty has seen serious flooding.
North of Auckland has taken a beating from the weather as well.
We stayed at a (smaller) lifestyle property in Marlborough area but the access from Picton and from Nelson direction was precarious.
Also, not much in the way of schooling although a nice tight knit community.

You should bear in mind medical facilities as well.
There are few really good hospitals, so you need to look at urgent access if required, and repeat visits for anything long term.
We were told that anything serious North of Auckland ended up being helicoptered to Auckland.
Nelson has a good hospital, if I remember correctly.
Christchurch and Dunedin are good (we stayed near Dunedin hospital and saw a constant stream of air ambulances).

Nelson was one of the better places on our list, although showing signs of going up market and expensive.

You might consider planning regular weekend trips around NZ to explore different areas and see how they feel.
Recommendations from other people can't reflect your emotional reactions to places and properties.

We liked Cambridge, but I think it is out of your price range for what you want.

We liked Invercargill (many don't) which is also affordable but the weather there can be pretty grim at times.
It was glorious weather while we were there so we may have got a biased view.

We stumbled on Paeroa just South of Thames and thought we had found a hidden gem.
Only to read an article the next day describing it as a hidden gem.
So hidden no longer.
However a month or so back it was nice, relatively affordable, with a gently hippy vibe.
Possibly near enough to you for a long weekend if you don't mind driving long distances.

Bermondsey George Mar 29th 2023 12:48 am

Personally I think that Nelson is a tad overrated. Yes there are some stunning beaches not too far away, but the town itself we found to be a bit drab and boring.

Earthquakes are just a part of New Zealand life and no part of New Zealand can be considered earthquake safe.

We live about 20 minutes from Christchurch and this district (Selwyn) has the lowest crime rate in the country.

From your wish list I would say move to somewhere either 40 minutes South or 40 minutes North of Christchurch as it may tick your boxes.

For example 40 minutes drive south of Christchurch airport (which now has A380's flying in and out again) is a great little rural town called Leeston.
This property is not to my personal taste but it certainly has the 5000 sq metres.
https://www.realestate.co.nz/4231431...s-lane-leeston

Then 35 minutes north of Christchurch is a Amberley, another great little town
Again not my personal taste but a fair bit of land and house for the money - https://www.realestate.co.nz/4224624...-road-amberley
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :thumbs_up:

Justcol Mar 29th 2023 6:14 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13182629)
I do not see a problem . It is a realisation perhaps. NZ is its own self all over. Same.

I meant maybe the issue isn't Nelson, it's NZ.
We've seen this so many times over the years. Next minute NZ is a terrible place and the op is heading home

I doubt there's anything that meets your needs down here. As for diversity, I'm afraid its white cis men or nothing. 😁 However, you get a lot more for your money
https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/r...4021085175.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/rural/auction-4021092174.htm

springbeeagain Mar 29th 2023 7:53 pm

Thank you so much for so many kind responses, especially BEVS Moses2013 LittleGreyCat (I have been following your adventures so thanks much for that summary!!! :) and wishing you all the best too), Bermondsey George and Justcol too for your last post!
It's realy cool and helpful just to hear what you guys have to say. I took a while to respond because I got the inference, maybe it's just NZ I won't like & that shocked me a little! I've taken down notes and am thinking I might have to just go travel again eeek and look around
BEVS I really apreciated you noting it's not a problem regardless, it's a realisation. I read threads before coming to NZ and heard of ppl not liking it but never thought that'd be me. I REALLY do like the culture of helpfulness (even if surface level it's enough) and friendliness (ditto to prior comment) and I find folks a bit warmer and more straightforward than in Canada which might be weird, but my experience.

Bermondsey George I hear Selwyn is very nice and also thanks for your kind wishes :)
LittleGreyCat once again thanks for a detailed write up -it's so helpful!

Sincere thanks ALL!!!

PS Wondering why no-one ever recommends Northland / Far North - it seems only north or south are "affordable" but then again Justcol has shown me some areas in Otago too with a good price. Anyway just a thought :)

Justcol Mar 29th 2023 9:00 pm

When I arrived in NZ 16 years ago, I struggled with the cultural change. I came from Manchester and was used to a huge cultural mix and enjoyed everything that came with that.
Arriving in Cambridge NZ, where it was just white kiwis and British expats took a while to adjust to. I tried living in Auckland but realized it wasn't the same when I saw a Muslim woman walking down queen street in full burka, and people were standing and pointing at her as she passed. Things have changed since then.
Point is, you've come from a far more culturally diverse place than NZ and it does take a wee while to adjust.
Nelson isn't a place I like, I always feel disappointed and underwhelmed when we visit there, so can understand the urge to be somewhere else. I much prefer a rural setting now. You can't beat the peace and seclusion of small town rural life.

BEVS Mar 29th 2023 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13182982)
Nelson isn't a place I like

We don't go into Nelson unless there is a need or a reason. Loathe Richmond . Prefer Motueka's vibe.

I know a few folks up around the Northland area. It suffers from 'weather' and can be cut off. A couple of decades back though it seems Bay of Islands was the place to be. Mind you there would be access to Auckland if that is what floats the boat.

BEVS Mar 29th 2023 11:50 pm

Questiononneee - What would make a place less 'bland'. Nelson is a small city with a little bit of most things I suppose. Is it a small city life you think is bland and so a rural life seems more appealing?

springbeeagain Mar 30th 2023 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 13182982)
When I arrived in NZ 16 years ago, I struggled with the cultural change. I came from Manchester and was used to a huge cultural mix and enjoyed everything that came with that.
Arriving in Cambridge NZ, where it was just white kiwis and British expats took a while to adjust to. I tried living in Auckland but realized it wasn't the same when I saw a Muslim woman walking down queen street in full burka, and people were standing and pointing at her as she passed. Things have changed since then.
Point is, you've come from a far more culturally diverse place than NZ and it does take a wee while to adjust.
Nelson isn't a place I like, I always feel disappointed and underwhelmed when we visit there, so can understand the urge to be somewhere else. I much prefer a rural setting now. You can't beat the peace and seclusion of small town rural life.

Thanks Justcol
To be honest I thought I wanted peace and seclusion too but for some reason I didn't know I would feel sad to be in a place where ... I don't know it was not so ... to be honest maybe I'm confused by what I want haha I want peace and seclusion, but I also want some diversity and access to facilities - and that comes with an expensive tag I can't afford.
I really like Otago too - I loved those links you sent because wow I never knew those places existed! We also have to think of schooling and then I go...."aw man maybe a place with good education"
IOW I'm all over the place, but these conversations help me so thanks regardless. I appreciate you sharing and agree it might be a continual adjustment for now! Even considering Whangarei...

springbeeagain Mar 30th 2023 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13183005)
We don't go into Nelson unless there is a need or a reason. Loathe Richmond . Prefer Motueka's vibe.

I know a few folks up around the Northland area. It suffers from 'weather' and can be cut off. A couple of decades back though it seems Bay of Islands was the place to be. Mind you there would be access to Auckland if that is what floats the boat.

Thank you as always for your kindness BEVS (are you this kind in real life. I see your posts and you are just always beautiful!)
Anyway, yes considered being close to Auckland so if I get desperate for facilities maybe there is more. And diversity. I looked at South Auckland stuff and it is cheap - even lifestyle properties!!! But I think / assume must be crime or why would they be so cheap.
Whangarei seems 90 min - 2 hours to Auckland and I was thinking of that East Coast........not sure not sure! :)