Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Re: Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

People thought we were nuts for paying £5k to bring our dogs and asked why we didn't get them rehomed and my response was: you wouldn't tell me to put my kids into care. I don't blame anyone who can't/won't bring their dogs, but for me, I got them as puppies, they'll be with us till they go to the great field in the sky to be with Dog.

We live near Porirua and yes there are some places you can't take them but we've found plenty of places where they can go off the lead. Tararua Country Park for example..brilliant place.

Getting a rental is more tricky, but some advertise no pets but will let you if you ask. So worth asking.

I don't think for a minute the trip was easy for them, but ours settled very quickly and are in better nick than they were in the UK. We have an more outdoorsy life, they are gundogs, they are happy.

They're my hairy bairns. We left the real one behind. I suspect he misses the dogs more than us...and suspect he'll join us sooner rather than later.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Wellyk9 will become famous soon enough

It annoys me slightly that those being practical consider themselves so far above the furry animals mentioned in another post. As a biologist you all need to remember we are all animals and some us have been lucky to evolve to be further up the chain. Just keep in mind that you can discuss your feelings due to your evolution those such as dogs or cats can't fight their own corner!!!!!

We are taking both our dogs with us and it is costing us half the move but they are part of our family and our home and our children will find it tricky to settle in anyway without the heartache of leaving their beloved pets behind.

It is true that you wouldn't leave a child behind just because it was going to cost you more to take them so why leave your pets behind. People did make a committment when they had them just as when they had a baby you can't just cast them aside because it doesn't fit in with your life anymore.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:12 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wellyk9
People did make a committment when they had them just as when they had a baby you can't just cast them aside because it doesn't fit in with your life anymore.
I consider myself an animal lover; lifetime vegetarian, done the vegan thing, supported PETA for years etc but there's no way I made the same commitment to my pets as my kids.

You can't cast them aside but you can carefully rehome them in them good conscience, imo.