Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Domestic Goddessing 101(NZ)

Domestic Goddessing 101(NZ)

Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Domestic Goddessing 101(NZ)

Sometimes all the things you thought you knew about being a Domestic Goddess, just don't bloody work anymore in NZ and you have to retrain and re-qualify on some real basic stuff.

Storing a rich fruit cake for longevity, does anyone have any tips?

Our first year in NZ I made Ye Olde English style Christmas cake, I applied liberal amounts of alcohol, as you do, and then carefully wrapped the alcohol soaked cake in greaseproof paper and foil. I then left it for a few weeks to mature nicely in an airtight tin ...... or so I thought.

Fast forward to some weeks later, comes the big reveal and I found not the rich brown yummy smelling cake I was expecting, oh no, rather a gooey green, weeping, mouldy mess that had literally eaten through the tinfoil.

I should have thought about it a bit more I suppose, damp cake and warm humid weather clearly don't mix, so I never made one again...........until today that is.

So now what do I do? How should I store it, or perhaps we'll be eating approx six pounds of fruit cake this week.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

yorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the roughyorkylass is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Domestic Goddessing 101(NZ)

Just buy one
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I made one last year about 3 weeks in advance with zero probs but I suppose we are not as humid as you. It seems daft but I suppose you could keep it in the fridge or even freeze it?

I am buying one this year. It was delish last year though. I also drip fed the alcohol into it.

Was it truly an airtight tin? Is there such a thing? I would go for tupperware type stuff to be sure it is airtight.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkylass
Just buy one
The ones in the supermarket are really good value actually (Ernest Adams etc) but have weird spice combinations I find. Better than nixt though.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I had thought also about the freezer but there's no room in there for a slice of cake let alone a whole one.

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Was it truly an airtight tin? Is there such a thing? I would go for tupperware type stuff to be sure it is airtight.
Sorry when I said tin, I didn't mean a tin, tin!! It would have been Tupperware - I wondered whether it might have contributed to the problem being too sweaty.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Fridge in a tupperware then I would say.
Hey what would Delia do?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

If you Google it for NZ it appears the common method is airtight container & fridge.
We have a home-made Christmas Pud in the fridge sent from UK by the MIL 2 months ago....will let you know how we get on
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The ones in the supermarket are really good value actually (Ernest Adams etc) but have weird spice combinations I find. Better than nixt though.

Which reminds me off topic sorry, an Ernest Adams Cake that I completely forgot about in our larder for several weeks I was afraid to unwrap in case it was crawling with maggots or summat, but hey no, not a mark on it! Just looked the same as the day I bought it. Wonder what they put in that to make it look the same for that long a time, needless to say it was binned and not eaten. How much preservatives and worse still what chemicals might have been in it. I haven't bought one since!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shirl
Which reminds me off topic sorry, an Ernest Adams Cake that I completely forgot about in our larder for several weeks I was afraid to unwrap in case it was crawling with maggots or summat, but hey no, not a mark on it! Just looked the same as the day I bought it. Wonder what they put in that to make it look the same for that long a time, needless to say it was binned and not eaten. How much preservatives and worse still what chemicals might have been in it. I haven't bought one since!
LOL I just spent a fortune on 2 posh ones in Moore Wilsons. One with almond and icing and one just fruit(Thornalley). The almond one (word of mouth catering) is supposed to keep till May 2012. I don't think it is humid enough in my kitchen to need to keep it in the fridge so I'll risk it and just go with tupperware.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mickey_d
If you Google it for NZ it appears the common method is airtight container & fridge.
We have a home-made Christmas Pud in the fridge sent from UK by the MIL 2 months ago....will let you know how we get on
Crikey, I have heard of some things coming across border control but a homemade Christmas pudding is a first? Lovely!! I reckon you could hide a multitude of things in there.

Thanks for the cake tips, it's sitting on the pantry floor at the moment, I expect fridhge will be the best way to go until I come to ice it. I just have to get my head around the idea of cake in the fridge.

Next question - ground almonds for marzipan, anyone know where from in sizeable quantities? I looked in New World and they only have piddly 70g bags for $2.91 and I have a rather substantial slab of cake to cover.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Crikey, I have heard of some things coming across border control but a homemade Christmas pudding is a first? Lovely!! I reckon you could hide a multitude of things in there.

Thanks for the cake tips, it's sitting on the pantry floor at the moment, I expect fridhge will be the best way to go until I come to ice it. I just have to get my head around the idea of cake in the fridge.

Next question - ground almonds for marzipan, anyone know where from in sizeable quantities? I looked in New World and they only have piddly 70g bags for $2.91 and I have a rather substantial slab of cake to cover.
Try Binn Inn do they have one near you, I am sure they would sell stuff like that, you basically buy stuff like that and I think you can take your own container to put it in. Has to be cheaper methinks.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Bin Inn, there is the one at Brown's Bay. Are you on the Shore?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Bin Inn, there is the one at Brown's Bay. Are you on the Shore?
Yeah, I guess I could go there at a push but I find that such a manky old shop!!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, we get one every year, clearly labelled on the parcel, never had a problem yet in 6 years.
P.S. I hate it!!!! Love cake though
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I've tried to find a good ground almond shop and can't. Agree about those bin places. Don't fancy them myself. I just buy lots of those small packets. About four does my usual cakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.