Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Domestic Goddessing 102 - redcurrants.

Domestic Goddessing 102 - redcurrants.

Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Domestic Goddessing 102 - redcurrants.

It's that time of year again. I have no desire to bathe in them or eat them from the currant bush.

What oh what will I do with them , other than to freeze and store them for years on end.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Domestic Goddessing 102 - redcurrants.

Originally Posted by BEVS
It's that time of year again. I have no desire to bathe in them or eat them from the currant bush.

What oh what will I do with them , other than to freeze and store them for years on end.
It's not so much the recipe as the ratio of fruit to alcohol - red-currant vodka, you could bottle it and give it away for Christmas with a ribbon tied around the neck of the bottle It's the perfect present, they won't have to dust it, hide it in the downstairs loo or find space to store it

I've purchased a lemon bush - just so I can make lemon vodka I plan to have a vodka/gin/brandy orchard when we finally get our lifestyle plot

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 13th 2011 at 8:25 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You could make redcurrant jelly to have with lamb, a la St Delia:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...ant-jelly.html

Looks eazy peazy enough too.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old dragon

I've purchased a lemon bush - just so I can make lemon vodka I plan to have a vodka/gin/brandy orchard when we finally get our lifestyle plot

Good luck with lemon bush, I'm really envious of folks with prolific lemons. I have, since being here, made at least five attempts to grow a lemon twig into something that resembles a bush. They never seem to survive past the first season with me before they expire, and at $15 to $20 a time to buy said twigs, I don't feel so inclined to try again.

I think the answer is to get some bloke to pee on it at the dead of night or something.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 5:35 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bo-Jangles;9785600]Good luck with lemon bush, I'm really envious of folks with prolific lemons. I have, since being here, made at least five attempts to grow a lemon twig into something that resembles a bush. They never seem to survive past the first season with me before they expire, and at $15 to $20 a time to buy said twigs, I don't feel so inclined to try again.

I think the answer is to get some bloke to pee on it at the dead of night or something. [/QUOTE

We have some wicked lemon trees and yes peeing on them was something I was told to do
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:28 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

[:[/QUOTE
We have some wicked lemon trees and yes peeing on them was something I was told to do [/QUOTE]

Are you sure it was lemon tree and not lava tree.......
Old Dec 13th 2011, 9:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup. The consensus is for a bloke to pee on the base of the lemon tree. Husband refuses though, as our tree is by the front gate.

There is a lot of redcurrants.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Redcurrant jelly - think it might even be the Delia recipe I used. Equal amounts sugar and currants - boil hard for 7 minutes - sieve into jars - refrigerate.

Next time you cook some lamb or venison - throw a couple or three tablespoons of jelly into the pan juices and make yourself a yummy gravy.