Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Default Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

FREE TO A GOOD HOME: 6 year old child. Genuine reason, I've just got a new puppy so no longer have the time for the child. Also worried the child may bite the puppy. Child currently kept in a crate. Needs home by tomorrow or it'll be put to sleep. Thanks. YOU WOULDN'T DO THIS TO A CHILD SO WHY DO U SEE IT AS ACCEPTABLE TO DO IT TO A DOG? If you can't dedicate 10yrs+ to a dog, don't get one!!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Dump you Animals to Emmigrate

Half agree.

My dog was in a state after finally arriving, it must have been hell for him. Lost loads of weight, balance was terrible for weeks and he was nervous. So it's quite a thing to put a loved one through.

Finally got over it and a dog attacked him a week ago, told the authorities and they've removed that dog.

Justice for Ringo!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Eh?

Does this just apply to a child or also to husbands/wives.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:20 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Eh?

Does this just apply to a child or also to husbands/wives.

I agree with the OP, I never could have left my dogs behind but I'll have to leave Noddy and Cinnamon my doves.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:05 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
FREE TO A GOOD HOME: 6 year old child. Genuine reason, I've just got a new puppy so no longer have the time for the child. Also worried the child may bite the puppy. Child currently kept in a crate. Needs home by tomorrow or it'll be put to sleep. Thanks. YOU WOULDN'T DO THIS TO A CHILD SO WHY DO U SEE IT AS ACCEPTABLE TO DO IT TO A DOG? If you can't dedicate 10yrs+ to a dog, don't get one!!
You have to make the best decision for the dog, not for youself.

I have a beautiful dog, a labradoodle (see my profile pic). However, I KNOW he will not cope with the flight nor the weeks in quarantine as he needs constant human or canine company, and I know he will not cope with the heat in Adelaide. So, much as I would love to be able to bring him over with us, I am having to make the decision to sell him. I will not just be 'dumping' him. He will go to someone I know, who will have the right environment for him and who will love him. It is not an easy decision to make and I would certainly not have him put to sleep. I would imagine that most people who make the decision that I have, do so having thought long and hard about it.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:40 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

You're all mad - you need to be more practical.

Fact - when you arrive in NZ you'll most probably need to rent.
Fact - the options to rent somewhere with a dog in tow are extremely hard.
Fact - you are totally restricted as to where you can and can't go with a dog, not just during the summer but the winter too.
Fact - if you've got a nice dog then you'll easily find a new home for them in the uk.
Fact - it will cost you more to ship your dog over than the rest of the family combined.

We left ours - and I don't have an ounce of guilt.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:15 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

The problem (for lack of a better word), with dogs in particular is that they become very attached to a person or people which makes it harder to re-home them. I think the OP was trying to say that unless you are sure you can commit 100% to a dog during its lifetime you shouldn't get one. Of course life happens and we sometimes unfortunately have to make difficult decisions. I think most of us would agree that having a pet put to sleep or abandoned to a shelter simply because it has become inconvenient is wrong.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Dont fully agree with this.

When we left the UK 4 years ago we left behind my dog who was at the time 8 years old, the reason I had to leave her was upon the advise of the vet who said she would likely suffer the trip and may not survive.

After being here for 3 months she was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put to sleep, which devestated me as I blamed myself for it.

I do not believe people willy nilly rehome their dogs or put them to sleep to move to another country, if you dig deeper you will most likely find that there are mitigating reasons why they do this.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:54 am
AndyRuth

AndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really niceAndyRuth is just really nice

Originally Posted by P18PPS
You're all mad - you need to be more practical.

Fact - when you arrive in NZ you'll most probably need to rent.
Fact - the options to rent somewhere with a dog in tow are extremely hard.
Fact - you are totally restricted as to where you can and can't go with a dog, not just during the summer but the winter too.
Fact - if you've got a nice dog then you'll easily find a new home for them in the uk.
Fact - it will cost you more to ship your dog over than the rest of the family combined.

We left ours - and I don't have an ounce of guilt.
well said
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:46 pm
We're HERE!!!

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Dont fully agree with this.

After being here for 3 months she was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put to sleep, which devestated me as I blamed myself for it.
You shouldn't blame yourself, how could it possibly be your fault. Cancer is just one of those terrible things that can strike at any time and any age, regardless of anything.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I agree with the OP.

Moving overseas is a poor excuse for rehoming a "much loved family member" (a term which always seems to be included in the abandonment ad - so loved they are being left behind).

Also a few comments for some subsequent posts...

Adelaide is not too hot for a labradoodle. The main breeds that suffer from heat here are Brachy breeds because they cant cool themselves down properly. The average high for the year in Adelaide is 29 degrees. Not that hot.

The vet who said an 8 year old dog wouldn't survive the trip...was it a sickly dog with a poor heart? Because a healthy dog at 8 would have no problems with a flight. I brang my 12 year old dog to Oz (only from NZ granted) and it didn't kill her.

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry missed the cancer bit, that is awful and must have been very hard to swallow. Not oyur fault, though perhaps if youd known you may have waited a little longer...that to me, is the vets fault. I dont know how I missed that but just skimmed right over it so my above comment is only based on the first lone regarding the vet saying he wouldnt survive.

Renting in NZ with dogs is not that hard.

Yes the trip and the quarantine can be stressful but dogs are very resilient little buggers and once they know they are back with their family they get over the ordeal very quickly.

I left my 12 year old dog behind for 3 months and she became extremely depressed and only snapped out of it whn she was finally reunited with us. Sadly she was PTS 3 weeks after she arrived as while we were gone she had developed cancer (a nasty one that was not overly treatable) - we are just glad she made it to be with us for 3 weeks and if I had known she was not going to be around much longer, she would have been over here much sooner.

That is me though and I would never ever leave my furkids behind. I look at at my boy Barney (who also came over on the plane) and even though he is seriously the MOST ANNOYING dog to ever exist, I just couldnt be without him and I missed him very much when he wasnt here and constantly worried about him and Chevy.

Anyway, that is my thoughts, obviously people are different and sometimes there are valid reasons for rehoming a pet. I just think mostly the moving overseas one is not a good one. Why even look at moving overseas when you know it may mean leaving a loved one behind? Why not wait until the 10 year old dog has moved over the rainbow bridge instead of expecting them to settle into a new houseold in their old age instead of living with the family they have loved unconditionally all their life?

I get a bit het up about this topic, can ya tell? LMAO

Last edited by bananalana; Aug 10th 2011 at 1:04 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kija
You shouldn't blame yourself, how could it possibly be your fault. Cancer is just one of those terrible things that can strike at any time and any age, regardless of anything.

Absolutely agree with this despite my previous post. cancer isnt fussy, it attacks when and whereever it feels like it.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rasen78
You have to make the best decision for the dog, not for youself.

I have a beautiful dog, a labradoodle (see my profile pic). However, I KNOW he will not cope with the flight nor the weeks in quarantine as he needs constant human or canine company, and I know he will not cope with the heat in Adelaide. So, much as I would love to be able to bring him over with us, I am having to make the decision to sell him. I will not just be 'dumping' him. He will go to someone I know, who will have the right environment for him and who will love him. It is not an easy decision to make and I would certainly not have him put to sleep. I would imagine that most people who make the decision that I have, do so having thought long and hard about it.
Can I ask why you have chosen to sell your dog? Why not offer him free to a fantastic home that meets all the requirements?

He's not a second hand car.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:47 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I agree with the OP.

Also a few comments for some subsequent posts...

Adelaide is not too hot for a labradoodle. The main breeds that suffer from heat here are Brachy breeds because they cant cool themselves down properly. The average high for the year in Adelaide is 29 degrees. Not that hot.
In your opinion. However, you do not know my dog, nor the type of fur he has. Even with regular clips, he overheats quickly and will spend all day lying on a cold piece of concrete. 29oC average is MUCH warmer than the average in the UK. The warmth in the UK only lasts for a few short weeks (barely any this year), but is much longer even in Adelaide

Originally Posted by bananalana
Can I ask why you have chosen to sell your dog? Why not offer him free to a fantastic home that meets all the requirements?

He's not a second hand car.
Because if someone is willing to pay me money for him, why wouldn't I take it?

I do not have to justify my reason to anyone. I was explaining that these decisions are NOT black and white and that most people who do make this decision do not do so lightly.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:46 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that some of you would honestly not choose to move or postpone your move overseas based on a "furkid" (!?!).

There are some folks on this forum that agonise over whether or not to leave their teenagers (humans) - that is hard.... but not following your dreams because of a 4-legged hairy creature with bad breath.... sorry I don't get it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.