The dollar again.

Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dollar again.

Yes I'm waiting for it to rise again but I can afford to wait it out. Having changed half my savings at 2.85 in March, I have seen the rate drop since then and have no intention of changing any until it goes up again. Didn't change them all as they were tied up in a term account. I'm hoping the rates will go up before I need the cash [plans are afoot for next year!] and surely it can't stay this low for another 7-8m???
I used Halo to change my funds and found them very good. Just checked my emails one day to find that the Dollars had been bought and I had to then pay for them! You say what amount you want transferring and at which rate and it is done automatically once that rate is reached. The exchange rates are generally higher than banks as well and you keep your money in your own account until the exchange occurs. Halo do not require any cash until the dollars are bought
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I have heard that the kiwi is unaturally strong. apparently the 10 year median is around 2.7 ish
Yep, no doubt that's right against the UK GBP, I was referring to the Kiwi$ value against a typical basket of currencies is little above it's historical norm. Well that's what I read in the the previous w/end's NZ Herald.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Well I've been a fan of 'the stronger the dollar the better' for a while as it makes the money we all earn here go further on the world stage. Unless you wish to stay in NZ for ever and never travel anywhere outside NZ, the weaker the dollar is, generally the worse off we all are.

The company I work and many many others import stuff to NZ and the imports are based on the $US/$NZ rate (also recovering well just now) so our business is currently recouping some of the losses we suffered when the $NZ dived down the loo....

My dilemma is that we also now have quite a bit of cash we're looking to transfer so I join those looking for a good rate to get the best possible sum of money here....

How do we all engineer a sharp but brief spike in the £/NZ$ rate that we can all take advantage of.....
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough

Depends, alas they offer very little interest. The best I have found is 0.7% with HSBC NZ and you have to tie it up for a year. We have found an account with Allied Irish offshore that gives 3.7% for a year..theres 50k sterling guarantee per account holder and its a bank owned by the Irish Govt. So we will put our wedge there for the next 12 months then look again. Why have it here for a paltry 0.7%??
Hi all

Always makes interesting reading everyone's take on when the dollar is going to move back up and what market factors are going to influence any movemnet. I'm no expert, so just check everyday.

i was lucky early in the year and opened an account with ANZ and got 2.8 with HiFX. I've just checked and the account is still giving me 3.15%, which is better than anything instant access in the UK. I am also looking at putting the rest into a more long term savings plan in the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Smile Re: The dollar again.

Hi we are in the same boat, We have decided to exchange just what we need for the next month and leave the rest with HIFX waiting for a rise in the Dollar. So it looks like we will be renting a house for the next year,then I think we will buy when the money is better. I HOPE!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

same as us - £20k brought over to get us a car, living costs for 6 months etc and all prospects of buying a house on hold until teambwr47 engineers a spike and the rest follows
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone prepared to buy at $2.40? It has not been this dire for many moons.
Well it finally got there! Its hovering around $2.4098 just now. Does anyone buy at this rate??? Its not been this low for 12 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got a prognosis? I know all about crystal balls but sometimes there are those who have knowledge of the long/medium and short term range of certain currencies.

The reserve bank chair keeps saying how the strong kiwi is REALLY bad for NZ and that it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too overvalued but it still keeps gaining momentum. What is occuring?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Changed at 2.361 to day with Halo

As above done 20 K UK for a car ect did 5 last week slightly higher to get the bank up and running, Nothing else is moving till it goes at least 2.5/6

So whats the thinking what rate are we all hanging on for

Neil
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

so how did the packing go? you still holding up

I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH 2.60- mind you havent even got the funds yet, so who knows what may happen in the next 6 months.

GOOD LUCK and safe journey
Chris x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

2.39!! 2.39!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Yup it,s a pisser innit

The thinking is that it,s going even lower
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Well it finally got there! Its hovering around $2.4098 just now. Does anyone buy at this rate??? Its not been this low for 12 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got a prognosis? I know all about crystal balls but sometimes there are those who have knowledge of the long/medium and short term range of certain currencies.

The reserve bank chair keeps saying how the strong kiwi is REALLY bad for NZ and that it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too overvalued but it still keeps gaining momentum. What is occuring?
I heard that there are so many NZ ers coming home from the UK and that the rate is so low they will not change their money untill the rate changes, a guy at the bank told me that the goverment is looking closley at this and that they will not allow the rate to stay like this for too long as they want the money in the NZ economy.
It makes sense to me so I think we wont have to wait to long, Im hoping not anyway!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by terrier2
I heard that there are so many NZ ers coming home from the UK and that the rate is so low they will not change their money untill the rate changes, a guy at the bank told me that the goverment is looking closley at this and that they will not allow the rate to stay like this for too long as they want the money in the NZ economy.
It makes sense to me so I think we wont have to wait to long, Im hoping not anyway!
I agree, I just know it will get better everyone should stay positive.Hang in there guys.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

I'm thinking of just changing it. The issue isn't just the $ but also the weak £ and news just looks dire on the latter. Our money can work harder over here by actually getting interest and enabling us to buy a property, particularly with prices forecast to rise as a result of supply pressures.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hosebergine
I'm thinking of just changing it. The issue isn't just the $ but also the weak £ and news just looks dire on the latter. Our money can work harder over here by actually getting interest and enabling us to buy a property, particularly with prices forecast to rise as a result of supply pressures.
Yep, $2.38 is a killer that's for sure, but can it get worse still? it can there's no doubt. Regarding another post earlier I doubt a couple of hundred or thousand or so returning NZers from the UK will have much effect on the UK GBP/NZ$ exchange rate.
Also I don't think the property market in NZ is suddenly going to be shooting up. There's more properties coming on the market now, but related to earnings they are still at a historic high level.

It ought to be the ideal time to introduce a capital gains tax on non residential homes like virtually every other country already has. No doubt though those that make the decisions have no interest in voting for such a tax as no doubt they already have second & subsequent homes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.